Varadkar wheeled out by the EU tonight yet again to say why an electronic border won't work

ScoobyDoo

"I visited the US-Canada border, I visited it back in August, and I saw a hard border with physical infrastructure with customs posts, people in uniforms with arms and dogs and that is definitely not a solution that is one that we can possibly entertain,"

So we can conclude:

1. For the Irish border, Varadkar/EU do not accept
a. Physical infrastructure - How else will electronic tags be scanned without infrastructure? We don't seem to have worked this out for motorway tolls either.
b. Customs posts - What are the purpose of these posts? Could they just not put up posts on the Irish border?
c. People in uniforms - Would it be acceptable if they dressed down in jeans?
d. People with arms - Presumably Varadkar means guns, you were in America Leo it was hardly surprising to see this. Will Barnier's proposed border force in Larne and Belfast carry guns?
e. People with dogs - Not sure why this would be a show stopper either.

2. It seemingly has absolutely nothing to do with the electronic technology being implementable as a solution.

https://www.independent.ie/business/brexit/taoiseach-rejects-uscanada-border-example-as-possible-solution-for-northern-ireland-border-issue-36672552.html

The_SR

Wheeled out? It's hardly a position that Irish people object to.

Tribal

I guess as he visited last year and May and her Brexiteers are fúcking nounces I guess all we can do is repeat for those numpies why they can't take back control of their border and then not control them.

Everyone is starting to feel like it's pointless talking with the brits but it has to be done until they've exhausted the clock. Then down come the shutters.

Last edited:

Dame_Enda

This is like the Frances Fitzgerald resignation in the sense that Leo boxes himself into a political corner and gets egg on his face if/when he has to back down.

hiding behind a poster

Someone ring the Zoo and tell them there's a thread on the way over.

storybud1

This is like the Frances Fitzgerald resignation in the sense that Leo boxes himself into a political corner and gets egg on his face if/when he has to back down.
anyone that ponces around with that Castro loving fascist Trudeau has to be suspect, Leo seems to be running the numbers like money ball on the least annoying thing to say to his masters,, a pure spoofer ,

Analyzer

All that is missing is for Simple Simon and the rest of the Amateur PD party to make a defiant statement of 100% support, all the way.

hiding behind a poster

Frances who? Look at the polls, FT - nobody cared. It was a Beltway story.

ScoobyDoo

I guess as he visited last year and May and her Brexiteers are fúcking nounces I guess all we can do is repeat for those numpies why they can take back control and then not take back control.

Everyone is starting to feel like it's pointless talking with the brits but it has to be done until they've exhausted the clock. Then down come the shutters.
But in all the times Leo refers back to this trip he has not explained once why an electronic solution would not work.

Just waffles like tonight that it certainly can't and reels off stuff about dogs and uniforms.

Analyzer

2. It seemingly has absolutely nothing to do with the electronic technology being implementable as a solution.
Was Leo the Useless. not Minister for Transport, when the stretch Luas trams were ordered, for the line crossing O'Connell Bridge ?

Everything will be graaaaannd. What could possibly go wrong ?

Last edited:

Sweet Darling

anyone that ponces around with that Castro loving fascist Trudeau has to be suspect, Leo seems to be running the numbers like money ball on the least annoying thing to say to his masters,, a pure spoofer ,
Jarreee must ( Not for the first time ) be a suspect so.

hiding behind a poster

Ah yes polls. Very accurate lately with Trump and Brexit.
They were very accurate, yes. Particularly in the US. But anyway FT, if poll after poll by each and every polling company shows FG up 7-10 points since Varadkar became leader, it's safe to say there's probably something in it.

Boy M5

It's internal and European law he's qupting.

May's the one who's boxed herself in,

Dame_Enda

They were very accurate, yes. Particularly in the US. But anyway FT, if poll after poll by each and every polling company shows FG up 7-10 points since Varadkar became leader, it's safe to say there's probably something in it.
They nearly all had her ahead.

I would also remind you of the unexpected collapse of the FG vote in 2016, and the unexpected surge in the FF vote.

Boy M5

I'm sick and tired of the stormfrint boys getting tumnescent about Brexit.

It is a dirty bomb on our economy and society.

Indon't like Vlad. However, he's doing an outstanding job with Coveney on Brexit.

Really showing up how poor May and the Brexiteers are.

PBP voter

hiding behind a poster

They nearly all had her ahead.
And she won by 3%, so unless they had her ahead by 7 or more, they were right.

I would also remind you of the unexpected collapse of the FG vote in 2016, and the unexpected surge in the FF vote.
It wasn't unexpected. I was on the ground in that election, candidates and canvassers felt support ebbing away in the final week. I'd say the polls were spot on.

hiding behind a poster

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies