"Venice is finished" - Overtourism coming our way?

sic transit

Venice is finished according to Jill Kirby on MI. With a declining population and visitors of 28m per year the city is in a huge crisis.

Barcelona too is being overrun by tourists and the scourge of AirBnb is changing the fabric of the city.
https://skift.com/2017/08/17/barcelona-is-trying-to-come-to-terms-with-its-overtourism-problem/

So what of our own visitors? Granted we are not at the same level of other places but the imbalance of the east coast, notably Dublin, versus the rest is well-documented.

https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/11-million-visitors-to-killarney-but-new-report-also-sees-tourism-threats-36593216.html

Are we running the risk of the type of overtourism already evident in other European cities?

Last edited:

Catalpast

Venice is finished according to Jill Kirby on MI. With a declining population and visitors of 28m per year the city is in a huge crisis.

Barcelona too is being overrun by tourists and the scourge of AirBnb is changing the fabric of the city.
https://skift.com/2017/08/17/barcelona-is-trying-to-come-to-terms-with-its-overtourism-problem/

So what of our own visitors? Granted we are not at the same level of other places but the imbalance of the east coast, notably Dublin, versus the rest is well-documented.

https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/11-million-visitors-to-killarney-but-new-report-also-sees-tourism-threats-36593216.html

Are we running the risk of the type of overtourism already evident in other European cities?
City Centre is heading the same way....:|

If you want to visit Venice go in mid winter when its a lot less manic

-and the locals will be glad to see you....:cool:

Niall996

The emerging Chinese and India tourist masses are barely the tip of the ice berg of what's to come. Get used to not being able to move in European city centres.

sic transit

GDPR

Not connecting the dots are we today? Keyword here is overtourism -Venice being an example!
LOL. Dublin will never have the exposure of Venice to mass tourism. The fact is - it isnt Venice. Its not even Lisbon.

valamhic

I'd be worried about Drumahair.

gatsbygirl20

"Sailin' around in a dirty gondola,
Oh, to be back in the land of Coca Cola"-- as Dylan wrote.

I would want to see Venice in the wintertime, when it looks eerie and shadowy, like in my favourite film Don't Look Now.

When I first visited Florence one summer in the 1970s there was only one other tourist on the Ponte Vecchio

The trouble with objecting to mass tourism is that it is just elitist cribbing about other people visiting the places I like to visit. I of course want to reserve such splendours for myself.

Fifty years ago, working class people in the main did not visit Rome or Paris. Now, thanks to cheap flights and cheap hotels, everyone can.

That should be good news, but like mass education and mass use of the Internet, it creates a few unforeseen problems

gatsbygirl20

I'd be worried about Drumahair.
With good reason. This beautiful village is in danger of being over-run by the stag and hen party overflow from Carrick-on-Shannon

Stag and hen parties from Dublin are ruining Carrick.

GDPR

With good reason. This beautiful village is in danger of being over-run by the stag and hen party overflow from Carrick-on-Shannon

Stag and hen parties from Dublin are ruining Carrick.

Right so, the working classes are welcome to Florence, Rome and Venice, but not Carrick....

Do you ever listen to yourself?

brughahaha

It's baffling.

What has the city center got to offer?

Maybe we could make Temple bar a new Amsterdam.

Everyone I know is raging about Amsterdam.
Its walkable , compact with some nice architecture , some good galleries , decent restaurants and the attraction of a pint in a pub and people are friendly , noticeably so. For the young(er than me) folk there are decent clubs and music venues and a great atmosphere in town at the weekend
Day trips to Glendalough or Kilkenny are easy and its worth a few days as either as a weekend away or topped off with a week in the west...

We have a good Tourism Product ...Problems , Yep lots, but its still a very human attractive city (Town)

Karloff

Dublin's a kip, why would anybody want to come here?
Venice ain't that beautiful in the obvious sense either (and whole streets have a facade that would remind you of a condemned site), but it is romantic, unique, mysterious and steeped in history.

28 million tourists is too many. Venice without Venetians is like Hamlet without the prince.

gatsbygirl20

Right so, the working classes are welcome to Florence, Rome and Venice, but not Carrick....

Do you ever listen to yourself?
A while in Carrick, especially on a Saturday night would do you the world of good.

You'd be squealing home to Nordieland before you could say '"another bottle of vodka and I"ll vomit"

There is no evidence that these are all "working class"

They are just young wans so uber-p1ssed that they have turned the town into a violent pissoir with vomit and faeces in people' s front gardens and broken-bottle fights to terrify the locals.

I don't blame the Venetian for trying to preserve their city, but if they lived in Carrick they'd see that it's all relative.

GDPR

A while in Carrick, especially on a Saturday night would do you the world of good.

You'd be squealing home to Nordieland before you could say '"another bottle of vodka and I"ll vomit"

There is no evidence that these are all "working class"

They are just young wans so uber-p1ssed that they have turned the town into a violent pissoir with vomit and faeces in people' s front gardens and broken-bottle fights to terrify the locals.

I don't blame the Venetian for trying to preserve their city, but if they lived in Carrick they'd see that it's all relative.
Oh calm down.

Thats Ireland and Britain for you - young people wandering round pissed in the streets.

Nothing you can do about that.

New Threads

Most Replies