Useless virtue-signalling Dublin City Councillors vote to fly Catalan flag over city hall.

Mick Mac

I am from Dublin. I work in town. The place is in a state unfortunately. The town and its population have many issues. I’m quite annoyed they prioritized the organisation of this statement over of these issues. They were elected to Run Dublin, not this.
The people Ireland elected to make these statements (central government) said they don’t recognize Catalans independence. Local government should get their priorities in order.
I do sympathize with this sentiment even they I very much want to see a Catalonia and think it's positive nationalism is the way of the future and the antidote to neo liberalism's agenda.

But does this not reveal the impotence of Dublin council more than anything.

Hibee

The Dublin electorate who voted for these fruit the loops can rest assured that they aren't wasting their time with trivial issues like housing , waste management , planning and environmental issues

Myers Mimnagh

I'm afraid the people who voted for these clowns won't understand the tenor of the above post.

PC Principle

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Whilst that barn does have a door, I left years ago.

Never been better off.

:lol:

benroe

Why are we surprised when the idiots we elect do stupid things?

de valera's' giddy goat

so our elected capital city representatives decide they want to be controversial and radical and fly the flag of a province, thereby causing offence to one of Ireland's oldest allies, Spain. If this is how the left wing behave at local level, how on earth can they be trusted to govern the country

Odyessus

If he was a councillor from another city passing a motion to condemn Dublin city council you’d have a point.

He isn’t, so you don’t.

He’s expressing an opinion about Irish politics on an Irish political website.

That is what P.ie is for.

The Dublin councillors are using Dublin City Council and Dublin Town Hall to express their views on international politics.

That is not what their role, Dublin City Council or Dublin Town Hall are for.

I agree. Just a minor correction. Dublin City Council meets in City Hall, not Town Hall. (The clue is in the name.) :)

PC Principle

so our elected capital city representatives decide they want to be controversial and radical and fly the flag of a province, thereby causing offence to one of Ireland's oldest allies, Spain. If this is how the left wing behave at local level, how on earth can they be trusted to govern the country
Everything turns to shît under the left.

Canada
Sweden
U.K. (Yes it is)
Ireland (yes it is)
Germany
France

Could go on.

Blokesbloke

I agree. Just a minor correction. Dublin City Council meets in City Hall, not Town Hall. (The clue is in the name.) :)
Well spotted. I like to insert the odd mistake just to avoid the impression of perfection... :rolleyes:

Myers Mimnagh

Luckily we will never have to worry about that, kid.

loner

This sort of nonsense in the City Council when we have so many issues in the city that need urgent attention is deplorable--councilors who engage in this type of tomfoolery should get a sharp answer from the electorate if they stand for re election

Hewson

https://www.independent.ie/irish-ne...ing-catalan-flag-over-city-hall-36283499.html

Not long ago, the elected leftie geniuses of DCC flew the Palestinian flag over city hall in solidarity with radical Islamic terrorism.
Whatever point you wanted to make about the Madrid/Catalunya issue went out the window immediately after the above intro.

You then went on to rant and dribble, as you always do, about any point of view that exists outside that two inch by two inch bubble you live in, lumping a variety of political spectrums under the heading of 'leftist fvcktards'.

I've no idea what age you are but I reckon maturity is either an unattainable ambition for you or something you left on a bus when you were drunk.

Myers Mimnagh

Whatever point you wanted to make about the Madrid/Catalunya issue went out the window immediately after the above intro.

You then went on to rant and dribble, as you always do, about any point of view that exists outside that two inch by two inch bubble you live in, lumping a variety of political spectrums under the heading of 'leftist fvcktards'.

I've no idea what age you are but I reckon maturity is either an unattainable ambition for you or something you left on a bus when you were drunk.
Guy has a point and is right.

Suck it up,mate.

Hewson

Guy has a point and is right.

Suck it up,mate.
Well, given that flash of objective genius I suppose I'd better defer to your better judgement. :roll:

TakeitAll

https://www.independent.ie/irish-ne...ing-catalan-flag-over-city-hall-36283499.html

Not long ago, the elected leftie geniuses of DCC flew the Palestinian flag over city hall in solidarity with radical Islamic terrorism.

Now these same useless fücktards have voted to fly the Catalan flag over city hall in solidarity with a dubious Declaration of Independence from the “brutal fascists” in Madrid. The many Spaniards who live and work here must be looking on with contempt.

You might have thought that the shinners, lefties and greenies that pollute public discourse in Dublin city would be preoccupied with dealing with the catastrophic drug, organised crime, alcohol and mental health crisis that plagues large tracts of the city. You would have thought wrong.

Leftie poseurs have no interest in the welfare of Dubliners. They do have an interest in stuff happening far away that they don’t understand as long it provides an opportunity to pose as a do-gooding leftie prïck.

Despicable parasites.
Have the useless pr1cks nothing better to be doing. Why the hell would this Catalan thing even get on to an Agenda. It just is a reminder if we had forgot about the lack of accountability in city and county councils across this country. They can basically do what they want.

Expose the lot of them

Quite. So instead of wasting time on “gestures” on things they cannot influence, they should use the time to actually do something real about the things they not only can influence but are paid to sort out.
Unfortunately several years ago most of the real power was taken from the elected representatives and handed over to the unelected "executive". These unaccountable overpaid, incompetent, apparatchiks have, among other things, handed the city wide bin collections to a private company, registered offshore.

This shady deal was done without any pretense of a tender, to this day neither the elected representatives nor the citizens know how much money changed hands and what direction.

The current incumbent, a leader of the cycling Taliban who turned Dun Laoghaire into a wasteland in his last sinecure, has declared war on the motorist in the city, removing lanes and now there is talk of almost doubling the parking charges in the city.

He has also decided to destroy mature trees in order to build yet another cycle lane less than 100 yards from a perfectly functioning cycle lane. Not satisfied with all that his latest brain storm is to suggest building on parks and green spaces in the city. If he had any interest in housing he would be fast tracking the development of the acres of brownfield sites in the city centre. He would also ensure that rogue developers are not allowed to allow listed and other architecturally and historically important buildings fall into dereliction.

So while the elected representatives have their faults many of the things that you suggest they should be taking care of, like bin collections, have been removed from their remit.

Mercurial

If he was a councillor from another city passing a motion to condemn Dublin city council you’d have a point.

He isn’t, so you don’t.

He’s expressing an opinion about Irish politics on an Irish political website.

That is what P.ie is for.

The Dublin councillors are using Dublin City Council and Dublin Town Hall to express their views on international politics.

That is not what their role, Dublin City Council or Dublin Town Hall are for.
I never claimed that p.ie isn't for expressing outrage. I'm simply pointing out the hypocrisy inherent in the OP.

The Dublin councillors can express whatever political views they like. They, unlike the OP, might even lose their jobs if it turns out that they express views that enough people disagree with.

Expose the lot of them

The Dublin electorate who voted for these fruit the loops can rest assured that they aren't wasting their time with trivial issues like housing , waste management , planning and environmental issues
All of which are controlled by the "executive" not the elected representatives. Have you forgotten Tierney and the Greyhound debacle?

Mercurial

I understand People Before Profit proposed this?

PBP do have TDs, do they not?

So why aren’t they bringing this up in the Dáil which is the proper forum for it, addressing the Dublin-based national government which is responsible for international affairs and not the Dublin-based local government, which is not?

If the councillors had condemned Apartheid South Africa in 1984 and passed a motion supporting striking Dunnes workers, for example, no reasonable person would have thought their actions inappropriate merely because it concerns international politics.

cytex

They can express what ever private views they like just like any other citizen . The should not be able to use government resources for expressing those views .. This is taxpayers money they are wasting discuss international politics on a LOCAL council (hint to what they should be discussing is in the name) . We the taxpayer do not pay them to do this we pay the gob************************es in the Dail to do that . So a cut in their wages for the time wasted discussing this along with rembursing the taxpayer for buying the flag etc.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies