• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Varadkar - "I am trying to eat less meat both for health reasons and for reasons of climate change"

silverharp

The same people who slaughter whales every year under the guise of ''research'', all because they believe it makes them more virile. I find the Japanese way of treating animals and marine life disgusting, a culture being ancient doesn't make it civilised.
the important fact is that they are healthy on it. if meat was unhealthy the Japanese would be the sickest people on the planet.

Disillusioned democrat

A colleague attended a lecture recently by an expert in nutrition in mammals. She was surprised to find that our distant ancestors had more variety in their diet than we do today. Meat, fish near coast and river, definitely wild fruit and nuts.

Storage wasn't really possible in the way we store today so if it was edible it was eaten.
If you're interested in this you should read the book "Sapiens" - 20k years ago - a blink of an eye in terms of evolution - we were foragers, as you say, eating what we found, caught, picked. Examination of fossils show remarkably good health. The agricultural revolution meant we were less likely to eat more than 5 basic ingredients in any one day which has had a huge impact on our wellbeing.

ergo2

Varadkar - "I am trying to eat less meat both for health reasons and for reasons of climate change"

This is a bizarre and irresponsible comment for a Taoiseach to make. Irish agriculture is heavily based upon meat production. We produce enough beef for 30 million people and export across the world. Why would the Taoiseach promote eating less meat when it's not in the interests of the country? Also this seems somewhat hypocritical for a Fine Gael leader given that the main reason the Fine Gael party was founded in 1933 was to represent the interests of cattle ranchers.

It's not unhealthy to eat meat. Sugar is the biggest danger in the modern western diet. It's fashionable to blame meat for climate change but eating locally produced meat is better for the environment than eating avocados and quinoa imported from thousands of miles away.

If Varadkar wants to live in the Dublin hipster liberal bubble that's fine. But he should realise that there's an Ireland beyond drinking in Pantibar, going to Kylie concerts and fawning over Justin Trudeau. Most Irish people do not have the huge disposable income and guaranteed pension of Varadkar. Many Irish people need money to pay for their kids and their mortgages. Many rely on jobs in meat production and exports. Time for Varadkar to grow up and behave like a leader.

Varadkar to reduce carbon footprint - FarmIreland.ie

View attachment 1566
Good sensible post. Varad should stop virtue signalling,

Volatire

the important fact is that they are healthy on it. if meat was unhealthy the Japanese would be the sickest people on the planet.
Whale meat is toxic, full of heavy metals.

I quite like it though.

Watcher2

Farmers were not passive recipients of CAP largesse. They've actively campaigned to influence the destination of public funding. So I don't buy your victim line.

Their current production is too concentrated. Change is inevitable. I'd say it was probably impossible to tell thatchers that they'd have to get into tiling if they wanted to stay in the roofing game.

Time for the so-called "family" hobby farmers to adapt or leave the sector.
I doubt it was Irish farmers cribbing and moaning that got them such large shares of EU funds. Agriculture was huge in Europe and all farmers (not just Irish ones) over produced. The butter mountain (not to mention the wine lake) was not created by the Irish farmer alone. But it was a much bigger issue in the 80's when Ireland was, yes, you may have guessed it, a huge economic basket case. It was because we were designated as an EU disadvantaged area, with agriculture our biggest industry, so Irish farmers got massive subsidies.

Volatire

Varadkar has a point.

The meat industry is disgusting. Industrialised cruelty and slaughter with terrible environmental cost.

I rarely eat red meat any more unless I have shot it myself.

RasherHash

Varadkar has a point.

The meat industry is disgusting. Industrialised cruelty and slaughter with terrible environmental cost.

I rarely eat red meat any more unless I have shot it myself.
Apart from the agw issue it's something society has to face up to, enough is enough.

Volatire

how would going vegan in Ireland help? get farmers to grow kidney beans and make almond milk from locally grown almonds? going vegan is such a bull5hit argument
Do oats grow is Ireland?

I am a total coffee Nazi, and single origin yirgacheffe flat white is my coffee of choice.

Sorry dairy farmers, but I don’t want a cow taste off my coffee.

Lagertha

If you look at this article you will see that Japanese people eat very little meat, in fact they consume a huge amount of fish and they eat rice and meal with breakfast lunch and dinner. They also eat very little processed food. Compare that to a diet in Ireland for example where it's common for people to have bacon for breakfast, beef or ham sandwiches for lunch and then some sort of meat at dinner every day. Irish people don't eat a huge amount of fish. Our diet is mostly processed meats, fish from a chip shop and not much veg. The Japanese are also a lot more active than Europeans.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies