Varadkar watch - track his successes and failures as Taoiseach for easy reference

hiding behind a poster

There is zero chance of health spending being controlled. O'Brien said Dublin needs 3 Emergency centres, not 6, he also said Navan is not fit for purpose, does anyone think there is the smallest possibility that either will accepted by the political class? Anyone who ever managed a project knows that the only way to reduce overall cost is to reduce the scope of work. Health spending is mainly on wages but it is politically impossible to close a hospital.
I agree that no politician will support the closure of 3 A&Es in Dublin, even if there were more primary care centres than there are newsagents. Re cost, not so much - one of the reasons the vested interests were out to get Reilly was that his plan included changed the core daytime period to 8am-8pm, from it's previous 9am-5pm. That saved cost without increasing work, and they never forgave him for it.

bokuden

Some stats from Varadkar's first year in office:

707,000 on Hospital waiting lists
44,029 children waiting for treatment
76 percent jump in property prices
1, 572 euro, the average rent in Dublin
800,000 on or below the poverty line
10,000 homeless

Well done FG and all their supporters!

Fr. Ted Crilly

My point is that the mob on here who were hooping and whooping about Reilly's resignation, as usual were utterly failing to see the bigger picture, the wider context. Here's the reality - Reilly was the worst nightmare for the vested interests in the health service, those whose restrictive practices and cushy numbers are making a bad health service worse, and stimying any real reform. Reilly was their worst nightmare because he was a Health Minister who knew the system, knew the politics, knew those vested interests and what they were at, and had plans to fix the whole lot. Do you really think the journos found out that stuff about the primary care centres all by themselves? Do you think Shortall did? And the stuff about his personal finances? Reilly was brought down by a classic inside job, and when the new man came in everything went back to dquare one, because Varadkar hadn't the inside experience Reilly had.

And as usual, the mob got it wrong. The same mob who are now giving out that nothing changes in Health.
What the f**k are you talking about???

Reilly was the president of the IMO, the greatest vested interest there is in health, before he decided to try his luck at being a politician........
Jesus Wept!!!

Fr. Ted Crilly

The hysterical reaction to his latest statement might give you a clue, laddy. :wink:
The lying gobsh1te is trying to blame the people at the coalface for the failings of HSE management.
What next, blame the patients for being ill?

IDBI0

I gave my experience of how rotas were not in use for Speech therapy and Physiotherapy. They were mentioned to us as being very important to help recovery. Yet, the services stopped simply because rotas were not in place. I never mentioned nurses and doctors. As a matter of fact, the loneliness of the place over those long week-ends might suggest that there could have been a lot of doctors and nurses absent There's no point in dealing with Doctors as they will tell us - as they did on radio,- that they are either on duty or on call. Who knows what's happening?
Perhaps you should follow your own advice to me and "think for a little longer before you write." Of course rotas are part of so many occupations , otherwise there would be chaos. Please think of the patients while still giving fair play to the medics.
You brought it to the doctors' and nurses' door at the end of your post. Varadkar attacked the doctors and nurses specifically. Of course patients must come first, we are all patients at one time or another. In my experience the vast majority of hospital doctors and nurses always put the patients first. It's almost a vocation for them. There is a very severe shortage of speech therapists at any time and even outside of a bank holiday your relative would have been lucky to see one. They cannot be expected to work around the clock. Varadkar was Minister for Health and is now Taoiseach, it is he who should carry the can for your relative's unacceptable and unfortunate experience.

SPN

wombat

Reilly was the president of the IMO, the greatest vested interest there is in health, before he decided to try his luck at being a politician........
Jesus Wept!!!
You never heard the expression poacher turned gamekeeper?

hiding behind a poster

Jesus Wept!!!
But that's exactly my point. He knew, if you'll pardon the unfortunate phrase, where the bodies were buried. They couldn't bullsh*t him the way they could outsiders like Martin and Harney, who knew nothing about it.

hiding behind a poster

Some stats from Varadkar's first year in office:

707,000 on Hospital waiting lists
44,029 children waiting for treatment
76 percent jump in property prices
1, 572 euro, the average rent in Dublin
800,000 on or below the poverty line
10,000 homeless

Well done FG and all their supporters!
Except that they're not stats from his first year in office. You realise that a Taoiseach can't reset everything to zero when he takes office?

IDBI0

When did LV attack doctors and nurses specifically?
"Nurses and hospital consultants should not take holidays in early January, the Taoiseach has told the Dáil as it debated plans to deal with overcrowding in hospitals this winter."

It was reported by most news media in the country. BTW many nurses will be off for random days over the Christmas period without choosing to be. Because certain units are closed by the HSE during this time nurses are compelled to take holiday time that they would rather save up for actual holidays. The system is bonkers and it mainly began with the terrible decision to establish the HSE. During that process new administrators were recruited in addition to the existing admin.

Fr. Ted Crilly

But that's exactly my point. He knew, if you'll pardon the unfortunate phrase, where the bodies were buried. They couldn't bullsh*t him the way they could outsiders like Martin and Harney, who knew nothing about it.
Go away out of that......Remember how Reilly claimed he'd never met Seamus Murphy?
Vested interests ok........

hiding behind a poster

Go away out of that......Remember how Reilly claimed he'd never met Seamus Murphy?
Vested interests ok........
You see, there you go again. Getting distracted by the parlour-game side of the story, and missing the bigger picture.

Fr. Ted Crilly

You never heard the expression poacher turned gamekeeper?
I have heard that ok, and I know what it means....
Reilly was no poacher turned gamekeeper....

More like poacher turned elitist toff hunter.........

hiding behind a poster

"Nurses and hospital consultants should not take holidays in early January, the Taoiseach has told the Dáil as it debated plans to deal with overcrowding in hospitals this winter."
That's not an attack, though. Pilots have great difficulty taking holidays in summer, when demand is highest. Teachers can't go on holidays in mid-January. Sheep farmers can't go on holidays during the lambing season.

Fr. Ted Crilly

You see, there you go again. Getting distracted by the parlour-game side of the story, and missing the bigger picture.
How is the wonderboy with the degree in journalism getting on with the bigger picture?
What new records can we expect this winter after almost 8 years and 3 successive FG ministers for health?

SPN

That's not an attack.

That's common sense.

There aren't too many Accountants on holidays in late October.

I know of two Government Departments with offices near here.

In one Department there were only two staff working during the half-term break. The workload at the end of October isn't huge and two staff were capable of keeping the show on the road.

In the other Department they only allowed two staff take holidays (at any time) during the half-term break because they are under huge pressure at the end of October.

If there is a problem with stuff not getting done because too many people are on holidays, then don't let so many people take holidays.

If you want to claim that LV was wrong because increasing staff numbers wouldn't fix the problem (maybe set out in detail what the actual problem is), then I'm all ears.

But please don't try and pretend that a suggestion to rationalise the system for allocating annual leave is an attack on anyone.

Fr. Ted Crilly

That's not an attack, though. Pilots have great difficulty taking holidays in summer, when demand is highest. Teachers can't go on holidays in mid-January. Sheep farmers can't go on holidays during the lambing season.
Simon Harris went on a 2 week holiday at the height of the cervical smear test scandal.....

IDBI0

That's not an attack.

That's common sense.

There aren't too many Accountants on holidays in late October.

I know of two Government Departments with offices near here.

In one Department there were only two staff working during the half-term break. The workload at the end of October isn't huge and two staff were capable of keeping the show on the road.

In the other Department they only allowed two staff take holidays (at any time) during the half-term break because they are under huge pressure at the end of October.

If there is a problem with stuff not getting done because too many people are on holidays, then don't let so many people take holidays.

If you want to claim that LV was wrong because increasing staff numbers wouldn't fix the problem (maybe set out in detail what the actual problem is), then I'm all ears.

But please don't try and pretend that a suggestion to rationalise the system for allocating annual leave is an attack on anyone.
Ha! I don't pay much attention to posters political loyalties but I've just realised that I'm conversing with FG head office. Cheerio.

SPN

Simon Harris went on a 2 week holiday at the height of the cervical smear test scandal.....
Surely the cervical smear test scandal was whenever the labs were (allegedly) misreading the smears, all those years ago?

What has Harris got to do with that?