UVF asked to assassinate Haughey?

puffin

C J ,was corrupt and malleable much better to leave him in place, as you would an African Colonel, I am sure the British had the goods on him, which the media could have used at any time, I remember reading in Private Eye, about his affair, which was ignored in the Southern Media no surprise about that , but Media in the UK did not follow it up either, even as an inside page story, this would suggest some arm twisting by the foreign office.

PBP voter

It's fake news to sell a FF coalition to people like the op.

He now thinks a FF gangster is ok.

Catalpast

C J ,was corrupt and malleable much better to leave him in place, as you would an African Colonel, I am sure the British had the goods on him, which the media could have used at any time, I remember reading in Private Eye, about his affair, which was ignored in the Southern Media no surprise about that , but Media in the UK did not follow it up either, even as an inside page story, this would suggest some arm twisting by the foreign office.
I remember my Uncle telling me about this affair years before it ever made the Press here or abroad

In a place the size of Ireland it would be hard to keep it a secret in political and media circles anyway

As for the OP I think someone was pulling a Loyalist's Leg here....:cool:

Last edited:

between the bridges

Reminds moi of those how to write a letter lessons at skool, mind you moi didn't realise that they actually got posted...

making waves

I remember my Uncle telling me about this affair years before it ever made the Press here or abroad

In a place the size of Ireland it would be hard to keep it a secret in political and media circles anyway
What Haughey did in the privacy of his,own bedroom (or a booth in some posh restaurant) was entirely his own business - what he was not entitled to do was to use my tax (or the bribe of some rich f*cker that he helped avoid tax) to pay for it.

RasherHash

Cai

Quite frankly, given the amateurish nature of loyalist paramilitaries it’s hard to see MI5 outsourcing a ‘job’ of such import. Presumably this letter was an attempt at unnerving Haughey, if indeed it was issued the UVF high command.
Well Dublin & Monaghan were outsourced.

Dame_Enda

Affairs are not seen as a resigning matter in Catholic countries generally. It's more of an issue in Protestant countries with a Puritan history. Puritanism historically emphasised public shaming. For centuries it was considered surprising if kings did not have mistresses, but when the Protestant William III granted ex Jacobite lands to his mistress Elizabeth Villiers, there was a backlash and Parliament revoked the grant.

Catalpast

What Haughey did in the privacy of his,own bedroom (or a booth in some posh restaurant) was entirely his own business - what he was not entitled to do was to use my tax (or the bribe of some rich f*cker that he helped avoid tax) to pay for it.
I disagree - a Man in Public Life must be seen to conduct his affairs with Dignity

Loyalty to your Wife being one of them

Yes he is to be condemned for Tax avoidance

- even more so given the positions he held over the years incl Minister for Finance (1966–1970), and as Taoiseach

There is no evidence he accepted bribes that allowed anyone to illegally avoid paying their taxes

- there is of course evidence he accepted payments from businessmen not noted for giving away money for nothing....

Go Figure!:cool:

:|

DexterGreen22

I think it is not at all far-fetched to imply that Loyalists may have had a better sense of morality than the British.

If I recall correctly, it was alleged that the British-connected members of the Glennane gang wanted Loyalists to target a Catholic primary school and wipe out children. The Loyalist leaders in Belfast refused to allow the operation.
It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Iv'e always had more time for the average working class Unionist than London, they generally have some sense of morality that the British Intelligence don't have.

You normally know where you stand with them too, the Brits are a hell of a lot more deceptive.

former wesleyan

Niall996

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Iv'e always had more time for the average working class Unionist than London, they generally have some sense of morality that the British Intelligence don't have.

You normally know where you stand with them too, the Brits are a hell of a lot more deceptive.
Hang on. It's meant to be us and the British cosily aligned against the nutter Loyalist/Prods. One little letter and now it's us and the Loyalists cosily together versus the Brits!! Such seismic shifts in allegiances over the toss of a coin could never happen in Ireland surely?

McTell

Twitter
No
He may have been a philandering theiving Carvet shirt wearing gombeen extraordinaire but if the two main sets of the British secret service want you dead you can't have been all that bad?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/loyalists-told-charles-haughey-mi5-asked-us-to-execute-you-1.3339804?mode=amp

If it looks like a wind-up, and sounds like a wind-up, it probably is a wind-up.

:roll:

Or maybe you prefer to believe everything the UVF has ever said?

borntorum

Haughey was not worth taking out.
Agreed, they had no need to while they had a weak, anti-nationalist leader of FG in place.

The Times reports today that HM The Queen was very fond of Garrett the Good. How spiffing!

realistic1

If it looks like a wind-up, and sounds like a wind-up, it probably is a wind-up.

:roll:

Or maybe you prefer to believe everything the UVF has ever said?
Who knows what the truth is, but one things for sure is that the British intelligence agencies must have had a hell of a lot of the Irish Establishment compromised, when one looks at the amount of corruption and sexual abuse that was taken place in the ROI in the 70s and 80s.

The Rahenyite

Affairs are not seen as a resigning matter in Catholic countries generally.
What about the Charles Stewart Parnell/Kitty O'Shea controversy in the 1890s? The affair ruined his career and caused his premature death.

Dame_Enda

What about the Charles Stewart Parnell/Kitty O'Shea controversy in the 1890s? The affair ruined his career and caused his premature death.
The driving force in that was the British Nonconformist voter base of the 'Liberal' Party in the UK. Its true that the Catholic bishops also condemned Parnell, but for most of the 1800s the Irish RCC were constantly pandering to Westminister to get concessions from the British govt including the seminary at Maynooth and Catholic control of education. Parnell was not the first UK (as it was then) stateman to have mistresses - far from it.

eoghanacht

Ignore Dame, he's a Trumpster thus allowing him to almost supernatural power to hold an opinion on spite of all the evidence to the contrary.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies