Varadkar vs Coveney - differences

Voluntary

What are the differences between the 2 in question. Their views on policies, strategies, future.
What directions can we expect from one and what from another?

Let's start, I'll update the below over time according to feedback

Spending and social policies
What I get about Varadkar is that he's not in favor of indebting citizens, which I think is good.
Coveney - I think he's more to the left.

Varadkar:
"here is this cake, now let’s divide it up’. If you are on the right, you say you have to make the cake before you can divide it up. Ireland is a country where the vast majority of people have a centre-right mindset and vote that way, but yet they can’t say that, because ‘right’ is a bad word. So they kind of delude themselves into being left-wing because that makes them a good person, but they actually think, act, and vote in a right-of-centre way. And to me that’s irrational."
Abortion
Coveney - strong against abortion.
Varadkar - against abortion on demand (ok after rape) but commits to referendum on abortion in 2018.

Cannabis
Coveney - against decriminalization of soft drugs like cannabis,
Leo - not sure, but looks like he's more in favor of doing so, quoting his words:
Varadkar:
" It really shows the extent to which the main opponents of any form of legalisation or regularisation of drugs are those who are making a fortune out of selling unsafe, dangerous, drugs"
Prostitution
Coveney - wants to criminalize prostitution by criminalizing clients.
Leo - what's his view on the subject?

Religion
Coveney - full time catholic, goes to masses every Sunday
Leo - catholic by tradition, agnostic in believes.

USC & Income Tax

Coveney - move away from the Fine Gael focus on abolishing the universal social charge (USC). Amend income taxes to lower the burden posed on the middle income class.

Varadkar - substantial USC reform, increase the low income level at which income tax earners enter the higher 40 per cent rate. Merge USC with PRSI. new deal for self employed to go in line with PAYE workers

Benefits

Coveney -

Varadkar
- extend JB to self employed.
- 'Irish society cannot be split into "one group of people who pay for everything and another who want everything for free and think others should pay for it".'
- restore back to school allowances by 50% in 2 years

Public Sector

Coveney -

Varadkar - supports an extension of the Lansdowne Road Agreement, but public sector pay must be sustainable

Housing
Coveney - ??
Leo - abandon FTB grants introduced by coveney, continue investment in housing

Public Transport
Coveney - ??
Leo - build Dublin Metro, M20 and other motorways

Last edited:

Munnkeyman

I'd expect no defined direction from either and a whole load of reactionary bluster to any scandal or crisis. So, in short, more of the same.

HereWeGoAgain

Hot Press has interviewed both of the leading candidates. It is worth having a look back at those interviews now, to see what they reveal about the candidates, personally and politically. It is, as they say, all to play for..

Simon Coveney Interview 2015
The son of a wealthy ‘merchant prince’ and politician, Simon Coveney was plunged into politics aged 25 when his father died suddenly. He has had a colourful career, encompassing ‘heaves’ against two Fine Gael leaders and a key part in the gay marriage campaign. In an extensive interview, the Minister speaks openly about the challenge of balancing family life and political ambitions – and lots more besides.
Simon Coveney Interview | Features | Interview | Hot Press

Leo Varadkar Interview 2016:
The weekend's election results make bleak reading for the outgoing government, and while there's still numbers to be crunched, some are calling for a change. Could the young Dubliner be the change that we're looking for?

Back in 2010, Leo Varadkar was a first term TD making waves within the Dáil; now, he's seen as one of the frontrunners to assume the leadership of the party. Our man Olaf Tyaransen posed the questions - topics included drugs, sex, religion and lots more besides.
Archive Interview: Hot Press meets Leo Varadkar | Music | News | Hot Press

james toney

Who cares...Fine Gael will self implode whichever of the two lame ducks takes over from the gombeen.
Both will look after the elite....while they lick arse at those Bilderberg meetings.

Hewson

There's one fundamental difference between Varadkar and Coveney: the latter is honest and truthful, even about his own perceived shortcomings, the former a thoroughbred slicker with an inflated opinion of his abilities.

Varadker will also drag Fine Gael to the right, something that Party needs like a dose of botulism. Coveney's inherent sincerity will attract more disillusioned voters sick to the teeth of smartass professional talking heads who want to be all things to all men (and women).

I hope Coveney turns it around in his favour. He deserves it.

Prester Jim

There's one fundamental difference between Varadkar and Coveney: the latter is honest and truthful, even about his own perceived shortcomings, the former a thoroughbred slicker with an inflated opinion of his abilities.

Varadker will also drag Fine Gael to the right, something that Party needs like a dose of botulism. Coveney's inherent sincerity will attract more disillusioned voters sick to the teeth of smartass professional talking heads who want to be all things to all men (and women).

I hope Coveney turns it around in his favour. He deserves it.
Whatever about Coveney deserving it, I agree with the rest. Varadkar is only impressive because the Media have fluffed him continually, he seems to believe the guff they come out with about him.
What has he actually achieved beyond internal FG victories? He has barely left a mark in any of the ministries he held.
He is FG's Brian Cowen.

gleeful

Varadkar is the closest thing Ireland will ever have to an Obama. Sad really.

tipofdiceberg

What are the differences between the 2 in question. Their views on policies, strategies, future.
What directions can we expect from one and what from another?
Coveney was a tearaway and expelled from a private boarding school for being persistently drunk and disorderly and absconding. Arrogant and "friendly" with the DUP backers of Project Eagle. A Bilderberger and very wealthy.

Leo bullsh###s until the cows come home. He does not work hard and just delegates and does not give a damn about costs or people's opinions. Bloody minded, arrrogant, some say bullyboy. Frivolous with taxpayer's money on personal expenses (6400 on PR photoshoot).

General Urko

If Simon continues and you have the hustings, quite possibly Simon could beat Leo hands down in the debates and still lose massively!
Ironically it might be to Simon's advantage not to become PM this time!
On Yatesy today, it was said, Leo has guaranteed Simon a ministerial post but no guarantees for his supporters!

Mushroom

As a gourmet (with sybaritic tendencies), I would regard one as being roast turkey breast; the other roast loin of venison.

One is healthy, tastes good with stuffing but on its own, is rather bland. I would wash it down with a light red wine, a beaujolais or a Kiwi pinot noir.

The other is equally healthy, tastes gamey and needs a succulent, juniper flavoured sauce to bring out all of the flavour. To accompany it, I'd want a big claret or a Chateauneuf du Pape.

At the end of the day, I suspect that the majority of FG councillors and members, being people of good taste, will opt for the red meat and full-bodied vino.

Fullforward

What's the difference between Denis O'Brien?

General Urko

As a gourmet (with sybaritic tendencies), I would regard one as being roast turkey breast; the other roast loin of venison.

One is healthy, tastes good with stuffing but on its own, is rather bland. I would wash it down with a light red wine, a beaujolais or a Kiwi pinot noir.

The other is equally healthy, tastes gamey and needs a succulent, juniper flavoured sauce to bring out all of the flavour. To accompany it, I'd want a big claret or a Chateauneuf du Pape.

At the end of the day, I suspect that the majority of FG councillors and members, being people of good taste, will opt for the red meat and full-bodied vino.
Mushroom, you turned out fierce posh after going to the local Tech as I said before!petunia

So Fitzgerald it is so!:rolleyes:

Sister Mercedes

I think Simon should stay in, at the very least to force a debate about what policies a taoiseach Leo would pursue.

sic transit

What's the difference between Denis O'Brien and Denis O'Brien?
Much as I loathe seeing this done, rogue grammar is a worse sin, so fixed that for you! Still incoherent rubbish mind!

General Urko

Much as I loathe seeing this done, rogue grammar is a worse sin, so fixed that for you! Still incoherent rubbish mind!
We are not discussing who will be leader of our Grammer Nazi Party, just our local Fascist Party!petunia

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies