VECs to be restructured - reducing number of them from 33 to 16

cricket

Whatever about VEC schools , I'd be hard pressed if asked to say what VEC committees do beside hold meetings.

florin

Its the only county in Ireland without a city that is being maintained. Shocking.
Particularly odd is that Kildare has a bigger population than Donegal, yet it's being merged with Kilkenny AND Carlow. And Meath has a bigger population than Donegal too, but it's being stuck in with Louth.

A more important question is, why do we need 16 VECs? Wouldn't 1 big VEC do the same job with much greater efficiency?

B

birthday

From the Indo article
''Waterford has two Vocational Education Committees, each with its own headquarters and staff.

With total administrative pay costs of €1.6m, these bureaucratic behemoths help in the administration of just five schools between them''.

Next step will be the long awaited amalgamation of the Corporation and County council.

It also states that the CEOs are paid salaries ranging from €97,000 to €141,000 plus an additional €13,000 plus expenses. How can we afford to borrow for such waste?

Perhaps more telling:

''A spokesman for the Department of Education said it does not have a breakdown of the number of administrative staff in VECs.''

It seems that we should have maybe perhpas four of these.
If the staff can be re-deployed as home carers for the elderly or other socially useful work perhaps some could be retained otherwise we cannot afford to borrow for such waste and there is just one alternative. P45.

Fides

Particularly odd is that Kildare has a bigger population than Donegal, yet it's being merged with Kilkenny AND Carlow. And Meath has a bigger population than Donegal too, but it's being stuck in with Louth.

A more important question is, why do we need 16 VECs? Wouldn't 1 big VEC do the same job with much greater efficiency?
You might want to ask the HSE that one!

patslatt

2 or 3 would be enough

Plans just announced by the Department of Education and Skills will see the number of VECs (Vocational Education Committees) reduced from 33 to 16.

The new VECs will be merged into the new following regions:

• Co. Dublin and Dun Laoghaire
  • City of Dublin
  • City of Galway and Co. Galway
  • City of Cork
  • Co. Cork
  • City of Limerick, Co. Limerick and Co. Kerry
  • City of Waterford, Co. Waterford and Tipperary South Riding
  • Donegal
  • Wexford and Wicklow
  • Carlow, Kilkenny and Kildare
  • Laois, Offaly and Westmeath
  • Louth and Meath
  • Cavan and Monaghan
  • Mayo and Sligo
  • Leitrim, Roscommon and Longford
  • Clare and Tipperary North Riding

An Tanaiste Mary Coughlan TD, Minister for Education and Skills.

The Irish Vocational Education Association said earlier that the plans were "regrettable" calling the decision a "bad day for local democracy" but that they had "reluctantly accepted" them.

patslatt

why couldn't the VEC schools be independent and report to the Dept of Education?

They are vocational educational committees and across Ireland there are a number of VEC run schools who provide second and third level educational programmes. Night courses, community education courses, back to education initiatives, adult education and literacy also come under the VEC umbrella. VEC run schools are public funded and are non-denominational, as far as I can remember.

anewbeginning

I wonder will they get rid of all the Fianna Fail friends in the VECs as well?

Just another jobs for the boys outfit.

davidcameron

Why are the North and South Ridings of Tipperary being merged with Clare and Waterford respectively? Why not have one VEC for all of Tipperary?

Morte

It avoids the scenario of merging Clare/Limerick City and Waterford City/Kilkenny. That would be a step towards acknowledging that it makes sense for cities to oversee their suburbs.

bored and fussy

I agree with the reduction/merger of VECs but I really want to know about Donegal been left untouched, maybe there is a reason that is not apparent at first light, but lets hear it.
I also hope it will not be like the HSE and keep all the workers in place, i am sure Social Welfare could do with some extra help.

As for the politicians on the these committees they come from all parties as far as I know and there is practicaly fist fights between them to get a position or two.

I seem to recall some incident in Cork recently, I wonder how did that one pan out.

karlachameleon

Is there some reason being offered in justifacition for Donegal not being merged with say Leitrim? Or is it just coincidence that the minister is from donegal?
To be honest I don't think it makes much difference. If Donegal was merged with Leitrim, it would still leave Roscommon and Longford as a merged VEC. There are only 3 second level schools in Roscommon under the VEC and 4 in Longford (5 in Leitrim) which would still leave the combination smaller than some of the existing VECs. Granted there are other schemes: Youthreach, Back to Education, Adult Literacy, Night Classes, and Castlerea Prison is under the VEC but all the other VECs have these services too with the exception of the prison in most cases.

You could possibly argue that it could have been Mayo/Sligo/Roscommon, Donegal/Leitrim and Cavan/Monaghan/Longford and reduced it to 15 overall by not creating the Roscommon/Leitrim/Longford combination.

SKELLY

After they carve up FAS expect to see the vec's take a massive lump of the work. I suspect this is the reason they are doing this.

locke

Surprise ,Surprise, Donegal remains one. Home of Education Minister, Calamity Coughlan. It could have been merged with Sligo, or Leitrim. Pork barrel politcs at work.
Of that list, City of Cork is the smallest.

However, merging it with Cork County would probably have made it too big, while merging with the areas just around Cork City would have left a VEC spread over 2 local authorities.

G

Gimpanzee

I wonder will they get rid of all the Fianna Fail friends in the VECs as well?

Just another jobs for the boys outfit.
You mean like Joe McDonagh, CEO of the Co. Galway VEC who was belting out the West's Awake with Biffo at le Drink-In?

Dman

THe Donegal decision is so annoying - the Minister should be taken to task for political interference/infleunce on that one !!

The VEC themselves go good work but there is a case for amalgamation for savings

Terminal

This development is a good first step. Would love to see merger of Co. Councils next.

It was suggested in the 1990s that about 6 Regional Education Authorities be formed ... however vested interests shot it down .... now would have been a good time to revisit that concept.

Suggestion: - Merge county councils into say six or seven Regional Councils with additional remit for all education including primary schools thereby cutting costs bringing all schools under state control ... probably too much of an ask though!!

THe Donegal decision is so annoying - the Minister should be taken to task for political interference/infleunce on that one !!

The VEC themselves go good work but there is a case for amalgamation for savings
To be fair to Donegal they have fifteen second level schools under their control.
Donegal VEC - Schools/Colleges - Second Level Education

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom