Vatican bans gay dating app Gridr from Maynooth Priest training college

death or glory

It looks like the Vatican is going to come down hard (excuse the pun) on Priests using a gay dating app as I have just read this on the BBC NI web page
Irish church review over Grindr claims - BBC News

Archbishop Martin said Grindr would not be appropriate for men training to be celibate priests.

"An app like that is something which would be fostering promiscuous sexuality, which is certainly not in any way the mature vision of sexuality one would expect a priest to understand," he said.

Dame_Enda

Its forced celibacy that is inappropriate. I was puzzled when I heard them referring in recent days to celibacy as "the law of Jesus Christ". He expressly did not endorse celibacy. St.Paul in fact warned forcing priests into celibacy would bring the Church to disaster. Celibacy has only been the rule since the 11th century, and was intended to keep the property in Church hands.

cut the begs

probably selecting were they can be posted in the future.thats the main reason they join the gang.

death or glory

Its forced celibacy that is inappropriate. I was puzzled when I heard them referring in recent days to celibacy as "the law of Jesus Christ". He expressly did not endorse celibacy. St.Paul in fact warned forcing priests into celibacy would bring the Church to disaster. Celibacy has only been the rule since the 11th century, and was intended to keep the property in Church hands.
Where & when did Paul warn Priests about celibacy?

Dame_Enda

Where & when did Paul warn Priests about celibacy?
In 1 Corinthians 7 he says "To the unmarried and the widows I say that it is well for them to remain single as I am. But if they cannot exercise self-control, they should marry. For it is better to marry than to be aflame with passion" (7:8-9).

Also in 1 Tim. 3:2, 4–5, Paul says a bishop must be "the husband of one wife," and "must manage his own household well, keeping his children submissive and respectful in every way; for if a man does not know how to manage his own household, how can he care for God’s Church?" (1 Tim. 3:2, 4–5)

The Field Marshal

Its forced celibacy that is inappropriate.
To claim that celibacy is forced is the same as claiming that men are forced to be priests.

It is idiotic and you should know that.

I was puzzled when I heard them referring in recent days to celibacy as "the law of Jesus Christ". He expressly did not endorse celibacy.
He did directly by his own example and also indirectly by some of his sayings promote celibacy for priests.
Again you do not need me to be quoting the relevant gospel passages of which no doubt you are fully aware

St.Paul in fact warned forcing priests into celibacy would bring the Church to disaster.
I believe you are corrupting what Paul said.

Celibacy has only been the rule since the 11th century,
It was always the tradition for bishops almost since the churches foundation

and was intended to keep the property in Church hands.
Incorrect and again a corruption of the real reasons for the rule..

Dame_Enda

The celibacy rule was also a major factor in the fall of Rome because it caused a demographic and military crisis - the latter because priests were exempt from military service and bishops from taxation.

death or glory

In 1 Corinthians 7 he says "To the unmarried and the widows I say that it is well for them to remain single as I am. But if they cannot exercise self-control, they should marry. For it is better to marry than to be aflame with passion" (7:8-9).

Also in 1 Tim. 3:2, 4–5, Paul says a bishop must be "the husband of one wife," and "must manage his own household well, keeping his children submissive and respectful in every way; for if a man does not know how to manage his own household, how can he care for God’s Church?" (1 Tim. 3:2, 4–5)
Part 1,
it sounds like he does advocate celibacy, but marriage is ok.

Part 2
is about only having one wife instead of multiple

cut the begs

celibacy.lol..thats like the premature ejaculation dinner doo invites.
just formal wear..
come in yer pants.

tsarbomb

It is none of Martin's business what people do in their private lives. He should keep his nose out of it.

Polak

It looks like the Vatican is going to come down hard (excuse the pun) on Priests using a gay dating app as I have just read this on the BBC NI web page

Archbishop Martin said Grindr would not be appropriate for men training to be celibate priests.

"An app like that is something which would be fostering promiscuous sexuality, which is certainly not in any way the mature vision of sexuality one would expect a priest to understand," he said.
Did he really mean to say with a straight face that one would a priest to have a mature vision of sexuality? Harmless, guileless, credulous boys spending seven years in an all-male college deprived of any sexual contact with either men or women, where masturbation is a sin, listening to wall-to-wall lectures of shame-inducing bull$h!t and you think this is the formula for a mature vision of sexuality? You have high hopes, sir.

bob115

I don't think the Vatican is centrally involved in this review, according to the linked article. Going by the article, it seems to be a review emanating within the Irish Catholic Church, rather than something which has been ordered by Rome.

Cruimh

Surely any sexuality is off limits for Priests and seminarians?

Half Nelson

Oh goody! This needed another thread.

Ulpian

Grindr is full of dirty gays who can't handle real relationships but just want a quick f***.

There should be some tax on Grindr subscriptions to pay for the whackload of cash that we spend on treating HIV every year.

We've been told since the 90s that HIV is as big an issue for straights as it is for gays. Complete rubbish. Intended to avoid us seeing that HIV funding is simply normal people subsidising health care for those who are responsible for their own disease.

Polak

Surely any sexuality is off limits for Priests and seminarians?
It would appear to be for seminarians and seminarians. For priests and seminarians, there would appear to be some, well, wriggle room.

New Threads

Most Replies