Varadker Slams HSE-Big deal!

riker1969

So Vlad the impaler has set his sites on over spending HSE. Its over budget by 300m. He points out our health expenditure is 5th highest in World but we dont have fifth best system.

I dont expect him to do anything. We had a golden opportunity for radical reform during crash. One basic reform would have been the elimination of excess staff in HSE by redundancy (compulsory) . I would have pursued that entire Public sector and Im a teacher.

Im fed up with both FG and FF on health service. Is it time to give somebody else a go?

devoutcapitalist

No political party has the balls to take on the unions in the HSE. It certainly won't be Sinn Fein.

tsarbomb

Tougher words have been spoken with regard to the HSE overspend in the past and the sector wasn't sorted then. I can't imagine this government will be the one to finally bring spending under control while providing a better service.

No party would do a better job I recon.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Which services would you cut, lads? Which life saving drug at 200k a pop, would you not buy? Who would you let die or suffer some more?

This is the same old bullsh1t PR from politicians trying to look tough and get attention after their holidays

sic transit

Getting his digs in before the usual annual whingefest about having run out of money, well the hospitals.

riker1969

I dont think its as simple as cutting drugs. All nations face that issue. For what we spend we dont get a good return. I dont think our population profile is worse than most EU nations?

razorblade

Who else realistically could we trust to actually be able to run it any better, there doesnt seem to be much options to choose from.

Scitlipo

So Vlad the impaler has set his sites on over spending HSE. Its over budget by 300m. He points out our health expenditure is 5th highest in World but we dont have fifth best system.

I dont expect him to do anything. We had a golden opportunity for radical reform during crash. One basic reform would have been the elimination of excess staff in HSE by redundancy (compulsory) . I would have pursued that entire Public sector and Im a teacher.

Im fed up with both FG and FF on health service. Is it time to give somebody else a go?
Better to take the HSE management by the balls and castrate them. The fire 'em and give it to someone who actually knows what they are doing and who will take tough decisions and no prisoners.
Why do private hospitals run like clockwork?

ShoutingIsLeadership

I dont think its as simple as cutting drugs. All nations face that issue. For what we spend we dont get a good return. I dont think our population profile is worse than most EU nations?

So, last budget a figure was pulled from an arse and that was the budget given to the HSE. The HSE is a tiny 300 million over that budget, and it's some sort of crime.

There are huge problems in health, but none that haven't been known about for years, including when Hugh Grant was Minister for Health, and none that are related to this small over-spend.

Sister Mercedes

Our population profile is better than most EU nations, because our population is younger and most health expenditure is incurred in old age. So we should have a fantastic health service for the money we spend on it (public and private combined).

sic transit

Sister Mercedes

They could have saved 80 million by not bothering with Orkambi

'Life changing' cystic fibrosis drug Orkambi will be available from next month
Both the NHS and its Scottish equivalent rejected Orkambi because its not cost effective compared to other drugs available.

NICE concluded that Orkambi, a combination of 200mg lumacaftor and 125mg ivacaftor, "has the potential to ease the treatment burden of cystic fibrosis by reducing the number of pulmonary exacerbations", but described the drug's cost-effectiveness as "considerably higher than what is normally considered a cost-effective use of NHS resources", and has not recommended it for use across the NHS.
In May, Orkambi was turned down by the Scottish Medicines Consortium, which said the drug's manufacturer, Vertex, had not provided "a sufficiently robust clinical and economic analysis" for use of the treatment within NHS Scotland.
New cystic fibrosis combination drug not recommended for NHS use

damus

More bluff and bluster from Leo "heads will roll" Varadkar! Has it ever occurred to him that maybe these managerial failings are because individual ministers of health themselves haven't been up to their jobs?

ShoutingIsLeadership

Hospital overruns are always the problem, especially in areas like the non-collection of fees from private heath insurers..

This is Hugh and Pascal trying to change the news cycle from Hugh's expression of support for the commissioner who presides over a Garda force which fabricated close to 1.5 million breath tests.

sic transit

This is Hugh and Pascal trying to change the news cycle from Hugh's expression of support for the commissioner who presides over a Garda force which fabricated close to 1.5 million breath tests.
No this is you coming back to the Garda carry on because nobody will get behind your "stout" defence of the HSE and their ability to manage budgets.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies