Use of EU flag by non-EU countries

StripeyCat

I've always vaguely wondered why the protestants of Europe don't get more upset by the obvious iconography of the flag

The designer of the flag was quite open about his inspiration coming from depictions of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and the European flag was even formally adopted on 8 December 1955, the Feastday of the Immaculate Conception.

fergalr

The circle of twelve stars symbolises perfection and unity. Which is the end goal for the European project, you'd like to think. That and a colony in Chad, apparently.

R

Rathmines_Corkonian

fergalr said:
A great many small European states see the EU as a beacon of hope, prosperity and stability... three things not present for a long time in their neighbourhoods. Rather than expressing scorn or incredulity, I'm proud of the tremendous project our nation has contributed to.
The EU is a beacon of hope, but its moving very close to becoming a bastion of control. Whats with all the Georgian flags appearing at the moment, will there be a politics.ie brigade going to fight soon in Georgia

NotDevsSon

ibis said:
NotDevsSon said:
BaudrillardNeverExisted said:
As has been pointed out on another thread, the Georgian president has been giving speeches with two flags visible in the background: the Georgian flag and the EU flag. Georgia is not even a candidate country for the EU.

In the centre of the Albanian capital Tirana, a large EU flag stands beside the Albanian flag and a statue of the national hero. In the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia and Bosnia-Herzegovina, EU flags are flying pretty much everywhere. In fact EU flags are far easier to spot flying in countries that are not members of the EU than in member states.

What is the legal status regarding the use of the EU flag - should this use by non-members be allowed? How do other posters feel about their identities (as citizens of a member state of the EU) being associated with non-members through the use of this flag? What does this say about the national identities of these non-member states - can something as simple as a flag of a supra-national body really be significant in their attempt to break away from Russian-dominated/Serbian-dominated/Communist past?
It is also the flag of the Council of Europe. Prodi as President of the Commission proposed a new flag for the EU but it was hideous and never adopted.
It was absolutely vile - like a coloured barcode:

Yuch. I forget just how bad it was. It looks like a 1970s floor mat!

Catalpa

StripeyCat said:
I've always vaguely wondered why the protestants of Europe don't get more upset by the obvious iconography of the flag

The designer of the flag was quite open about his inspiration coming from depictions of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and the European flag was even formally adopted on 8 December 1955, the Feastday of the Immaculate Conception.
I think the Big Man up North did state once upon a time that the European Movement was a Papist Conspiracy.... :D

ibis

Catalpa said:
StripeyCat said:

I think the Big Man up North did state once upon a time that the European Movement was a Papist Conspiracy.... :D
I think that was a Tory candidate:

A Tory candidate who believes the EU is a Catholic plot to impose Vatican sovereignty over Britain was today accused by the Catholic church of preaching a conspiracy theory traditionally associated with the far right.

In an article in the Spectator magazine, Adrian Hilton, who is standing in Slough, argued that "a Catholic EU will inevitably result in the subjugation of Britain's Protestant ethos to Roman Catholic social, political and religious teaching".

Mind you, this one is from ianpaisley.org:

Subsequent Vatican pronouncements and developments in the Community vindicate that view. Pope John XXIII envisaged a European religio-political monster which he called "the Greatest [Roman] Catholic superstate the world has ever known". (The Papal Nuncio in Brussels was later to describe the EU as "a [Roman] Catholic confederation of States".) United within the ancient boundaries of the Holy Roman Empire by the common spiritual bond of religion, in a burgeoning and booming industrial economy, situated geographically in the world's most productive industrial complex, it would march onto the scene of world history – so said John XXIII – as "the greatest single human force ever seen by man".

The Brussels bureaucrats danced to Rome's tune, admitting in 1973 the Vatican's lackey the Irish Republic and the first two Protestant nations earmarked by the Pope: Denmark and the United Kingdom. We know very well why the UK took so long to make up its mind: joining the Continental Europeans meant a dramatic withdrawal from a global tradition of independence and democracy; but did we recognise the plot to undermine the Protestant heritage of our Nation, whose Queen is the Defender of the Faith? Romanism and Irish Republicanism, the traditional enemies of our British way of life which is founded on the principles of Protestant freedom, could thus once again in our history – this time in the guise of economic expediency – join forces against us.

CelticAtheist

Aggressor said:

Lisbon would have been passed if the Christian ethics guiding the formation of the union had been acknowledged. All they had to do was put that on a poster.
Sad, but not entirely inaccurate.

paulmccormack

It is also the flag of the Council of Europe. Prodi as President of the Commission proposed a new flag for the EU but it was hideous and never adopted.

That said, it would be very very usual for a state have a Council of Europe flag alongside a national flag, and he certainly is not entitled to fly the EU flag. He is a media stunt - fly the Council of Europe, have millions of people think it is the EU flag he has up and then think Georgia is in the EU. (And yes, people are that dumb. A majority of Americans could not find France on a map in a survey five years ago. But then Gorbachev famously thought Queen Elizabeth II was also Queen of Ireland! When he asked Haughey to give his regards to "Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II of Ireland" Haughey was reportedly very very angry!!!) So the odds are that millions have fallen for the stunt and think Georgia is in the EU![/quote]

I've sat and read this website for too long, and read so much of your drivel.

The EU flag is seen by mean in eastern Europe as a sign of democracy and freedom, during the Orange Revolution in Ukraine, it was being waved by hundreds of people. It's flown by mean in the east who wish to have the same opportunites and benefits of those in the west.

eurosceptic

It also seems to a symbol of fear of russia which i see as the reason all the eastern countries want in and those who are in are prepare to accept poor treaties like lisbon.

Socratus O' Pericles

The second one from the left, middle row, looks decidedly dodgy to me.

Top Bottom