• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Varadkar - "Get the bad news over with a €6 billion budget"

jacko

Writing in tomorrows Sunday Business Post, Leo Varadkar has call for a short sharp shock of budget cuts totalling €6 billion

Included in his plan is

-€3.5 billion in cuts based on the Bord Snip Nua report

-€450 million in saving based on a massive public sector redundancy programme (offering 6 weeks pay per year of service)

- water charges €150million

wonder if this is now FG policy ?

I wonder what Enda thinks ?

someone should ask him tonight !

Tomas Mor

Leo is trying to sound like a statesman. Let Biffo and Ahern and others do this, they fuppud us into it.

LeDroit

I have never felt this way about a man before. I love him. I really think I do. Now, exactly how do I get him into the Taoiseach's seat?

TradCat

I have never felt this way about a man before. I love him. I really think I do. Now, exactly how do I get him into the Taoiseach's seat?
First get the Taoiseach very drunk. That will be the easy part.

TODevastated

Writing in tomorrows Sunday Business Post, Leo Varadkar has call for a short sharp shock of budget cuts totalling €6 billion

Included in his plan is

-€3.5 billion in cuts based on the Bord Snip Nua report

-€450 million in saving based on a massive public sector redundancy programme (offering 6 weeks pay per year of service)

- water charges €150million

wonder if this is now FG policy ?

I wonder what Enda thinks ?

someone should ask him tonight !
there is an argument to be made in favour of a short sharp shock, after all we have had 2 years of misery all ready with 4 more at least to come

JUST GET ON WITH IT

jacko

He also says that concurrent to his €6billion in cuts he'd fund a massive stimulus package (next gen broadband, school buildings, forrestry and water services) by taking money from the NPRF and selling off the semi states

hmmm

Fully agree with him. Endless worrying about budgets is destroying the country.

MPB

I hope he intends to be just as brave when dealing with the Banks Senior Bondholders.

dotski_w_

Website
irishpollingreport.wordpress.com
-€450 million in saving based on a massive public sector redundancy programme (offering 6 weeks pay per year of service)!
I'd like to see the maths behind that. Most ppl who take early redundancy are older. Say an average service of 23 years, that's 138 weeks service. Take an average pension of a quarter of their current pay, that means the equivalent of an ongoing 13 weeks p.a.

Taht means for each person who takes it, they'll have got 151 weeks pay by the end of 1 year (as opposed to 52 weeks). They'll have received 164 weeks by the end of year 2 (as opposed to 104), and they'll have received 177 weeks by the end of year 3 (not 156). By the end of yr 4 they'll have 190 weeks, as opposed to 208 weeks , but most of them would be retiring by then anyway....

450 million saving? I don't see it myself....

making waves

Veradkar's programme would crash the economy (worse than it already is), leading to 15 or 20 years bouncing along the bottom of a recessionary trough.

JCR

About time this got put out there. This is a last resort measure and the country is exactly in the place where all it has is last resorts, the head in the sand pussyng around approach is death by a thousands cuts and nothing else. Get it done, correct the current account, invest in the right way, shut down and reboot.

jacko

He's setting himself up to go for the leadership with this solo run

TODevastated

I'd like to see the maths behind that. Most ppl who take early redundancy are older. Say an average service of 23 years, that's 138 weeks service. Take an average pension of a quarter of their current pay, that means the equivalent of an ongoing 13 weeks p.a.

Taht means for each person who takes it, they'll have got 151 weeks pay by the end of 1 year (as opposed to 52 weeks). They'll have received 164 weeks by the end of year 2 (as opposed to 104), and they'll have received 177 weeks by the end of year 3 (not 156). By the end of yr 4 they'll have 190 weeks, as opposed to 208 weeks , but most of them would be retiring by then anyway....

450 million saving? I don't see it myself....
it would be difficult to do the maths but normally a package would be limited to 2 years salary (104 weeks)

TradCat

Veradkar's programme would crash the economy (worse than it already is), leading to 15 or 20 years bouncing along the bottom of a recessionary trough.
I'm not sure it would be worse that having people wondering what new tax or cut is coming next. Already people are obsessing about this year's budget in a manner I have never seen before. A bit of finality or at least the appearance of it may be no bad thing.

jacko

his main problem is the €3.5 billion from the McCarthy report

very difficult to implement on the ground - local garda stations closing etc

LeDroit