USIT nosedives to become 1st Irish Travel Agency to become a victim of CV19 - will it be the last?

Catahualpa

Website
irelandinhistory.blogspot.com
Looks like the shock of a world wide pandemic has claimed its 1st victim here in the Travel Agency World:

THE KINLAY GROUP, which operates USIT Ireland and The English Studio, has gone into liquidation due to “the tsunami of effects related to the Covid-19 pandemic”. The company’s board said after exploring all other possible alternatives, it has had “no option” but to apply to the court to have a provisional liquidator appointed to their businesses.

Beloved of generations of students for its cheap offers to travel around on shoestring budgets [incl your s truly] it has now nosedived into liquidation...

Its an industry that relies on high turnovers and razor sharp margins to stay airborne so maybe this is not too surprising + many people just book direct online and leave them out these days.

I know some others are struggling too - wont mention names - but this will surely be a game of Survival of the Fittest when the dust has finally settled...

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Vaguely remember USIT alright, think they had some kind of student membership when I was mad for inter-railing and you could get good discounts with the card as well- if it is the same organisation.

Pity about this, I benefited greatly on a small budget with them at times.

Emily Davison

Vaguely remember USIT alright, think they had some kind of student membership when I was mad for inter-railing and you could get good discounts with the card as well- if it is the same organisation.

Pity about this, I benefited greatly on a small budget with them at times.
That is them. I used them to get my J1. My memory of them though was it was some kind of racket. That students had no choice but to use them as they had some kind of monopoly. Also they were on campus. And to get the J1 you were obliged to purchase your flight, Aer Lingus, via them.

Catahualpa

Website
irelandinhistory.blogspot.com
That is them. I used them to get my J1. My memory of them though was it was some kind of racket. That students had no choice but to use them as they had some kind of monopoly. Also they were on campus. And to get the J1 you were obliged to purchase your flight, Aer Lingus, via them.
There were a lot less choices around in those days that is true

- but I cant complain they did have some great deals that you would not get elsewhere at the time.

Top Bottom