Vacant property in Leitrim

Aristodemus

Listening to the George Hook Show tonight he had an academic from NUI Maynooth on who was talking about "ghost estates" throughout the country and the extent of vacant properties everywhere. The county with the highest rate of unoccupied houses was Co Leitrim where fully 1/3 of properties are vacant. The main reason for this was the fact that the whole county had S23 status which meant development was haphazard at best and went on in even the most inappropriate places. This effectively made it a microcosm of the whole country.
One of the effects which the panel never mentioned was that these properties are effectively subsidising landlords as many of these same properties were acquired by landlords just to avail of S23 status and reduce the rental income for tax purposes. Over time these properties will have cost their owners nothing.

DCon

NAMA could end up sponsoring the Leitrim GAA team :)

old westie

dont agree

Mine is in the most appropriate forum
I dont agre that your forum is best as this link is soley talking of the Leitrim link to unoccupied properties. And i fully agree Leitrim is the fore runner in the north west, Carrick on Shannon and Manorhamilton and houses and even fully unoccupied estates its like one of them films where a plague came and wiper all out.
I said before in a previous link that NAMA could set up its head quarters in
Manorhamilton, its quite shocking full estates unoccupied, a new town centre almost finished and a ghost town never to be inhabitated, how could this be allowed to happen?

hammer

Put me down for two apartments in the Lough Rynn estate beside the Nick Faldo designed golf course. What are they selling for now ? What is the S23 relief ?

teapot

If you head over to Leitrim's tiny coastline (sandwiched between Sligo and Donegal - but including the R. Drowse - salmon fishing deluxe) you'll find lots of that sort of property. Then just N in Donegal around Bundoran, same thing. Sligo seems to have been better controlled. Used to think they were being built for NornIrelanders who wanted to get away from the 'marching season', but always wondered who was ever gonna live in 'em. As stated, Carrick and Manorhamilton are ghost towns. They used to sport billboards announcing that this was S 23 housing.

Ed Dantes

If you head over to Leitrim's tiny coastline (sandwiched between Sligo and Donegal - but including the R. Drowse - salmon fishing deluxe) you'll find lots of that sort of property. Then just N in Donegal around Bundoran, same thing. Sligo seems to have been better controlled. Used to think they were being built for NornIrelanders who wanted to get away from the 'marching season', but always wondered who was ever gonna live in 'em. As stated, Carrick and Manorhamilton are ghost towns. They used to sport billboards announcing that this was S 23 housing.
Turn off the N15 for Mullaghmore, County Sligo and it is a ghost town in Winter, about 12 people on the electoral roll. Most of the houses are owned by Northerners and Dubs.

charley

they call dunfanaghy in donegal 'doorbell city' because that is the only light you see on in the houses

old westie

Someone give us the answer

they call dunfanaghy in donegal 'doorbell city' because that is the only light you see on in the houses
Well thats a good title for the ghost towns, ''doorbell city's''> It is really shocking, these small towns really are the defination of what went wrong with this country and it also focuses the mind. Just think the leader of the Irish Estate agents Assoc. Has called for these estates to be all taken over by the Govt and used for social housing, can you imagine small towns swamped with large populations of social housing residents busssed in from different parts of Ireland.
Then there is the Ray McSharry former finance minister call for many of these estates to be demolished.........who will pick up the bill then im sure it wont be the Chemists Bar owners and Developers.

SideysGhost

Yours truly was saying right here on p.ie that the inevitable consequences of the bubble would include mass demolitions of ghost estates and a new privatised "BTL Corpo" a good 4 years ago.

The world catches up with ol Sidey eventually, every single time.

hammer

When we have the money we spend it :) - McCreevey
Unfortunately a lot of people believed this mantra :(

toughbutfair

I never understood people buying property in dumps like Leitrim. Getting tax breaks is pointless if the property won't generate rental income and won't hold its value.

Schuhart

I never understood people buying property in dumps like Leitrim. Getting tax breaks is pointless if the property won't generate rental income and won't hold its value.
This is a completely Bearded An Taisce Dublin 4 Volvo driving West Brit view. These tax breaks were exactly what Leitrim needed, while Dublin got its IFSC and the Luas.

Have you ever been in Leitrim? The quality of life available more than compensates for any negative equity, and the social benefit alone means any loans in respect of these properties that end up with NAMA will pay for themselves in spades, unlike the rows of apartments in Dublin with their countless problems like traffic and drug addicition.

Your view is obviously to Hell or to Connaught, exporting grain while people starved during the famine. I wish people would actually take the trouble of going outside the M50 to the real Ireland across the Shannon before making these ill-informed remarks.

toughbutfair

This is a completely Bearded An Taisce Dublin 4 Volvo driving West Brit view. These tax breaks were exactly what Leitrim needed, while Dublin got its IFSC and the Luas.

Have you ever been in Leitrim? The quality of life available more than compensates for any negative equity, and the social benefit alone means any loans in respect of these properties that end up with NAMA will pay for themselves in spades, unlike the rows of apartments in Dublin with their countless problems like traffic and drug addicition.

Your view is obviously to Hell or to Connaught, exporting grain while people starved during the famine. I wish people would actually take the trouble of going outside the M50 to the real Ireland across the Shannon before making these ill-informed remarks.
I assume you are aware that when you talk of the "real Ireland" you sound like Sarah Palin talking about the "real America"

The quality of life in Leitrim????? yeah - that is why everyone want to live there.

I actually laughed out loud at the Famine link - Carl lewis couldn't jump that far.

I'm off now for my heroin fix like all other Dubs, while country folk are all good sorts down the local church.

devnull

How are the ordinary people of Leitrim benefitting from the large number of ghost estates that property developers have dropped in their county?

toughbutfair

How are the ordinary people of Leitrim benefitting from the large number of ghost estates that property developers have dropped in their county?
Read his thread - with the "quality of life" that Leitrim has to offer we'll all want to live there.

Daffy05

As you are willin to make flippant ignorant remarks like the one above, you may wish to share with us your reasoning behind it and back it u with some facts or personal experiences.

Clanrickard

Are you for real? How does having masses of empty property make for quality of life. The way these places were built it as like someone taking a crap on the landscape.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies