• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Varadkar - "I am trying to eat less meat both for health reasons and for reasons of climate change"

SPN

I'd prefer the Taoiseach made a concrete and measurable move towards sustainability by reigning in the jollies for members of the Oireachtas around March when there are flights here, there and everywhere on the annual paddy's day capers. Cut back on that and Leo could have his morning rasher.
That carry on brings in jobs, investment and taxes.

We would be very foolish to rein it in.

SPN

Paddy{ie

Meat consumption will ramp down again as Countries begin to focus on meeting their Climate Change responsibilities.

Whenever the value of biomass and/or carbon sequestration rises to a level that is higher than the value of dead animal parts then farmers and landowners will transition to meet the requirements of these here new markets.

As our Leader is is doing exactly the right thing by leading us into the future.

He knows where we have to go with this thing.

His job as Leader is to make sure the journey there is a success.
A lot of ‘Nutty’ thoughts in there. A lot of green dreams.
Had a look st the globe recently? See the size of the dot that is Ireland? And we are to believe that our main industry is a main contributer as a percentage of worldwide emissions to global warming?
Here’s emissions (and apart from the emissions from the ships themselves, think of the emissions made from manufacturing the products on the 100s of containers that are on each ship). Kinda puts it in context doesn’t it? Focus on climate change if you want, but focus on the real problem areas, and not the livelihoods of those in our main indigenous industry.
MarineTraffic: Global Ship Tracking Intelligence | AIS Marine Traffic

Paddy{ie

Another play for a UN belly rub. This guy will stop at nothing in his quest for a UN gig.
We have 12 years to limit climate change catastrophe, warns UN | Environment | The Guardian
Followed, in October by Huge reduction in meat-eating ‘essential’ to avoid climate breakdown | Environment | The Guardian
Followed by December Why eating less meat is the best thing you can do for the planet in 2019 | Environment | The Guardian
Followed by The Lancet (which Doctor Varadkar receives)
All pointing to #campaignformeo

Polybius

That carry on brings in jobs, investment and taxes.

We would be very foolish to rein it in.
Some unknown and inarticulate minister going out to Australia for Paddy's Day brings in jobs, investment and taxes? Doubt it pal.

PAGE61

Some unknown and inarticulate minister going out to Australia for Paddy's Day brings in jobs, investment and taxes? Doubt it pal.
I agree.It is a strange approach to bringing in business ...go to a party for paddies day and hope for the best. the other 364 days do not matter.

Polybius

I agree.It is a strange approach to bringing in business ...go to a party for paddies day and hope for the best. the other 364 days do not matter.
Last year we sent Kevin Boxer Moran to Kenya for St. Patrick's Day.

Erudite Caveman

Last year we sent Kevin Boxer Moran to Kenya for St. Patrick's Day.
Indeed

Kenya only African country visited by Irish minister for St Patrick’s Day

Ireland also has a growing business presence in Kenya, working in close collaboration with Kenyan investors. A business network, Business Ireland Kenya, established with embassy support in 2014, now has over 70 members. BIK members are involved in a wide range of businesses, which include financial services, security, education, ICT services, tourism, construction and pharmaceuticals.

During his visit to Kenya, as well as meeting the Irish community, the Irish Minister of Public Works, Kevin Boxer Moran, will travel to Nyandarua. With the governor and representatives of Irish and Kenyan business, he will launch a programme of cooperation to boost the incomes of smallholder farmers by introducing high-yielding varieties of seed potato. He will visit urban settlement programmes here in Nairobi that benefit from Irish Aid support and meet students who are competing in Young Scientists Kenya.

The minister will also hold discussions with Kenyan government representatives about continued Irish government support to assist Kenya become, like Ireland, a leader in attracting Foreign Direct Investment. The minister will sign a Memorandum of Understanding between the Government of Ireland and the Kenya Private Sector Alliance to support the emergence of women entrepreneurs in small- to medium-sized enterprises in agri-food.

Erudite Caveman

Of course it is strange, when your brain thinks funny.

In reality, it isn't one day. It involves a lot of prep and follow up by the DFA. And having a calendar event to focus on, one that can generate more publicity than say a visit on the randomth of June, makes sense. Just like China leveraging the publicity around the Chinese new year to boost their soft-power profile makes sense.

The OD

Translation - The EU is no longer enough for empty suit Leo. Its the UN or bust!

Personally, I'd prefer if he just stopped. Permanently.

SPN

Talk to a Minister or an ex-Minister from any political party and ask them to explain it to you.

It is uses basic psychology and human nature.

Fascinating.

Paddy{ie

Talk to a Minister or an ex-Minister from any political party and ask them to explain it to you.

It is uses basic psychology and human nature.

Fascinating.
Lobbying in other words?

valamhic

This thread was started 2 days ago, It means new threads are still allowed and that the ban on starting new threads and sending private messages is confined to me only.

valamhic

There is no doubt the lefties have the farmer in their sights, whether farmers will fight back is the question. I suspect they will try it through the established parties. A few will change from established parties to populist parties, but not enough to stop the decimation f their industry

RasherHash

There is no doubt the lefties have the farmer in their sights, whether farmers will fight back is the question. I suspect they will try it through the established parties. A few will change from established parties to populist parties, but not enough to stop the decimation f their industry
Exactly, they are part of the establishment circlejerk and will not want to step out of line, the EEC was all about fixing up the farmers and there has been over 4 decades of circlejerking between particularly FG but also FF and the farmers.

FG/FF have still to feel the wrath of a backlash against their EU superstateism.

RasherHash

This thread was started 2 days ago, It means new threads are still allowed and that the ban on starting new threads and sending private messages is confined to me only.
I rarely start threads on p.ie, I know my place and have been put back in my box many times by the blueshir...er, moderators for daring to start a thread on their *seig heil* forum :geek:

Lagertha

How did you reach that conclusion? Nobody could ever accuse me of being left wing. The reality is that many Irish farms aren't financially viable and without the EU subsidies they're getting they'd have gone bust long ago. I don't believe in subsidising any non viable businesses. We've known for decades that the amount of red meat that's being consumed is very unhealthy. The global population is growing and the demand for meat is going to be unsustainable. What's not being said is that the population growth is mainly in developing countries where realistically forced contraception should be in place as so many children are starving to death and dying from preventable diseases, that's before we even get started on the endemic Aids epidemic.

Polybius

How did you reach that conclusion? Nobody could ever accuse me of being left wing. The reality is that many Irish farms aren't financially viable and without the EU subsidies they're getting they'd have gone bust long ago. I don't believe in subsidising any non viable businesses. We've known for decades that the amount of red meat that's being consumed is very unhealthy. The global population is growing and the demand for meat is going to be unsustainable. What's not being said is that the population growth is mainly in developing countries where realistically forced contraception should be in place as so many children are starving to death and dying from preventable diseases, that's before we even get started on the endemic Aids epidemic.
That's the real issue. But the middle class lefties don't want to mention that. They want to pretend the problem is whitey eating too much beef.

If Varadkar wants to live in the Dublin hipster liberal bubble that's fine. But he should realise that there's an Ireland beyond drinking in Pantibar, going to Kylie concerts and fawning over Justin Trudeau. Most Irish people do not have the huge disposable income and guaranteed pension of Varadkar.

- Vardakar is far from liberal, Hes a Gay Thatcherite

McTell

Twitter
No
I'm a rooral type so i have a vested interest. I have had to kill animals on occasion, and once skinned and rendered a "baste" because my da wanted me to know what to do.

All animals are there because someone thinks he can breed them or fatten them and make a few bob. Fewer animals will mean higher prices.

No animals means more tractors driving up and down thru the crops that must replace them. Tractors emitting CO2.

No animals and no crops = wilderness, and a million more of us newly homeless all rocking up to dublin needing a house to live in.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies