Varadkar - "I won’t be allowing my sexual orientation to dictate the decisions that I make" .. but then this happened

robut

Varadkar - "I won’t be allowing my sexual orientation to dictate the decisions that I make" .. but then this happened

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/leo-varadkar-i-am-a-gay-man-minister-says-1.2070189

Back in January Varadkar said:

“What I want people to know is that whatever decisions are made on any issue, I’ll make them according to what I believe is in the public interest and of my own conscience, I won’t be allowing my own background or my own sexual orientation to dictate the decisions that I make.
Then over the weekend we had this:

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0624/885175-gay-pride/

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has said he will use the office of Taoiseach to advance the cause of LGBT rights and to press for marriage equality across Ireland.

Addressing the crowd in Smithfield, Mr Varadkar said: "I pledge as Taoiseach to use my office, for as long as I hold it, to advance the cause of LGBT rights, to press for marriage equality across Ireland, to speak up for LGBT rights around the world where they are under attack, and to push for the implementation of the sexual health strategy here at home at a time when it is more important than ever."
Now that did not take too long did it? Thoughts PIE peeps?

I really couldnt give a crap about Leos sexual orientation BUT now that he is Taoiseach and that he, as of the weekend has explicitly said he will use the office to do what he originally said he would not do, SHOULD that be of concern going forward? OR am I reading this all wrong?

Last edited:

Munnkeyman

You may be reading this all wrong. There is a separation here between advancing a cause (LGBT rights) and his motivations for doing so.

D

Deleted member 48908

He'd be a bad Taoiseach - in the most idealistic sense of the office - if he didn't press to ensure that everyone's constitutional rights were upheld, no?

NYCKY

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/leo-varadkar-i-am-a-gay-man-minister-says-1.2070189

Back in January Varadkar said:

Then over the weekend we had this:

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0624/885175-gay-pride/

Now that did not take too long did it? Thoughts PIE peeps?

I really couldnt give a crap about Leos sexual orientation BUT now that he is Taoiseach and that he, as of the weekend has explicitly said he will use the office to do what he originally said he would not do, SHOULD that be of concern going forward? OR am I reading this all wrong?
A heterosexual Taoiseach introduced the marriage equality referendum and didn't allow his orientation to dictate his decisions.

The current Taoiseach announced that he won't allow his orientation to dictate his decisions. Not sure how this is different from his predecessor.

JCR

This is going to be brought up in all kinds of subtle ways. It was hinted at even in the FG leader campaign when Simon had a big thing about him being a traditional family man with good solid family values. Way of the world.

callas

As Taoiseach , he is comcerned with the rights of all citizens.

Gay and Straight.

North and South.

His own sexuality is his own business, nothing to do with him advocating for the rights of all citizens.

talkingshop

He'd be a bad Taoiseach - in the most idealistic sense of the office - if he didn't press to ensure that everyone's constitutional rights were upheld, no?
He talked about gay marriage in Northern Ireland though, no constitutional rights involved there.

talkingshop

Gay and Straight.

North and South.

His own sexuality is his own business, nothing to do with him advocating for the rights of all citizens.
People in NI are not citizens though? You could say it's not his business what the people of NI decide, democratically, about gay marriage.

Sync

He talked about gay marriage in Northern Ireland though, no constitutional rights involved there.
He's leader of the first country whose people directly voted for gay marriage. It's natural that a country in that situation is going to be a proponent for equality everywhere. And actually yeah, for NI in particular with the murky citizenship/passport situation going on up there, it's natural that it'll be a factor as well. It's similar to UK people looking for abortion rights to affect people in NI, or NI parties looking for gay marriage to not affect its citizens in other areas of the UK.

We did broadly the same thing with the smoking ban as well. It's about showing that things can be introduced with positive (or at least no negative) impact in a country.

And it'll amount to us saying "Hey Uganda, maybe you shouldn't stone people to death for being gay" and things like that. Which is pretty unobjectionable really. If it were to shift into dictating "Hey NI, I'm leader of Ireland and I'm telling you that you must offer gay marriage to people" then it's a different thing.

Last edited:

odlum

NEVER would a FF Taoiseach let their sexuality get in the way of policy. When one thinks of how far FF took us in achieving the rights of minorities and the gays. It's disgusting to see FG try to take credit. The people won't be fooled.

Varadkar is a thundering disgrace. Clueless and out of his depth.

We need good government going forward. We need Micheál.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Give over. FF have never failed to bend over for property developers and that is all the way up to Taoisigh.

And they have rarely allowed feelings to get in the way of the odd £5k.

Sync

But they were in favour of it. And that's what makes it a stronger message, this wasn't something forced through parliament by a number heavy govt, it was something strongly endorsed by all the major parties and strongly endorsed directly by the electorate.

It's not a party position. It's a country position.

ShoutingIsLeadership

He was very quick to fúck Dara Murphy, on becoming Taoiseach

(not that the media noticed, as his lack of a vag meant that his disappearance didn't matter)

Catalpast

This is going to be brought up in all kinds of subtle ways. It was hinted at even in the FG leader campaign when Simon had a big thing about him being a traditional family man with good solid family values. Way of the world.
Simon had a big thing about him being a traditional family man with good solid family values.

I didn't know that!

Catalpast

But they were in favour of it. And that's what makes it a stronger message, this wasn't something forced through parliament by a number heavy govt, it was something strongly endorsed by all the major parties and strongly endorsed directly by the electorate.

It's not a party position. It's a country position.
Barring the 38% who voted NO of course...

HenryHorace

Gay and Straight.

North and South.

I'd say he's more concerned with the rights of this nations more well off citizens than those of it's working class. He's typical FG scum through and through. I couldn't give a hoot if he's gay or not.

darkhorse

Whats next up on the LGBTQA sgenda now that we have gay marriage?
Is he likely to introduce positive discrimination for gays - like mandatory gay % in the civil and public service, State boards, etc?

shanieboy01

Sorry to shock you but gays are working there in huge numbers already.

Whats next up on the LGBTQA sgenda now that we have gay marriage?
Is he likely to introduce positive discrimination for gays - like mandatory gay % in the civil and public service, State boards, etc?

New Threads

Most Replies