• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Varadkar - "I am trying to eat less meat both for health reasons and for reasons of climate change"

bells of shando

Leo Varadkar is a compulsive virtue signaller and a sterling example of all show ,blow and no substance. But I must commend him for his latest contribution to reducing Irelands carbon footprint. He is an example to us all.
He has surrendered his State car and has commandeered Nellie the Elephant from Dublin Zoo. Simple Simon Coveney is in gainful employment as the air condition supplier. His duty as Punka Wallah is to fan Leo with a large Pink Boa feather fan.
The problem of Nellie dumping large turds on the streets of Dublin has been resolved after a 20-man delegation visited Disneyland, where they engaged in serious consultations with Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck and solved the turd problem. They have roped in Mehole Martin to follow Nellie with a large shovel and wheelbarrow. Mehole's full title is Supreme Kaka Wallah.
A temporary solution to prevent the endless stream of Kaka emanating from Leo's mouth is to stuff it with a large, Clonakilty black pudding.
Clonakilty are not happy with the misuse of their product.

RasherHash

Varadkar - "I am trying to eat less meat both for health reasons and for reasons of climate change"

This is a bizarre and irresponsible comment for a Taoiseach to make. Irish agriculture is heavily based upon meat production. We produce enough beef for 30 million people and export across the world. Why would the Taoiseach promote eating less meat when it's not in the interests of the country? Also this seems somewhat hypocritical for a Fine Gael leader given that the main reason the Fine Gael party was founded in 1933 was to represent the interests of cattle ranchers.

It's not unhealthy to eat meat. Sugar is the biggest danger in the modern western diet. It's fashionable to blame meat for climate change but eating locally produced meat is better for the environment than eating avocados and quinoa imported from thousands of miles away.

If Varadkar wants to live in the Dublin hipster liberal bubble that's fine. But he should realise that there's an Ireland beyond drinking in Pantibar, going to Kylie concerts and fawning over Justin Trudeau. Most Irish people do not have the huge disposable income and guaranteed pension of Varadkar. Many Irish people need money to pay for their kids and their mortgages. Many rely on jobs in meat production and exports. Time for Varadkar to grow up and behave like a leader.

Varadkar to reduce carbon footprint - FarmIreland.ie

View attachment 1566
Lying scumbag.

He's "trying"?

You fake, useless piece of sh1t, you won't even go vegan to save the whole world, what an absolute fraud.

RasherHash

Nope.

This here is a very effective conversation starter.

And that's a major problem.

We need to consider how sustainable this market is, given the health and environmental problems caused by meat production.

It takes 10 calories of feed to produce one calorie of meat.

Why not use the 10 calories of feed to feed 10 times more people, or reduce the amount of land required to feed the population by 90%.

All the wins.

It surely is in the interests of the country to reduce environmental damage, and improve the health of the population.

The cattle ranchers are all about turning their assets into income.

Cattle farming might have been the way to go in the past, it is very much the wrong way to go today - as many farmers will tell you.

There are many medical studies which would disagree with this herer conclusion.

Correct.

Nope.

Science tells us that meat production is a significant environmental problem.

And eating locally produced vegetables, preferably organic, is orders of magnitude better again.

Piffle and balderdash.

Adds nothing to your argument

Exactly.

Just like 300,000 people depended on a bank lending bubble back in the mid noughties.

We need to not make that mistake again.

This announcement indicates that he is very much growing into that there role.
Leo and the girls need to give leadership on this, they need to give up flying, driving and go vegan.

No buts, do it or the whole agw idea is a fraud and a tax creation.

silverharp

how would going vegan in Ireland help? get farmers to grow kidney beans and make almond milk from locally grown almonds? going vegan is such a bull5hit argument

RasherHash

how would going vegan in Ireland help? get farmers to grow kidney beans and make almond milk from locally grown almonds? going vegan is such a bull5hit argument
It's a bs argument?

The World is going to END in 12 years (so say the alarmists that Leo and the elite of Europe want us to believe).

If that is the case giving up meat is a very small sacrifice.

Give it all up Leo or you're a huge fraud.

Lagertha

I'm a rooral type so i have a vested interest. I have had to kill animals on occasion, and once skinned and rendered a "baste" because my da wanted me to know what to do.

All animals are there because someone thinks he can breed them or fatten them and make a few bob. Fewer animals will mean higher prices.

No animals means more tractors driving up and down thru the crops that must replace them. Tractors emitting CO2.

No animals and no crops = wilderness, and a million more of us newly homeless all rocking up to dublin needing a house to live in.
What about the CO2 from the trucks collecting animals to drive them to the slaughter houses and the trucks delivering new animals to farms? What about the CO2 emissions from the trucks delivering animal feeds and animal supplies? I'm not advocating for a ban on farming animals, but the amount of meat that people are eating is outrageous and it's unhealthy. As a rooral type you are probably familiar with people talking about how wildlife is venturing into towns and villages and not getting the reality that it's the towns and villages that are expanding out into the rural areas and destroying habitats. I don't think that most people on the planet will willingly reduce their meat intake in any dramatic way and ultimately it'll mean that meat will either become less affordable or there will be less produced.

willow68

Vegetarian by choice here, but this definitely smells of more trendy horsefeathers from our dear leader v (appointed by divine grace). Climate Greta approves no doubt. Not big into numerology but F is the sixth letter. Fridays for Future = 666...just saying.

Lagertha

Vegetarian by choice here, but this definitely smells of more trendy horsefeathers from our dear leader v (appointed by divine grace). Climate Greta approves no doubt. Not big into numerology but F is the sixth letter. Fridays for Future = 666...just saying.
Vegetarian by choice here too, but don't even get me started on global leaders listening to the rantings of the parents of an autistic child that they're using as a puppet. The whole thing coincided with mammy's new book release on climate change and mammy has now removed her own photograph from the front of her book and replaced it with a pic of St Greta. It's absurd. I wouldn't be dictated to by a child, if I had to sit in the classroom with her she'd have her arse in school every Friday, I wonder how many of these kids would take part in these protests if they were early on a Saturday morning?

silverharp

What about the CO2 from the trucks collecting animals to drive them to the slaughter houses and the trucks delivering new animals to farms? What about the CO2 emissions from the trucks delivering animal feeds and animal supplies? I'm not advocating for a ban on farming animals, but the amount of meat that people are eating is outrageous and it's unhealthy. As a rooral type you are probably familiar with people talking about how wildlife is venturing into towns and villages and not getting the reality that it's the towns and villages that are expanding out into the rural areas and destroying habitats. I don't think that most people on the planet will willingly reduce their meat intake in any dramatic way and ultimately it'll mean that meat will either become less affordable or there will be less produced.
bullsh1t, people eating too much is unhealthy, which is normally sugar, and grain based, there is a difference, meat doesnt make people fat, ask any farmer how they fatten up animals, skim milk and corn are 2 of the go too ways

Lagertha

bullsh1t, people eating too much is unhealthy, which is normally sugar, and grain based, there is a difference, meat doesnt make people fat, ask any farmer how they fatten up animals, skim milk and corn are 2 of the go too ways
I didn't mention anything about weight. I'm referring to cholesterol and heart disease. Then there's bowl cancer, just to name a few. I eat full fat butter and yoghurt and while I don't really like milk or drink much of it, I drink full fat milk. A lot of people eat meat at breakfast lunch and dinner, that's not good. I'm in favour of a balanced diet, it's not a question of one extreme or another. I don't eat meat, that's my choice, I've no issue with people who do eat meat, I cook meat for my husband and it doesn't bother me in the slightest to do that.

willow68

I didn't mention anything about weight. I'm referring to cholesterol and heart disease. Then there's bowl cancer, just to name a few. I eat full fat butter and yoghurt and while I don't really like milk or drink much of it, I drink full fat milk. A lot of people eat meat at breakfast lunch and dinner, that's not good. I'm in favour of a balanced diet, it's not a question of one extreme or another. I don't eat meat, that's my choice, I've no issue with people who do eat meat, I cook meat for my husband and it doesn't bother me in the slightest to do that.
As an aside - I firmly believe, rightly or wrongly that after a certain age women benefit from a plant based (leaves, greens and minimal carbs) diet with oily fish thrown in. Breast cancer was virtually unknown in Japan until they started eating more meat. Now their rates are similar to us. As I said, that is one of my reasons. Animal husbandry is another.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I have the strangest feeling that Varadkar's downfall won't actually be some obvious crisis but could grow out of a sense of distance between Varadkar's perception as an urbanite and maybe some growing sense of disinterest about rural affairs, whether rightly or wrongly.

The numbers game says Varadkar is right to focus politically on the urban end of the pendulum, and the rural voter has yet to have a casus belli with him. Up to now.

Hist. Is that a faint drumming in the hills?

Crack squads of Reconnaissance Macra Na Feirme maneouvering in the deep woods at dusk. Like woolluffs.

bells of shando

Leo has little interest in Ireland, he is prepared to sign any agreement to satisfy his Masters in Brussels. His eyes are set on a European career path, much like Tusk. He is now paying his dues at the expense of the Irish people.
Leo was groomed for stardom a long time ago and is fully on board with the plan.
. I believe he was an intern in Brusselss and also spent time as an intern in Washington. Plenty of time to swallow the neoliberal spiel and be compromised.

willow68

I have the strangest feeling that Varadkar's downfall won't actually be some obvious crisis but could grow out of a sense of distance between Varadkar's perception as an urbanite and maybe some growing sense of disinterest about rural affairs, whether rightly or wrongly.

The numbers game says Varadkar is right to focus politically on the urban end of the pendulum, and the rural voter has yet to have a casus belli with him. Up to now.

Hist. Is that a faint drumming in the hills?

Crack squads of Reconnaissance Macra Na Feirme maneouvering in the deep woods at dusk. Like woolluffs.
You are simply hilarious. Meant in the nicest way - though I often do not agree with your more fluffy liberal stance. Thanks.

silverharp

lots of dubious association studies with conclusions based on who funds these studies, humans evolved on essentially a carnivore diet with seasonal scavenging of plant material, its the modern diet which is making people sick not the part of the diet which is 2 million year old. most people eat toast or some garbage breakfast cereal for breakfast, a bread based lunch and all kinds of junk and processed food for dinner and snacks.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
A colleague attended a lecture recently by an expert in nutrition in mammals. She was surprised to find that our distant ancestors had more variety in their diet than we do today. Meat, fish near coast and river, definitely wild fruit and nuts.

Storage wasn't really possible in the way we store today so if it was edible it was eaten.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
We have more choice as consumers than older societies could even dream of and yet we tend to eat a lower variety of foods.

silverharp

an interesting on the ground view of what the (not obese) Japanese eat

Lagertha

lots of dubious association studies with conclusions based on who funds these studies, humans evolved on essentially a carnivore diet with seasonal scavenging of plant material, its the modern diet which is making people sick not the part of the diet which is 2 million year old. most people eat toast or some garbage breakfast cereal for breakfast, a bread based lunch and all kinds of junk and processed food for dinner and snacks.
Humans did evolve on an essentially carnivore diet, but they had very little meat. They had what they could hunt, catch and kill. They didn't have meat 3 times a day, 7 days a week 52 weeks of the year. There meat was what we'd today call free range too. Today people get a lot less exercise and eat an awful lot more meat and the animals they eat are pumped full of whatever chemicals that are thought necessary to make the meat fit for human consumption.

Lagertha

an interesting on the ground view of what the (not obese) Japanese eat

The same people who slaughter whales every year under the guise of ''research'', all because they believe it makes them more virile. I find the Japanese way of treating animals and marine life disgusting, a culture being ancient doesn't make it civilised.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies