US to recognise Jerusalem as Israel's capital.

Hillmanhunter1

Have told Trump not to recognise Jerusalem as capital of Israel:

- Saudi Arabia
- Turkey
- France
- Germany
- European Union
- UN Secretary General
- Egypt
- Jordan
- Palestinian Authority
- Kuwait
- Qatar
- Arab League

(Acknowledgement @spectatorindex)

wombat

- Saudi Arabia
- Turkey
- France
- Germany
- European Union
- UN Secretary General
- Egypt
- Jordan
- Palestinian Authority
- Kuwait
- Qatar
- Arab League

Will he care?

HenryHorace

Well done President Trump.

Hillmanhunter1

Will he care?
Probably not, but there must be a very real risk of attacks/demonstrations at US embassies from Morocco to Indonesia.

Of course this will not bother Trump - in fact he will use it to his advantage.

ShoutingIsLeadership

I'm sure we will find out.

I presume you're talking about concession to the Muslim world and the OIC countries BTW.

Wrt helping the Palestinian people have their own state, the Israelis have always been generous.

But the real problem that has always inhibited progress is the 57 Muslim states, and this action is bringing that fact to the fore.
Generous. Lols

roc_

- Saudi Arabia
- Turkey
- France
- Germany
- European Union
- UN Secretary General
- Egypt
- Jordan
- Palestinian Authority
- Kuwait
- Qatar
- Arab League

Indeed. Well, perhaps we are getting to the root of things, though I guess Trump will eventually back-track on this.

[video=youtube;qFkAY3IJL2k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFkAY3IJL2k[/video]

Edit - Understanding the Arab-Israeli Conflict

Last edited:

Catalpast

Israel recognises Jerusalem as the Capital of Israel

- in fact it is the Capital of Israel

Six months from now this will be a non story....

roc_

Hard to say. The Wahhabis despise Jews but they despise Shiites (read Iran) even more.
Yeah, but Israel is not dealing with the Wahhabists. They are dealing with those elements of the Royals including the current king who have demonstrated their willingness to confront the powerful wahhabi clerics and wealthy radical families like the bin ladens. In case you missed it, they have many of them imprisoned in a hotel at the moment.

Hewson

What’s America getting for this? You give something, you get something. I don’t see the transaction here politically. Which makes one very suspicious that Don has been learning from his Russian friends and is looking to line his pockets for the next campaign and beyond.
America is getting nothing for this, just more security headaches, alienation from its one-time friends and the loss of any final vestige of credibility as honest broker in the Middle East.

Trump, on the other hand, gets a few days of relief as his personal finances and connections to corrupt Russian oligarchs move out of the limelight.

former wesleyan

A proposed fudge:-

A How-To Guide for Moving the U.S. Embassy to Jerusalem - The Washington Institute for Near East Policy

Choose a location for the embassy in Jerusalem that is clearly west of the 1949 armistice line, also known as the 1967 line. This part of Jerusalem has been under undisputed Israeli sovereignty since there was a modern state of Israel. This part has nothing holy in it -- it is humdrum neighborhoods (I know, I grew up there).

Don't be tempted to place the embassy in the area that was the no-man's land before 1967, where some claim land has already been purchased for that purpose, and certainly nowhere east of the 1967 lines.

Call out those Palestinians, Arabs, and Muslims who are threatening violence over the U.S. move for their real meaning: are they denying that Jerusalem west of the 1967 line clearly belongs to Israel? Are they laying claim to that territory too? After decades of asking the world to limit Jewish and Israeli claims east of the 1967 line, are they demanding Israel west of that line for themselves as well? If Palestinians, Arabs, and Muslims oppose the U.S. move, as outlined above, they are essentially saying that Israel even within the 1967 lines is illegitimate, and thereby expose their enduring maximalist claims.

roc_

America is getting nothing for this, just more security headaches, alienation from its one-time friends and the loss of any final vestige of credibility as honest broker in the Middle East.

Trump, on the other hand, gets a few days of relief as his personal finances and connections to corrupt Russian oligarchs move out of the limelight.
I think the problem is more, much too honest an approach for anyone's liking. Much easier do the john Kerry kind of optics that moves everyone backwards eventually.

parentheses

Kushner is a very destabilising, troublemaking element in the White House.

As far as I know, Netanyahu has long-standing ties to the Kushner family.

Trainwreck

You can’t dispute that this adminstration is decisive and makes decisions. Obama, Bush, whoever didn’t have the balls to do something like this.

Remember the Senate voted unanimously to do this. Now so many of those same politicians are squirming at the idea of it actually happening.

Trump is a breath of fresh air. He isn’t a politician and doesn’t act like one. That is a good thing.

ellie08

Every US president would wish for the legacy of having brought peace to the middle east.

It has to be acknowledged, Trump is going after the central issue here.
I'd say he has great insight into the history of the region :cool:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies