• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Varadkar watch - track his successes and failures as Taoiseach for easy reference

hiding behind a poster

there's a lot more collectively cabinet failures in this govt than successes
That's a matter of opinion, but the point still stands. Under our system of government, it's not for the head of government to go off on solo runs.

hiding behind a poster

Correct. However on pain of being considered a pale shade of blue, I think he (like Kenny before him on another St Patrick's Day) made a strong moral gesture when he brought his partner to the White House and stood firm for marriage equality. The current US administration is stuffed with homophobes, Christian fundamentalists, and other bigots, so it is important to remind them that paying lip service to St Patrick's Day cuts no ice with real Irish people.
Yeah that's a fair point. I'd see the current level of European unity and solidarity with the Irish position on Brexit as a major success for the Irish government, as a result of a process started without fanfare by Kenny, and continued seamlessly by Varadkar.

Pyewacket

Yeah that's a fair point. I'd see the current level of European unity and solidarity with the Irish position on Brexit as a major success for the Irish government, as a result of a process started without fanfare by Kenny, and continued seamlessly by Varadkar.
I would go further, and say had Cameron listened to Kenny, none of this would have happened. It is a little known fact, certainly rarely referred to, that Kenny spent a lot of time counselling Cameron about the possible ramifications of a Brexit Referendum, not merely from the POV of its effect on Ireland, which the Irish Ambassador could do as well, but wrt to the dangers to the UK. He went above and beyond in backdoor channels, and his reward was to be publically slighted both at home and in Britain. The history books will be interesting. :)

redneck

Did Enda Kenny really advise Cameron about an EU referendum. I don't know. I do know that the Mr Kenny's minister for Foreign affairs, Charles Flanagan- was not very good. He was borderline useless if you ask me. What happened on his watch in Foreign affairs:
collapse of Stormont
Brexit
Trump.
Obviously the last two were outside of his control.

Degeneration X

Did Enda Kenny really advise Cameron about an EU referendum. I don't know. I do know that the Mr Kenny's minister for Foreign affairs, Charles Flanagan- was not very good. He was borderline useless if you ask me. What happened on his watch in Foreign affairs:
collapse of Stormont
Brexit
Trump.
To be fair to Flanagan the primary responsibility for NI lies in the Taoiseach's brief rather than his.

Degeneration X

Disillusioned democrat

I would go further, and say had Cameron listened to Kenny, none of this would have happened. It is a little known fact, certainly rarely referred to, that Kenny spent a lot of time counselling Cameron about the possible ramifications of a Brexit Referendum, not merely from the POV of its effect on Ireland, which the Irish Ambassador could do as well, but wrt to the dangers to the UK. He went above and beyond in backdoor channels, and his reward was to be publically slighted both at home and in Britain. The history books will be interesting. :)
It's telling that a thread about Varadkar's successes finally gave up trying and instead started to speculate about what could have been if his predecessor was any good.

Pyewacket

collapse of Stormont
Brexit
Trump.
He did. I remember "Enda's Solemn Warnings" on UK TV at the time, and the hope expressed by the innocent English that Cameron would listen to a man who was in a position to know about referenda and other such far-fetched things.

dunno

Correct. However on pain of being considered a pale shade of blue, I think he (like Kenny before him on another St Patrick's Day) made a strong moral gesture when he brought his partner to the White House and stood firm for marriage equality. The current US administration is stuffed with homophobes, Christian fundamentalists, and other bigots, so it is important to remind them that paying lip service to St Patrick's Day cuts no ice with real Irish people.
VP Mike Pence did invite Matt to the Pence home as well as Leo Varadkar, so I'm not exactly certain how the partner and him been at the WH was something radical.

Polybius

VP Mike Pence did invite Matt to the Pence home as well as Leo Varadkar, so I'm not exactly certain how the partner and him been at the WH was something radical.
Precisely. They already have gay marriage in the US. There were openly gay politicians visiting the White House back when Varadkar was still a pudgy straight man. Trump is not anti-gay and Mike Pence is a gentleman who is polite to everyone. Sad that the Leo fanboys are trying to claim his St. Patrick's Day visit was something radical.

redneck

I am a Sinn Féin voter, according to Leo V and FFG I am some kind of malcontent. Leo V says- "I will never share power with S.F".
Ok, but there is a quote from the Bible, from Jesus, that says:
"Be careful what you do and say towards others, because the measure of justice you give is the measure of justice you will obtain"
In other words treat others like you would like to be treated yourself.
Leo V says S.F are toxic.
Well Leo V- Bible says Homosexuality acts are an abomination.

Last edited:

Degeneration X

Precisely. They already have gay marriage in the US. There were openly gay politicians visiting the White House back when Varadkar was still a pudgy straight man. Trump is not anti-gay and Mike Pence is a gentleman who is polite to everyone. Sad that the Leo fanboys are trying to claim his St. Patrick's Day visit was something radical.
True enough, but Pence is no gentleman - he voted for the Iraq war (like Hillary and May) a typical example of warmongering vermin.

redneck

I am a Sinn Féin voter, according to Leo V and FFG I am some kind of malcontent. Leo V says- "I will never share power with S.F".
Ok, but there is a quote from the Bible, from Jesus, that says:
"Be careful what you do and say towards others, because the measure of justice you give is the measure of justice you will obtain"
In other words treat others like you would like to be treated yourself.
Leo V says S.F are toxic.
Well Leo V- Bible says Homosexuality acts are an abomination.
Mr Varadkar's personal life is not my concern really. I also don't like Homophobia. But Mr Varadkar's government has given grants to the Orange order. An organization that is homophobic in my opinion.

RasherHash

brughahaha

[B]carol murray[/B]‏ @[B]carolmurr33[/B] Apr 13
More
Plz RT Yesterday I stood alone to face @LeoVaradkar & he couldn’t come to me sent his PA to ask guards to ask me my intentions & was I goin to attack him. How dare heView attachment 17584 #CervicalCheckScandal as you see I found his car before I was asked to leave.even more of a coward in person

View attachment 17585

Yep that sums up varadkar ...lots of spin from media friends , great sound bites, well protected ...in reality , very limited ability, runs a government big on media launches and press releases , non existant on action and hes alson a coward who hides away from any actual interaction with the citizens unless theyve been vetted and instructed beforehand.

I suspect because hes actually devoid of any empathy or understanding of peoples lives or suffering

A total maggot really

artfoley56

Yep that sums up varadkar ...lots of spin from media friends , great sound bites, well protected ...in reality , very limited ability, runs a government big on media launches and press releases , non existant on action and hes alson a coward who hides away from any actual interaction with the citizens unless theyve been vetted and instructed beforehand.

I suspect because hes actually devoid of any empathy or understanding of peoples lives or suffering

A total maggot really
in fairness though if youre in a poke and you need a spoon put in the dishwasher with a camera around, then leo will certainly step up to the plate.

brughahaha

in fairness though if youre in a poke and you need a spoon put in the dishwasher with a camera around, then leo will certainly step up to the plate.
But only if the spoon and dishwasher live in an area with a median income of €120,000 and have been vetted and passed as lifelong FG supporters

redneck

It is hard to blame Leo V for being cautious who he meets or where he goes. That said a genuine leader would not be too afraid of meeting the people. Leo V had a go at John Delaney yesterday too.
He says he will stop funding for FAI due to incompetance and bad financial practice. Hmmm, that sounds like a lot of organizations in this country- including FFG.

brughahaha

It is hard to blame Leo V for being cautious who he meets or where he goes. That said a genuine leader would not be too afraid of meeting the people. Leo V had a go at John Delaney yesterday too.
He says he will stop funding for FAI due to incompetance and bad financial practice. Hmmm, that sounds like a lot of organizations in this country- including FFG.

Leo did what he always does ....stuck his finger in the air to see what way public opinion was blowing ...and made a statement to an ever eager and awestruck media ..check back in 6 months and i guarantee neither he nor his government will actually have done anything about it, to stop it happening again
(like making all agencies in receipt of public money , forced to issue all wages and all internal reports)

Last edited:

Disillusioned democrat

Leo did what he always does ....stuck his finger in the air to see what way public opinion was blowing ...and made a statementto an ever eager and awestruck media ..check back in 6 months and i guarantee neither he nor his government will actually have done anything about it, to stop it happening again
(like making all agencies in receipt of public money , forced to issue all wages and all internal reports)
Yup..
It was very obvious that a deal was already being made when Varadkar decided it was time to jump on the anti-Delaney bandwagon...RTE then reported hilariously that Varadkar had questioned the state of the FAI...long after the horse had bolted.

He truly is a gifted leader when his "followers" are already halfway there.