US Presidential Election 2020 - The Democratic Candidate for President

owedtojoy

Unusual about Gabbard is that she is very much foreign-policy focused.

[TWEET]1083952124113780737[/TWEET]

Not Tulsi Time - Lawyers, Guns Money

I think Gabbard's candidacy is great - because the party needs a variety of views, and needs to be shaken out of stale positions. This is probably not Gabbard's turn, though, but she might be one for the future.

owedtojoy

Good article on Elizabeth Warren's populist anti-corruption campaign.

"Goldman Sachs handed Gary Cohn over a quarter of a billion dollars on his way out the door to become the head of President Trump’s National Economic Council. A quarter of a billion dollars to help quarterback a tax package that included giveaways worth just over a quarter of a billion to Goldman—in the first quarter of 2018 alone.”

The Trump Administration, Warren said, “has given us the most nakedly corrupt leadership this nation has seen in our lifetimes. But they are not the cause of the rot—they’re just the biggest, stinkiest example of it."
The Expert Efficiency of Elizabeth Warren’s Populist Campaign | The New Yorker

Betson

Why was AOC the only Congressman to be booed by Republicans when she voted for Nacncy Pelosi as for Speaker?

Republicans have tweeted about where she was born, what she wears, where she went to school, how she dances ... if there ever was a derangement syndrome, this is it.

And, being true to form, ReTrumplicans then lie about the whole thing.

(Scarry is a conservative reporter with the Washington Examiner. He eventually deleted the Tweet.)

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez clothes criticized by conservative author - Business Insider
So still nothing to back up the claim that the dancing video scandalized conservatives and the GOP as Cortez and the media claimed ? But no one has come up with one example or quote to back this up.

Jack Walsh

Why was AOC the only Congressman to be booed by Republicans when she voted for Nacncy Pelosi as for Speaker?

Republicans have tweeted about where she was born, what she wears, where she went to school, how she dances ... if there ever was a derangement syndrome, this is it.

And, being true to form, ReTrumplicans then lie about the whole thing.

(Scarry is a conservative reporter with the Washington Examiner. He eventually deleted the Tweet.)

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez clothes criticized by conservative author - Business Insider

I seriously don't know which is creepier, a Hill staffer stalking her at work, taking pictures of her ass, or a jackass "reporter" trying to make news that her clothes weren't bought in a charity shop (therefore she is a fraud).

She's great, a breath of fresh air, her vibrancy, age, sex and politics are freaking out the pompous misogynist fraud Lindsay Graham set.

The comparison with Palin is ludicrous.
She's very bright academically and intellectually
Her politics will never be mainstream American (too compassionate and unselfish for starters) but she isn't a vacuous bimbo freak show.

SideysGhost

One problem the progressive Dems have is that a lot of their likely candidates are strong on one area but weak on others.

Gabbard is strong on foreign policy but has a poor record on LGBT issues. Warren is strong on Wall Street and finance issues but not great when she veers off that territory. Bernie is great on healthcare and minimum wage type issues but outside of that can struggle...and, well, he's well into his 70s.

Together they'd make a great front bench alternative Cabinet in a European-style parlimentary system. But that's not the US system, for good or ill.

The establishment Dems - Biden, Booker, Gillibrand et al - aren't a very impressive bunch tbh, no bland opportunist corporate Democrat is going to ignite the voters in 2020.

I've not seen enough of Harris or Klobuchar to make an informed assesment of where they sit. I have a suspicion O'Rourke is a show-pony without much substance (just a gut-instinct thing), and anyway he doesn't have enough relevant experience.

I still think we might see a dark horse emerge that isn't on anybody's radar right now?

Catalpast

Betson

Most of the criticism of Cortez has come from her side.

Some lawmakers with ties to Ocasio-Cortez are hoping to coax her into using her star power to unite Democrats and turn her fire on Republicans. Others simultaneously warn Ocasio-Cortez is destined for a lonely, ineffectual career in Congress if she continues to treat her own party as the enemy.
So far, most of them have kept their criticism of Ocasio-Cortez private, fearful she’ll sic her massive following on them by firing off a tweet. But a few are engaging with her in the hopes she’ll opt for a different M.O., especially when it comes to trying to take out Democrats in primaries.

She needs to decide: Does she want to be an effective legislator or just continue being a Twitter star?" one House Democrat described as being in "lockstep" with Ocasio-Cortez policy-wise .
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/11/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-democrats-establisment-1093728

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ocasio-cortez-quotes-from-watchmen-in-response-to-dem-criticism/ar-BBS7lWk

owedtojoy

That is not what you claimed. You claimed ReTrumplicans were innocent.

I think AOC needs to focus a bit more, and filter out the noise. When a non-white woman, or even a woman, or even a non-white person, shakes up the system, she can only expect to be pilloried. And some upholders of the system will be on the same team as her.

This paragraph perfectly explains why everyone in DC is so afraid of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

AOC is out of place a bit on this thread, but I mentioned her because she symbolises a new Democratic party, younger and feistier. Which is what the US wants and needs.

bokuden

I seriously don't know which is creepier, a Hill staffer stalking her at work, taking pictures of her ass, or a jackass "reporter" trying to make news that her clothes weren't bought in a charity shop (therefore she is a fraud).

She's great, a breath of fresh air, her vibrancy, age, sex and politics are freaking out the pompous misogynist fraud Lindsay Graham set.

Her politics will never be mainstream American (too compassionate and unselfish for starters) but she isn't a vacuous bimbo freak show.
That's the US's problem in a nutshell. The current system is broken. it's not delivering on any level, but a majority of Americans still believe in 'the American Dream' (i.e: make as much money as you can). It's simply unsustainable, but Americans are unable or unwilling to elect reps that can actually enact meaningful change.

bokuden

I think AOC needs to focus a bit more, and filter out the noise. When a non-white woman, or even a woman, or even a non-white person, shakes up the system, she can only expect to be pilloried. And some upholders of the system will be on the same team as her.

This paragraph perfectly explains why everyone in DC is so afraid of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

AOC is out of place a bit on this thread, but I mentioned her because she symbolises a new Democratic party. Which is what the US wants and needs.
The US needs it, but it doesn't want it, outside of a few urban enclaves perhaps.

Clanrickard

AOC is out of place a bit on this thread, but I mentioned her because she symbolises a new Democratic party. Which is what the US wants and needs.
Watch and laugh...............

[video=youtube;2gRYC67qTpc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gRYC67qTpc[/video]

[video=youtube;adsd6L-35tg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adsd6L-35tg[/video]

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2018/10/is_alexandria_ocasiocortez_the_dumbest_politician_ in_america.html

This one is the best. A total airhead.

[video=youtube;t_TYZ6VRNNg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_TYZ6VRNNg[/video]

toughbutfair

The lunatic Christian fundamentalists are all Trump cultists anyway. No serious Democrat contender is going to bother trying to pander to those eejits.

Some media sources saying we could have 20-30 declared Dem candidates by Easter :redface:

It's definitely looking like an interesting primary season! I'll wait till I see the whole field before I start thinking of a favourite, but Gabbard will be more of a contender than the Right seem to think.
Disagree , blacks and Latinos are very superstitious/religious and often wear crosses . These two groups vote heavily democratic but may find it hard to vote for someone who will be forced to say “I don’t believe in Jesus “ or “I don’t believe there is A God” , her rival will pepper her with religious questions. Easy victory IMO . If I was the republican candidate I’d be talking about my love of Jesus non stop (I’m an atheist) and turn the election into a vote about Jesus .

toughbutfair

Watch and laugh...............

[video=youtube;2gRYC67qTpc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gRYC67qTpc[/video]

[video=youtube;adsd6L-35tg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adsd6L-35tg[/video]

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2018/10/is_alexandria_ocasiocortez_the_dumbest_politician_ in_america.html

This one is the best. A total airhead.

[video=youtube;t_TYZ6VRNNg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_TYZ6VRNNg[/video]
Good clips, she clearly has no idea but some older men in grey suits can teach her. She’s well known due to being the type of girl you’d like in your bed and that will get her TV time. She looks like a Hollywood star and is very bangable and that will make many people like her. She should probably have a child or two before she runs as she will need to be a parent , which will make her a bit less sexy but more homely which will help the female vote as they can be catty about superior women.

Betson

AOC is out of place a bit on this thread, but I mentioned her because she symbolises a new Democratic party, younger and feistier. Which is what the US wants and needs.
Have you come up with any evidence yet that Republicans were scandalized by her dancing video?

Betson

Unusual about Gabbard is that she is very much foreign-policy focused.

[TWEET]1083952124113780737[/TWEET]

Not Tulsi Time - Lawyers, Guns Money

I think Gabbard's candidacy is great - because the party needs a variety of views, and needs to be shaken out of stale positions. This is probably not Gabbard's turn, though, but she might be one for the future.
It seems as long as they have the D after their name you think everyone is great regardless of their polices or political outlook..

toughbutfair

It seems as long as they have the D after their name you think everyone is great regardless of their polices or political outlook..
I don’t know much about the woman but I, and many others, agree with her support for killing Muslims in places where they produce terrorists hell bent on killing us. Nothing wrong with killing your enemy.

Betson

I don’t know much about the woman but I, and many others, agree with her support for killing Muslims in places where they produce terrorists hell bent on killing us. Nothing wrong with killing your enemy.
My point was owedtojoy thinking she was great , yet he would be foaming at the mouth with outrage if it was a Republican with those views , supporting Russian attacks in Syria , meeting Assad , staunch critic of Obama foreign policy etc .

Interestingly she can cite Steve Bannon as one of her supporters when it comes to foreign policy as has praised her stances in the past. Maybe Steve can stump for her on the campaign trail and we will have Owedtojoy and Jack Walsh on here telling us how great Steve Bannon is now that he is on their side.

arsenal

Gabbard is a house rep from Hawaii,she will go nowhere and will withdraw before Iowa even begins,like most of the field. It will be a big field with about 8-10 who could win the nomination,but about 4 need a really good performance in Iowa and NEW Hampshire.There will be about 6 serious candidates for the long term.