Varadkar will not implement hard border in event of hard Brexit

NMunsterman

A border on the island of Ireland recognizes the reality of NI as part of the UK. A sea border is a fantasy.
An Irish Sea Border is exactly what "Trainwreck", a self-confessed Brexiteer, is proposing - in countless posts.

Vega1447

A border on the island of Ireland recognizes the reality of NI as part of the UK. A sea border is a fantasy.
You know Sailor, I am old enough to remember when you posted here "identifying" as a Fianna Fáiler.

FF->Onionist (sic), from deceitful Soldier of Dysentery to honest Onionist...

D

Deleted member 17573

You know Sailor, I am old enough to remember when you posted here "identifying" as a Fianna Fáiler.

FF->Onionist (sic), from deceitful Soldier of Dysentery to honest Onionist...
I would vote for FF if there was an election tomorrow, and if I had a vote. But I was never a FFer the sense of being a member, nor did I ever claim to be.

Vega1447

I would vote for FF if there was an election tomorrow, and if I had a vote. But I was never a FFer the sense of being a member, nor did I ever claim to be.
Dysentery is a terrible disease. You are better off as an honest Onionist (sic).

Vega1447

I'm bow to your obvious experience with dysentery.
And I to your obvious experience with Onionism (sic).

Seriously, when did you first... suspect... that you might have Onionist (sic) feelings?

NMunsterman

Some Brexiteers see the Irish Sea Border as the solution.
Some Brexiteers - like you, for example - see the Irish Sea Border as a fantasy.

"Houston, we have....." and all the rest......

No worries, Brexiteers still have some time to make your minds up - though time is running short for the British Govt.

Sync

It's already there in many ways. Perfect solution. Always was. But back to the negotiation. THe EU want the British to soft Brexit, rigth? So to do that you need the British parliament and public to be faced with a choice and that choice needs top paint Hard Brexit as badly as possoible and Soft Brexist as easy and positively as possible. Of course the Arch Brexiters see this happening hence the fits over the border.
Brexit is happening. It's down to what type and that still has a journey to go. THe British do not want to be back in the NI quagmire becuase of a bloody hard border which they'd alreayd committed to avoid at all costs in all circumstances.
My bet on this one is a waffley version of a CU/CM, slightly reworded with some sectors tariffed to offset FoM so May needs to pick what industries she'll cull. Enough for May to convince most Britons that they got most of their Brexit and enough for the EU to say to it's members that Britain got a good deal but is fundamentally worse off having left by not having any say in the rules any more. And that'll calm everyone down for another ten years.
But what does the EU get out of that? I’m never clear on this point. An FTA for goods is inevitable. Hard/soft, within 5 years there will be an FTA that covers goods. The UK can’t survive without that. If May doesn’t like that then the next PM who gets in after recession hits will. And the EU likes FTAs so they’ll go for it.

The only other thing the UK does well is services. Services which rely in a large part on access to the single market. Access which, if removed, would see jobs and taxes go to Dublin, Paris, Frankfurt etc. So WHY would the EU give the UK a better deal than Canada or Norway? I don’t see what’s in it for them.

D

Deleted member 17573

And I to your obvious experience with Onionism (sic).

Seriously, when did you first... suspect... that you might have Onionist (sic) feelings?
It would be foolish to deny that a substantial part of our heritage and culture are Anglo-Irish, and not some Celtic mythology. All of my ancestors, going back quite a few generations, were English-speaking citizens of the British Empire.

SPN

I thought the amount of stupid on the main Brexit thread was something that couldn't be bettered.

Boy was I wrong.

The EU and UK have agreed there will be no hard border.

Varadkar says there will be no hard border and all hell breaks loose.

Like seriously.

ScoobyDoo

I thought the amount of stupid on the main Brexit thread was something that couldn't be bettered.

Boy was I wrong.

The EU and UK have agreed there will be no hard border.

Varadkar says there will be no hard border and all hell breaks loose.

Like seriously.

What?

Only a few weeks ago Varadkar said it was "going to be tricky to avoid a hard border"

Now suddenly today he says there will be no hard border under any circumstances.

jams odonnell

I should also point out that that odious chap Barnier has recently taken to saying “Brexit means Brexit” at every available opportunity. So it looks like this is a coordinated effort to mine the British position for cheap laughs.

David used his SAS skills to leave the Berlaymont through the backdoor today to showcase his empirical approach to negotiation. That certainly left Barnier looking rather foolish at the Press Conference.

Hearts and Minds of British Steel.

Last edited:

SPN

What?

Only a few weeks ago Varadkar said it was "going to be tricky to avoid a hard border"

Now suddenly today he says there will be no hard border under any circumstances.
He said there would be no hard border that day as well.

"Both the British government and the Irish Government are very much of the view that the agreement that was made back in December stands, and that we both prefer option A as the best option by which we can avoid a hard Border in Ireland, and that is through a comprehensive free-trade and customs agreement involving Britain and Ireland,"

Seriously lads, are ye complete thickos or what?

This is basic, simple english.

jams odonnell

"Both the British government and the Irish Government are very much of the view that the agreement that was made back in December stands, and that we both prefer option A as the best option by which we can avoid a hard Border in Ireland, and that is through a comprehensive free-trade and customs agreement involving Britain and Ireland,"

Most of the people who frequent this website are Southern Irish. Your final two lines are rather unfortunate.

Hearts and Minds of British Steel.

seanof

Am I missing something? Would "a comprehensive free-trade and customs agreement involving Britain and Ireland" not require either that agreement to include the EU as a whole OR a hard border between the EU and Ireland?

Dr Pat

Ya nutter. Relax. It's all good and on track. This is a done deal. If anything Varadkar is giving the game away a it by being too visibly relaxed. He know's it's in the bag. but he needs to look a little more stressed to give the hard brexiters some false hope and keep them occupied.
What are Leo, the abortion facilitator and his Sidekicker Simple Simon doing setting up embassies in the Ukraine, Morocco and the Philippines? Is silly-socked Mad Vlad the Lad thinking of getting into the ring with the other Vlad? As for Morocco, is it something to do with the hordes of friendly would-be New Irish citizens passing through to hop on an NGO boats or friendly Irish naval vessel or does he just fancy showing his socks around Rabat and Tangiers? As for the Philippines, are our decision makers intent on importing more maids and medical types, draining that unfortunate country of medical expertise still further?

ShoutingIsLeadership

How about a hard border that starts at Calais, and leave the CTA in place ?

It would even result in Ireland having more sovereignty at the expense of imperial HQ in brussels.
Imperial HQ.

Just as well this never leaves its bedroom.

jams odonnell

What are Leo, the abortion facilitator and his Sidekicker Simple Simon doing setting up embassies in the Ukraine, Morocco and the Philippines? Is silly-socked Mad Vlad the Lad thinking of getting into the ring with the other Vlad? As for Morocco, is it something to do with the hordes of friendly would-be New Irish citizens passing through to hop on an NGO boats or friendly Irish naval vessel or does he just fancy showing his socks around Rabat and Tangiers? As for the Philippines, are our decision makers intent on importing more maids and medical types, draining that unfortunate country of medical expertise still further?
Several excellent points there, Dr Pat.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies