Varadkar says it will be 'difficult to secure a good trade deal for Ireland' after Brexit

Myler

Leo says "This is existential for our economy".

If this is true, why don't we leave along with the UK? Why stay in the EU if, as Leo says, what matters is our relationship with the UK?

Or if its nonsense, if what Leo needs to say is Agriculture is much less important than its made out to be, can we stop all this existential nonsense and talk about stuff that really matters?

seanof

Varadkar has lost the run of himself. He's liable to say anything now. It's all meaningless drivel.

raetsel

If this is true, why don't we leave along with the UK? Why stay in the EU if, as Leo says, what matters is our relationship with the UK?
Ireland's relationship with the UK matters, but its relationship with the EU matters a lot more. I thought this was elementary stuff.

cranberry1

This will be fun when Brexit happens , maybe you can sell your sandwiches to Belgium and Holland
and your cheese and butter to France maybe even your taytos , you need to start an advertisement campaign throughout Europe, and if I where you's I'd start asap .

Disillusioned democrat

I'm glad so we have some of the best paid politicians and civil servants - this should be a piece of piss for them....it's a shame, though, that there weren't any indications that this could happen so we could have prepared.....I mean who could have predicted the UK would leave the EU in 2020?

constitutionus

really leo?

cause i thought part of the whole EU thing was to be a stronger negotiating block !

fecking muppet.

Myler

Ireland's relationship with the UK matters, but its relationship with the EU matters a lot more. I thought this was elementary stuff.
Grand.

In which case, the trading relationship with UK is important, but not existential.

Unless Leo is saying that, under all possible future scenarios, our economy will cease to be.

Disillusioned democrat

Grand.

In which case, the trading relationship with UK is important, but not existential.

Unless Leo is saying that, under all possible future scenarios, our economy will cease to be.
Does anyone remember when we had a functioning independent media in Ireland?

You know, when someone might have tentatively raised a hand and asked "What the f**k are you spoofing about, Taoiseach?"

McTell

Of course it won't be "difficult". He is preparing the ground for the inevitable customs duty that will be agreed on product A, in return for none on product B.

That will involve some haggling within the EU, as well as between the EU and UK.... and the UK thinking what better deal it can do with the USA and so on.

It will come down to what can be agreed when. On balance, an earlier deal must hinder the uk's chances to "shop around".

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Could be Varadkar warning Westminster that a trade deal between the EU and the UK may not be as straightforward as Westminster thinks it might be.

lord

Varadar is an awful Leader and he wont be here after the next election. FG have failed the Irish people with their greed and Pocket Lining. FF,FG.Labour,SF and Greens all the Same only their own and their partys intrests at heart.

blinding

Boris must have bent Leo over his knees at the Liverpool Meeting and they made an Eton Mess .

Dame_Enda

Does anyone remember when we had a functioning independent media in Ireland?

You know, when someone might have tentatively raised a hand and asked "What the f**k are you spoofing about, Taoiseach?"
I remember that before the change of ownership, the Irish media were quite hostile to FF in the 1990s until they fell from power. Under FG INM have often seemed like lapdogs. Siteserv was largely ignored until it had been online for years or in the UK owned Sunday Times.

raetsel

Grand.

Of course it is not existential, though it is undoubtedly important. Politicians are given to hyperbole.

owedtojoy

Or if its nonsense, if what Leo needs to say is Agriculture is much less important than its made out to be, can we stop all this existential nonsense and talk about stuff that really matters?
It is not Ireland seeking a Trade Deal, it is the UK. We are remaining in the EU.

It is in our interests to help the UK get a good Trade Deal, while maintaining the Single Market.

There is no sense in slavishly following the UK, with whom we will not count for anything (even less than Scotland does), when we have the joint bargaining power of the EU behind us. With the UK we would also have to follow their standards in agriculture, pharma and worker's rights - which might just destroy all our major industries.

Would Boris Johnson be putting a border down the Irish Sea, maintaining the Good Friday Agreement and a Soft Border, just on account of his love for Ireland? FFS, we only got those concessions because of EU support.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is seriously deluded.

owedtojoy

Of course it is not existential, though it is undoubtedly important. Politicians are given to hyperbole.
The Taoiseach probably had one eye on the forthcoming election. Brexit is one area where the Government has public approval.

The sub-text of his remarks is "The Government has been doing fine so far, but You Still Need Us"

Gwannow

I wonder if the chant of the Unionists to Boris will be "Build That Bridge"?
I say our power as an EU member will give us a strong hand in trade negotiations. It would also be propitious for our EU representatives and State politicians to advance the cause for other EU countries to pick up the slack on any loss of trade we might experience with the UK.

hiding behind a poster

Or you could always try not misrepresenting what Leo said , for the purpose of advancing your own agenda.

hiding behind a poster

I'm glad so we have some of the best paid politicians and civil servants - this should be a piece of piss for them....it's a shame, though, that there weren't any indications that this could happen so we could have prepared.....I mean who could have predicted the UK would leave the EU in 2020?
You utter clown.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom