• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

UUP can't follow erstwhile colleague John McAllister's logic.

theloner

John McAllister sponsored an event to commemorate the Easter Rising of 1916. The Rising is a hallowed date in Irish history and was the most significant uprising in Ireland since the rebellion of 1798. It's remembered officially across Ireland by hundreds of thousands every spring. However, the UUP has reduced these events as 'a celebration of rebellion and attacks on British Soldiers', and strongly criticised McAllister for sponsoring it.

Now a group of UUP councillors have accused John McAllister of supporting the 'warped version of history' authored by SF. But here's the kicker, all events up in Stormont require a nationalist and unionist sponsor in order to happen. John McAllister is coming from the angle of 'if you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours'. He said of the UUP fury:

“I am proud of the very wide range of groups I personally have hosted at Stormont, including South Down UUP events. On each occasion I have required the sponsorship of a nationalist MLA to facilitate this. The co-operation of these nationalist MLAs have allowed me to host local Royal British Legion, UDR Associations and various award-winning bands at Parliament Buildings.”

This seems to be lost on the UUP, and directly in contradiction to their party's stance on respect and commemorative anniversaries throughout this decade, not least the fact that many of the commemorative anniversaries throughout the decade have international as well as local significance and will inevitably attract higher numbers of visitors to the region. Or does this only extend to unionist commemorations?

This comes at a time when a new 'protestant/unionist' party has been founded by extremists. The logic UUP is following on this small issue is akin to shooting oneself in the foot. Like the Protestant Coalition, diluting the importance of the Rising or naming a party the Protestant Coalition in 2013 disenfranchises all those catholic unionists who, according to the Spotlight poll, are happy and content with the constitutional status quo of NI.

In Stormont it's a FACT that two sponsors are needed to give the green light for events and in the immature politics of NI, why would anyone be surprised when the UUP are looking for a nationalist sponsor for an RUC event down the line can't go ahead because no nationalist was willing to sponsor it? I know for a fact John McAllister would have a better chance of securing such an event than Glenn Barr, Elizabeth Ingram, John Hanna, Harold McKee, David Taylor, Andy Moffett, Robert Burgess, Walter Lyons or Dessie Patterson, the signatures of this UUP statement. It's seems many within the UUP still don't understand the meaning of reasonable. A far cry from Trimble's pledge over a decade ago.

UUP attack John McCallister over Sinn Fein event - Regional - Belfast Newsletter

Executive statement on Decade of Centenaries | Northern Ireland Executive

Last edited:

devonish

Good man, a bit of vision and common sense goes a long way.

Ren84

Fair fuks to McAllister. He's clearly in the wrong party by displaying that level of tolerance.

theloner

vivabrigada

He actually quit the UUP in Feb. Him and Basil McCrea jumped ship after Mike TV single-handedly turned the UUP into the DUP in a matter of weeks. Some magic trick, only the clever ones noticed.
BBC News - John McCallister and Basil McCrea resign from the UUP
My wife has very little time for politics and thought Media Mike might bring a bit of sanity to the politics here. She now can't stand him.
Just yesterday he jumped in with Jim Allister over the maze, as if being Robinson's poodle wasn't bad enough.
The collapse of the former UUP office in Derry the other day sums up the party now.

Ren84

He actually quit the UUP in Feb. Him and Basil McCrea jumped ship after Mike TV single-handedly turned the UUP into the DUP in a matter of weeks. Some magic trick, only the clever ones noticed.
BBC News - John McCallister and Basil McCrea resign from the UUP
I really need to keep up with news from Norn Irn. Cheers, now I remember him. Thought he was skipping off to the Alliance Party? Surely as an independent what he does is his own damn business and not one for the UUP to be making arses of themselves, as usual.

PeacefulViking

What about the alliance party? Do they need to find supporters from both sets of opponents if they want to have an event?

Ren84

What about the alliance party? Do they need to find supporters from both sets of opponents if they want to have an event?
Not sure what events Alliance hold dear. Probably something bland and boring like a church raffle or something.

devonish

My wife has very little time for politics and thought Media Mike might bring a bit of sanity to the politics here. She now can't stand him.
Just yesterday he jumped in with Jim Allister over the maze, as if being Robinson's poodle wasn't bad enough.
The collapse of the former UUP office in Derry the other day sums up the party now.
Nesbitt has been one huge disappointment, not just in terms of policy but also on pure ability.

devonish

Not sure what events Alliance hold dear. Probably something bland and boring like a church raffle or something.
If it was a tree huggers convention then obvioulsy SF would provide support.

Swords Hoopster

Why can't all Unionists be like McAllister and McRea? And the posters on here like Caulfield and Devonish?

Maximum respect to the man.

devonish

I really need to keep up with news from Norn Irn. Cheers, now I remember him. Thought he was skipping off to the Alliance Party? Surely as an independent what he does is his own damn business and not one for the UUP to be making arses of themselves, as usual.
It's political posturing, he's the sitting MLA and the UUP will clearly want to take back the seat.

C

Castle Ray

Good question. I don't know the answer to that. It's a weird thing this double 'them n us' positioning for holding events.

It's a fairly weird location to hold an Easter 1916 event, though each to their own. McCallister is one of, if not the most sensible MLA in Stormont. I expect common sense like this from him, and I expect no sense from the UUP. That's what has happened.

between the bridges

Why can't all Unionists be like McAllister and McRea? And the posters on here like Caulfield and Devonish?

Maximum respect to the man.
Why can't all nationalists be like Rory mac and all posters like G4...

IrishWelshCelt

Fairplay to McCallister himself and McCrea have really impressed me with their modern viewpoint on the world that attempts to encompass all sectors of society. If I were a nationalist in NI I'd actually consider giving his new party my 3rd preference in elections after SF/SDLP.

theloner

Why can't all posters just be like BTB?

C

Castle Ray

Fairplay to McCallister himself and McCrea have really impressed me with their modern viewpoint on the world that attempts to encompass all sectors of society. If I were a nationalist in NI I'd actually consider giving his new party my 3rd preference in elections after SF/SDLP.
I think McCrea is unimpressive. He tries to be like everyone and ends up being no one. How's his new party going btw?

Just Jack

I think McCrea is unimpressive. He tries to be like everyone and ends up being no one. How's his new party going btw?
He’s trying to build a modern, secular, liberal, progressive, forward–thinking party. So I’d imagine it’s doing terribly among unionists.

Republic32

I've said it before,i would certainly consider voting for McCrea or McAllister if they stood in FST. Trevor Ringland is another one of the "good guys".