• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Vandals damage Republican graves - Belfast

padraig

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
The graves of nearly 40 people have been desecrated by vandals in an overnight attack on the Republican plot at Milltown Cemetery in west Belfast.

Paint was thrown over the gravestones, including those of hunger striker Kieran Doherty and three IRA members killed by the SAS in Gibraltar.

The main memorial at the site in the cemetery off the Falls Road, was covered in yellow paint.

It is the fourth attack on the plot in the last six years.BBC News

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
padraig said:
The graves of nearly 40 people have been desecrated by vandals in an overnight attack on the Republican plot at Milltown Cemetery in west Belfast.

Paint was thrown over the gravestones, including those of hunger striker Kieran Doherty and three IRA members killed by the SAS in Gibraltar.

The main memorial at the site in the cemetery off the Falls Road, was covered in yellow paint.

Disturbing and unwelcome as this development is, I still find it fascinating how the Shinners on this site can get so animated about gravestones, yet find it impossible to formulate opinions on the housing rate hikes, the water charges, the MI5 centre in Northern Ireland and all the other issues affecting LIVING people in the six counties.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Seamus said:
QuizMaster said:
Disgraceful. Sick minds whoever did this.
Why do you care? Honestly.
This goes beyond politics. I know we don't see eye to eye on much, but I'd like to think we both have some common decency and humanity.

Desecration of graves upsets me. I have lost family and friends myself. I don't know what I'd do if I found their graves vandalised.

Seamus said:
As sad and distressing that all this is for the families, will the psni be getting involved?
Would you want them to be involved :?:

Would Padraig want them to be involved (I believe him to be anti-PSNI) :?:

Wouldn't it be ironic if they had to stand guard over the grave of one who murdered one of their colleagues.

Seamus

Website
monaghan32csm.blogs.ie
JCSkinner said:
padraig said:

Disturbing and unwelcome as this development is, I still find it fascinating how the Shinners on this site can get so animated about gravestones, yet find it impossible to formulate opinions on the housing rate hikes, the water charges, the MI5 centre in Northern Ireland and all the other issues affecting LIVING people in the six counties.
In fairness there is no animation by the provos here and he in fact is quoting from the bbc.

So i suppose by the logic you have stated durkan shouldnt refer to collusion,bloody sunday, and victims rights etc because they are not living?
Hoping for the stoops demise is slightly unnerving considering their consitutional nationalist opponents but we will soon see if the sdlp traitors return to the stoops from the last vote.

Would you want them to be involved
No.

Would Padraig want them to be involved (I believe him to be anti-PSNI)
Regardless of what padraig wants he is pledged to seek the ruc/psni help as his party have no reason not to.

padraig

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
JCSkinner said:
No, Seamus. By the logic I have stated, PSF ought to be able to proffer opinions on actual bread and butter issues in addition to discussing gravestones.
JCSkinner, whats wrong, is it because none of us have commented on the thread about the SDLP manifesto, where you give a brief outline of policies, with no link given to the actual document itself, I don't comment on soundbites.

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
padraig said:
JCSkinner said:
No, Seamus. By the logic I have stated, PSF ought to be able to proffer opinions on actual bread and butter issues in addition to discussing gravestones.
JCSkinner, whats wrong, is it because none of us have commented on the thread about the SDLP manifesto, where you give a brief outline of policies, with no link given to the actual document itself, I don't comment on soundbites.
No, it's because none of you saw fit to state a PSF policy on the rates hike, the water charges issue or the MI5 office issue, all of which have arisen in the past week on the site.
Instead, we've had the usual inter-republican bitching about the latest split, never-ending national question tedium and threads like this one.
When any of you fancy actually addressing genuine issues in the North, do please let me know.

Limerick Lad

I believe that the desecration of graves is a common occurrence in Northern Ireland with regular attacks on graves in Church of Ireland and Catholic Church Cemeteries as well as these attacks at the Republican plot in Miltown Cemetery.

Johnny

Shows the Loyalist brain trust is alive and well. Fúcking animals...... :x

badinage

Johnny said:
Doesn't the Warrenpoint memorial get destroyed on a regular basis? Does that make republicans "Fúcking animals" as well?

Anyway, whataboutery aside, regardless of what people did while alive, everyone's grave should be respected. Everyone's some mother's son, etc

Johnny

badinage said:
Johnny said:
Doesn't the Warrenpoint memorial get destroyed on a regular basis? Does that make republicans "Fúcking animals" as well?
Not really, no. Not that I would condone vandalising any memorials in any way, but I think a grave is a different ball game. It's someone's final resting place, and they should be left in peace, regardless of their activities in life.

st333ve

Yes a families grave should be respected, ofcourse we'll probobly hear more "but what about what republicans done..." the usual automatic response to anything that shows loyalists/unionists in a bad light, and unionists wont comment nor care what happened, In a perfect world people would simply condemn this and not make excuses for it.

Cael

I wonder was the yellow paint an illplaced protest at the yellow streak running down the backs of the Sticky Misleadership? If so, it was a dreadfully wrong act. These volunteers gave everything they had to Ireland. The fact that their leadership, after 1983, were not worthy of them is no bad reflection on them.

Johnny

Cael said:
I wonder was the yellow paint an illplaced protest at the yellow streak running down the backs of the Sticky Misleadership? If so, it was a dreadfully wrong act. These volunteers gave everything they had to Ireland. The fact that their leadership, after 1983, were not worthy of them is no bad reflection on them.
Oh for****sake, would you ever not be trying to hijack this thread to have a pop at Adams? I've the height of respect for you as a poster, Cael, put your use of every available oppurtunity to have a go at PSF is getting out of hand.

st333ve

st333ve said:
.... ofcourse we'll probobly hear more "but what about what republicans done..."

JCSkinner said:
Cael said:
Anyone else want to have a random pop at Sinn Fein in a thread about loyalist vandalism? may as well get it out of ur system now so people can actually discuss a topic for once.