Vastly overpaid and overpensioned public sector and politicians to get a 2% pay increase on the back of a broken private sector

Patslatt1

Former Taoiseach Leo Varadkar did nothing to curb the huge 45% premium pay of the public sector average above the private sector pay average not to mention public sector jobs for life and tax free retirement lump sums. Yet he now feels embarrassed about the pending 2% pay increase for the public sector because of the timing, with the private sector broken by the pandemic. It's extremely unlikely the new government will roll back or postpone this 2% since the pay of the TDs and ministers is linked to that of top civil servants. Pay of politicians should be linked to the pay of private sector business professionals who build customer networks among the public, estate agents and financial service brokers for example.
A reform of that link is needed to bring discipline to public sector pay and pension negotiations. This link has led Ireland to the top in the EU in the highest public sector pay relativities, competing with nearly bankrupt Italy and Greece for the top spot.
Irish voters need to start voting for a political party that curbs public sector pay and totally unfunded pensions that will tip the country into bankruptcy. Such a political party doesn't exist because disillusioned Irish voters are looking for an alternative to establishment political parties in the hard left parties, Sinn fein and People before Profit who want massively to increase the public sector and private sector taxes.

Last edited:

Uganda

Former Taoiseach Leo Varadkar did nothing to curb the huge 45% premium pay of the public sector average above the private sector pay average not to mention public sector jobs for life and tax free retirement lump sums. Yet he now feels embarrassed about the pending 2% pay increase for the public sector because of the timing, with the private sector broken by the pandemic. It's extremely unlikely the new government will roll back or postpone this 2% since the pay of the TDs and ministers is linked to that of top civil servants. Pay of politicians should be linked to the pay of private sector business professionals who build customer networks among the public, estate agents and financial service brokers for example.
A reform of that link is needed to bring discipline to public sector pay and pension negotiations. This link has led Ireland to the top in the EU in the highest public sector pay relativities, competing with nearly bankrupt Italy and Greece for the top spot.
Irish voters need to start voting for a political party that curbs public sector pay and totally unfunded pensions that will tip the country into bankruptcy. Such a political party doesn't exist because disillusioned Irish voters are looking for an alternative to establishment political parties in the hard left parties, Sinn fein and People before Profit who want massively to increase the public sector and private sector taxes.
It beggars belief that retired schoolteachers (& others) will be getting a pension increase, while everyone else has to make do with no increase, in order to pay for Brexit.

Clipper

There isn't a chance the PS will get an increase in salary, in fact I suspect they'll be lucky if they don't get a paycut (with the exception of the HSE due to their recent heroics) when the bill for Covid comes in. FFG have been saying they're going to borrow to provide a stimulus but we know a large dose of austerity will come with it.

Incidently you are wrong about SF in this regard. They are the only party that would be able to make the significant efficiencies in the public sector that tax payers are demanding. Unlike other parties they are beholden to no-one and that includes PS Trade Unions.

I get a whiff of Neo Libertarianism off your post though so I suspect austerity is your prefered option.

Last edited:

McTell

The civil service wants to bring in a million of all sorts by 2040 to pay taxes to pay its pensions. That is what the whole immygration policy is about.

Your lady civil servant now aged 30 will work to ?? 68 ?? and then have an index linked pension until she dies at say 96. She is on our backs for the next 66 years, until 2086.

Clipper

The civil service wants to bring in a million of all sorts by 2040 to pay taxes to pay its pensions. That is what the whole immygration policy is about.

Your lady civil servant now aged 30 will work to ?? 68 ?? and then have an index linked pension until she dies at say 96. She is on our backs for the next 66 years, until 2086.
Youth In Asia?

Buchaill Dana

There isn't a 45% pay gap public v private to start with.

Estate agents and brokers are commission based, how do you propose politicians be remunerated in that manner?

Almost as if you are just ranting without doing any research

Clipper

There isn't a 45% pay gap public v private to start with.

Estate agents and brokers are commission based, how do you propose politicians be remunerated in that manner?

Almost as if you are just ranting without doing any research
I was wondering that, where did that figure come from? If true its a damning indicment of FFG in Government allowing such a disparity to develop.

Buchaill Dana

I was wondering that, where did that figure come from? If true its a damning indicment of FFG in Government allowing such a disparity to develop.
The pub I would assume.

Also until Covid private sector wages were growing faster than public sector. And thats just wages, we need to factor in the self employed too.

Watcher2

It was actually FF in government that developed it, not just "allowed it to develop" which makes it sound like FF were passive in its creation. Bertie set out deliberately to allow the disparity to develop. He was quite proud of it all too and probably the reason our tax model is under attack in Europe. Bertie was swanning around telling everyone he would show other European leaders "how to do it" (referring to the celtic tiger). Low and behold, only a few short years later we would learn of Bertie trapped in St Lukes in his PJs while FF underlings conducted all manner of business downstairs while the bank accountless Minister for finance wallowed in misery upstairs sitting on the edge of his bed in his pyjammas.

Buchaill Dana

It was actually FF in government that developed it, not just "allowed it to develop" which makes it sound like FF were passive in its creation. Bertie set out deliberately to allow the disparity to develop. He was quite proud of it all too and probably the reason our tax model is under attack in Europe. Bertie was swanning around telling everyone he would show other European leaders "how to do it" (referring to the celtic tiger). Low and behold, only a few short years later we would learn of Bertie trapped in St Lukes in his PJs while FF underlings conducted all manner of business downstairs while the bank accountless Minister for finance wallowed in misery upstairs sitting on the edge of his bed in his pyjammas.
'It' being what?

Clipper

First off, FG have been in power now for close to a decade and if this disparity exists (waiting for figures other than an OPs opinion) FG did nothing about it.

Buchaill Dana

"It" being the comparatively high remuneration bill of the PS/CS.
Is it? Compared to what? Have we any advance on numbers or are we going with patanomics?

Watcher2

First off, FG have been in power now for close to a decade and if this disparity exists (waiting for figures other than an OPs opinion) FG did nothing about it.
Starting you post with "first off" would indicate there is a second point but your post is conspicuously devoid of a second.

Secondly, "First off" is quite aggressive language and I am unsure as to why you are coming across all aggressive toward me. Perhaps you are a die hard FFer and have taken umbrage at the facts of history. All the same, still not my fault.

Clipper

Starting you post with "first off" would indicate there is a second point but your post is conspicuously devoid of a second.

Secondly, "First off" is quite aggressive language and I am unsure as to why you are coming across all aggressive toward me. Perhaps you are a die hard FFer and have taken umbrage at the facts of history. All the same, still not my fault.
First point I was highlighting FG inaction on this for close to a decade, Second point in brackets is that this disparity hasnt actually been confirmed yet other than as an opinion expressed in an OP and now thirdly I am by means a die hard FFer. I'm well aware of the whole Benchmarking fiasco and who is responsible and FF got the kicking they deserved and were turfed out. But and I stress again, FG have been in Governmet since 2011 and haven't done anything about it.

Last edited:

Watcher2

Is it? Compared to what? Have we any advance on numbers or are we going with patanomics?
Well, when you come out with a question like that, the "Compared to what?", you are clearly just vomiting words on a screen. Perhaps little boys should think before typing.

Clipper

Well, when you come out with a question like that, the "Compared to what?", you are clearly just vomiting words on a screen. Perhaps little boys should think before typing.
And there was you telling other people off for what was it, oh yes, aggressive language. :)

firefly123

Its been a tough few months for pat so be gentle. He's been on PS bashing lockdown because of Covid19 and was struggling as all the media got behind the Nurses etc as they did their thing. Now that there's some light at the end of the tunnel it seems like he is allowed to write his single transferable weekly PS are vermin posts again.
I can only imagine how difficult it was for him during this time as we were praised and thanked. How hard it must have been to see us untermensch in the limelight.

It is OK now Pat. Everything will hopefully go back to normal and we can all return to accusations of laziness and inefficiency as well as throwing out random numbers despite being shown (for over a decade as I count it) why those numbers are inaccurate.
Let the waves of pleasure wash over you like a good fella.

tenor - 2020-07-01T165112.775.gif

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom