VCs for "NI" & Ireland as a whole during WW2

AhNowStop

Where were all the brave Orange Men & unionists hiding and how the feck were they able to get away with it ?

`Neutral' Ireland won 7 WW2 VCs
NIs only recipient was a taig ...
All 8 Irish 2nd World War VC holders | Green Tiger Group

I await the expected stupid flippant responses form the usual suspects in a pathetic attempt to deflect from the pathetic performance of their crackpot forefathers :roll:

between the bridges

Lol, apart from the fact tis fred should be in the History section, tis great to see no wan bites at little auld moi's freds, rent free and laughing...

AhNowStop

Lol, apart from the fact tis fred should be in the History section, tis great to see no wan bites at little auld moi's freds, rent free and laughing...
well it only took 4 minutes for you to bite you cretin :roll: lmfao ...

So where were they eh .. hiding inside the lambeg ?

btw - for the mentally challenged, this is in the NI section because of its relevance to the one & only VC recipient from NI and the subsequent conversation dealing with the lack of uptake & performance in WW2 by the unionist population of NI, especially the Orange Order :?

cozzy121

Where were all the brave Orange Men & unionists hiding and how the feck were they able to get away with it ?

`Neutral' Ireland won 7 WW2 VCs
NIs only recipient was a taig ...
All 8 Irish 2nd World War VC holders | Green Tiger Group

I await the expected stupid flippant responses form the usual suspects in a pathetic attempt to deflect from the pathetic performance of their crackpot forefathers :roll:
On any other day would you be cursing the non unionists for fighting for the occupation forces or swearing an oath to the crown?

Or would we look at things logically and from a purely socio economic point a view, not many Catholics would have found employment in the "war" industries (Shorts, H&M) in the north so that would have explained the numbers of such, joining the British Army, and with that the more likelihood to doing something mad and brave and getting a thank you from king bertie..

belfast1981

Baiting aside, there are some very worthy recipients of the VC from Ireland, what's shocking is Brendan Finucane is not one of them.

His Father fought in the 1916 Easter rising for Ireland, and from a very Republican background Finucane went on to become one of the greatest Spitfire pilots in the war. He holds the 2nd highest tally of downed enemy aircraft.

To answer the OP. Many brave men from all sides of the community, protestant, catholic & other went to war both from NI and Ireland. To suggest just because someone didn't win a VC they were 'hiding' is nothing but either ignorance or deliberate attempt to troll. I think a touch of both.

Thousands of Orange men fought and died during WWII along with their Irish brothers. I think you may already know this.

between the bridges

Baiting aside, there are some very worthy recipients of the VC from Ireland, what's shocking is Brendan Finucane is not one of them.

His Father fought in the 1916 Easter rising for Ireland, and from a very Republican background Finucane went on to become one of the greatest Spitfire pilots in the war. He holds the 2nd highest tally of downed enemy aircraft.

To answer the OP. Many brave men from all sides of the community, protestant, catholic & other went to war both from NI and Ireland. To suggest just because someone didn't win a VC they were 'hiding' is nothing but either ignorance or deliberate attempt to troll. I think a touch of both.

Thousands of Orange men fought and died during WWII along with their Irish brothers. I think you may already know this.
Word, shameless trolling OP's should lead to fred starting ban's...

AhNowStop

On any other day would you be cursing the non unionists for fighting for the occupation forces or swearing an oath to the crown?
Im afraid you've got that 100% wrong ... In case you were unaware, there is a big difference, re Irish Nationalism, between the the WW1 & especially the WW2 BA and the other manifestations of it.. I have no issues with WW1 & WW2 participants, and I suspect this would be the case for most/all nationalists..

Or would we look at things logically and from a purely socio economic point a view, not many Catholics would have found employment in the "war" industries (Shorts, H&M) in the north so that would have explained the numbers of such, joining the British Army, and with that the more likelihood to doing something mad and brave and getting a thank you from king bertie..
good grief :roll: ...Not much of an explanation for ZERO VCs from NI unionists compared to 7 from the south, the only NI VC being a catholic....
you explanation may have been a little more acceptable had it been close .. its wasnt !

So why do "you" really think that NI was so poorly reflected in both attendance in WW2 and in VCs acquired (apart from the sole taigs VC) , compared to the south for example ?

Last edited:

AhNowStop

Word, shameless trolling OP's should lead to fred starting ban's...
lol you should have a perma ban if thats the case :roll:

btw, genuine question, why do you think your OO forefathers were were so reluctant to put their lives on the line for the British Crown :?

between the bridges

Ahnowslobberings has mentioned the religion of the NI VC winner a number of times now, but has somehow failed to mention the religion of the ROI VC winners wan wonders why? from its own link...

Ervine-Andrews attempted to return home to his native County Cavan after the war, but was driven out by local members of the IRA and later settled in Cornwall.
He later achieved the rank of lieutenant colonel. The last Irish VC to die on 30 March 1995, aged 83. His memorial is at Stonyhurst College, Clitheroe, Lancashire. His VC is held at Blackburn Museum.

between the bridges

Tbf credit were tis due, wan has to say that Sf/Ra supporters eulogising members of the BA makes a pleasant change from them naming branches after a Nazi collaborator......

GDPR

If I had been a CNR at the time with the same personality that I have now pound to a penny I would have wanted the Third Reich to win- a moment's thought would show that to be an extremely natural reaction. This in itself shows "between the bridges" stupidity around bringing up the whole subject. The OP is mildly trolling I suspect (as in posting stuff to wind people up) but it is still never the less interesting information.

michael-mcivor

lol you should have a perma ban if thats the case :roll:

btw, genuine question, why do you think your OO forefathers were were so reluctant to put their lives on the line for the British Crown :?
to be fair the Orange-Men were out in force at the retreat at Dunkirk- they just lost heart after that and they were lucky that the GIs and Russians forced the Nazis into retreat and oblivion-

flavirostris

How many Iron Crosses for NI vs ROI. That's the one I'd like to see the stats for.

former wesleyan

" Ervine-Andrews attempted to return home to his native County Cavan after the war, but was driven out by local members of the IRA and later settled in Cornwall. He later achieved the rank of lieutenant colonel."

AhNowStop

Tbf credit were tis due, wan has to say that Sf/Ra supporters eulogising members of the BA makes a pleasant change from them naming branches after a Nazi collaborator......
Paddy the Pigeon from NI won the Dickins Medal .... were there any medals given to OO members aul han ... and just so ye know, ye cant count "D1ckhead" medals, of which no doubt youse have thousands :lol:

AhNowStop

" Ervine-Andrews attempted to return home to his native County Cavan after the war, but was driven out by local members of the IRA and later settled in Cornwall. He later achieved the rank of lieutenant colonel."
thats awful but what exactly has that got to do with the OP and the fact that unionism in NI lacked in support of the war effort ?

do try and stick to the point..

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 45466

Irish VCs won is 195, second after the English lads (600+)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Victoria_Cross_recipients_by_nationality

I wonder if any of the 600+ English recipients were Irish born? Not having a go at Tommy, but some of those English foot regiments had lots of Micks enlisted. Some of them even had Irish nicknames. If memory serves, the Glos regiment was nick named the Kinegad Slashers?

Anyone remember that movie Zulu? Whilst portrayed as a mostly taff battalion, I think in reality it was composed mostly of Irish lads?

This recipient's life story is really sad:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinand_Schiess

Such a brave man.

New Threads

Most Replies