Varadkar doesn't know enough about Scientology to comment on it.

automaticforthepeople

Wow! A guy who spends more time standing in front of a camera than Tom Cruise, says he doesn't know enough about Scientology to comment. Leo who often wears shades and suits and resembles one of the Men in Black as a nipper used to get the 37 from Middle Abbey St out to Castleknock in the 90's. Anyone familiar with the street could never escape a guy or woman with a clipboard who plagued people as they walked along the street inviting them inside for a free personality test to the Church of Dianetics and Science's personality outlet, yes Dublin did have one!

Given that FG invited the Church into the Dáil to discuss their plans to build their own Vatican complex in Firhouse, this simply doesn't stack up. Just what is it about FG and Scientology? Seems Dr Leo won't even call it a cult?
It's as much a cult as SF is.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/varadkar-i-dont-know-if-scientology-is-a-cult-im-loathe-to-interfere-with-religious-groups-36431015.html

Watcher2

Wow! A guy who spends more time standing in front of a camera than Tom Cruise, says he doesn't know enough about Scientology to comment. Leo who often wears shades and suits and resembles one of the Men in Black as a nipper used to get the 37 from Middle Abbey St out to Castleknock in the 90's. Anyone familiar with the street could never escape a guy or woman with a clipboard who plagued people as they walked along the street inviting them inside for a free personality test to the Church of Dianetics and Science's personality outlet, yes Dublin did have one!

Given that FG invited the Church into the Dáil to discuss their plans to build their own Vatican complex in Firhouse, this simply doesn't stack up. Just what is it about FG and Scientology? Seems Dr Leo won't even call it a cult?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/varadkar-i-dont-know-if-scientology-is-a-cult-im-loathe-to-interfere-with-religious-groups-36431015.html
The thread title is too long. It should simply read

Varadkar Doesn't know enough.

statsman

Politician knows enough not to open a can of worms, shock horror.

Watcher2

automaticforthepeople

Politician knows enough not to open a can of worms, shock horror.
Would have thought that applies to Brophy's colleagues in Dublin South West. Brophy seems to have a tin opener out, Dr Leo doesn't want to upset the cult, eh the Church I mean, bless their souls.

statsman

Would have thought that applies to Brophy's colleagues in Dublin South West. Brophy seems to have a tin opener out, Dr Leo doesn't want to upset the cult, eh the Church I mean, bless their souls.
If you agree with freedom of religion, it also applies to religions you don't like, and I speak as one who doesn't like any of them.

silverharp

cant say im impresses with Leo Trudeau

silverharp

If you agree with freedom of religion, it also applies to religions you don't like, and I speak as one who doesn't like any of them.
so jim jones, great lad?

automaticforthepeople

Religions are usually based on faith which in turn is based on at least some facts. For instance there was 2 guys, one called Jesus Christ and another Mohmamed who inspired and preached a set of values that pertained to when they lived their lives.

Tell me what Tom Cruise has to say on the world problems at the moment?

statsman

so jim jones, great lad?
No. Freedom of religion does not include the right to break the law. Just like priests who sexually abuse kids or embezzle parish funds, or Islamic terrorists, etc, etc, etc.

statsman

Religions are usually based on faith which in turn is based on at least some facts. For instance there was 2 guys, one called Jesus Christ and another Mohmamed who inspired and preached a set of values that pertained to when they lived their lives.

Tell me what Tom Cruise has to say on the world problems at the moment?
I'm not sure you get the distinction between faith and facts. We are, in addition, more certain that Hubbard actually lived than we are that JC did.

automaticforthepeople

[video=youtube;eKrEVWGTuRg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKrEVWGTuRg[/video]

Be the hokey! Young Leo is talking through his hat!

silverharp

No. Freedom of religion does not include the right to break the law. Just like priests who sexually abuse kids or embezzle parish funds, or Islamic terrorists, etc, etc, etc.
in this case its clear its a cult, he should have said people should take action if a close friend or family member looks like they might join the group. being tolerant has its limits

Niall996

Actually, the phrase 'freedom of religion' is a bit vague. I don't believe any society has to commit to some open ended catch all phrase like 'freedom of religion' in the first place. It's okay to consider limits and boundaries.

Gin Soaked

in this case its clear its a cult, he should have said people should take action if a close friend or family member looks like they might join the group. being tolerant has its limits
It ticks so many cult like boxes. And it is despised in Ireland where we have seen Catholic cults take young people.

statsman

Actually, the phrase 'freedom of religion' is a bit vague. I don't believe any society has to commit to some open ended catch all phrase like 'freedom of religion' in the first place. It's okay to consider limits and boundaries.
Bunreacht is anything but vague:
44: 2 1° freedom of conscience and the free profession and practice of religion are, subject to public order and morality, guaranteed to every citizen.
So, unless Scientology (which I abhor, BTW) can be demonstrated to be contrary to 'public order and morality', people are free to practice it. And it's not the job of an individual politician to decide what constitutes 'public order and morality'.

dizillusioned

Nice that he wont comment on stuff he doesn’t know enough about.... makes a change.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies