• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

USC: What to Do?

statsman

A Dept of Finance briefing document, obtained under FOI by Sinn Féin finance spokesperson Pearse Doherty outlines four possible scenarios if FG were to carry out their promise to abolish USC:

• to raise property tax by 600%.
  • to increase indirect taxes, which could see the cost of petrol and diesel rise by 18c per litre, while a pint of beer would be up by €1.50.
  • to increase income taxes by 5%.
  • to phase out over time, using the available fiscal space.

600% rise in property tax among USC alternatives - RTÉ News

The last of these is most closely aligned with the original promise to abolish the tax by 2020. But should we get rid of USC or reform it?

In my view, it was introduced as a short-term measure and should be abolished over time, in a progressive manner.

Levellers

Of the three new taxes it is the fairest of them - much fairer than either Water or Property.

former wesleyan

A Dept of Finance briefing document, obtained under FOI by Sinn Féin finance spokesperson Pearse Doherty outlines four possible scenarios if FG were to carry out their promise to abolish USC:

• to increase indirect taxes, which could see the cost of petrol and diesel rise by 18c per litre, while a pint of beer would be up by €1.50.

The last of these is most closely aligned with the original promise to abolish the tax by 2020. But should we get rid of USC or reform it?

In my view, it was introduced as a short-term measure and should be abolished over time, in a progressive manner.
As I said on another similar thread, the USC should be diverted to create a health service.

Eire1976

Time for a new stealth tax

Can the environment be milked in any way?

statsman

As I said on another similar thread, the USC should be diverted to create a health service.
That other thread doesn't actually engage with what the briefing proposed.

How much more money does health need to create a health service? Is anyone involved in the profession here actually capable of that task?

Eire1976

How much more money does health need to create a health service? Is anyone involved in the profession here actually capable of that task?
The issue isn't money, its lazy staff.

Socratus O' Pericles

I don't think so. It is an awful mess and it would require a dictator to sort out all the vested interests. But I'm not recommending that.........

publicrealm

Time for a new stealth tax

Can the environment be milked in any way?

What about a water tax - to, like, conserve water. Genius or what - and the gobsh1tes might just buy into it.

Think of the potential - jobs for the lads (+ 'performance' bonuses, snigger) and a shedload of Local Authority staff taken off the books.

Ramp the charges up over time (blame Ankela) and siphon off (!) the cream for miscellaneous 'vital' services.

wexfordman

Of the three new taxes it is the fairest of them - much fairer than either Water or Property.
Water:- Water tax:- PAY per use, allows people to conserve and manage usage, and a relatively low charge. Badly implemented, badly managed and wastefull as with most taxes in this coutnry.

Property:- Completely un controllable by the payee, arbitrarily based on what someone else perceives to be the value of your property (not what you paid for, or what you could have paid for), completely unrelated to occupancy rate, services available, used, cost of delivery of those services. Does nothing to improve effeceincy or reduce waste/
USC:- Based on the perceived welath of an individual, arbitrary, unfair, excessive and abused.

God forgive me for saying this but of the ones you listed, water is the only one that could even remotely be described as fair.

Barna

What about a water tax - to, like, conserve water. Genius or what - and the gobsh1tes might just buy into it.

Think of the potential - jobs for the lads (+ 'performance' bonuses, snigger) and a shedload of Local Authority staff taken off the books.

Ramp the charges up over time (blame Ankela) and siphon off (!) the cream for miscellaneous 'vital' services.
Na, they tried that.
It FFailed.

Eire1976

Now you're getting it.

Massage the figures all the way to the offshore bank

Ramon Mercadar

Raise the dog license fee by 1000%

Socratus O' Pericles

The issue in the health service is not funding but the bureaucracy that drains it.
It isn't just that.

The Health Insurance v public patient creates a huge sink hole for favouritism, gouging and preferential treatment on monetary rather than Health need criteria.

There are vested interests at each professional and support level within the many, many organisations.

The split between "Voluntary" and "State " hospitals is incongruous, wasteful and opaque.

The role of churches in Health Care is divisive and not in the best interests of delivering a streamlined service--too many turf wars.

The Unions have a lot to answer for.

A unified, streamlined, egalitarian and computerised system is required.

We are miles away from that. I don't favour "private" medicine.

Socratus O' Pericles

Can a Denis O' Brien company get control of installing the infrastructure, running the service, maintain it, setting the charges and collecting them. This company to get billions of €uro from the state to enable it to get over the difficult set up phase?

Cite Cerve perhaps?

After his term as Commissioner P. Hogan could be (re) employed as Head of Public Relations.

Socratus O' Pericles

I'm listening to this now:

[video=youtube;q4VWKbZkIcM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4VWKbZkIcM[/video]

..when its over I'm going to work, its getting near tax returns time.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies