• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Very poor example by Rory McIlroy

Disillusioned democrat

Not sure how I feel about Rory McIlroy at the best of times, but happy at least that he's stopped hiding behind the Zika virus at last and come out and admit it's 'cos there's no money to be had at the Olympics.

I generally believe "professionalism" has ruined sports, with a few exceptions - nice, for example to see professional footballers really excited to represent their countries in the Euros over the past month, but McIlroy would certainly not make me excited about taking up golf - his statement that the Olymics doesn't matter seems very negative about the whole idea of sport and it's importance in peoples' lives.

Rory McIlroy: I will not watch Olympic golf because it does not matter

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
Not sure how I feel about Rory McIlroy at the best of times, but happy at least that he's stopped hiding behind the Zika virus at last and come out and admit it's 'cos there's no money to be had at the Olympics.

I generally believe "professionalism" has ruined sports, with a few exceptions - nice, for example to see professional footballers really excited to represent their countries in the Euros over the past month, but McIlroy would certainly not make me excited about taking up golf - his statement that the Olymics doesn't matter seems very negative about the whole idea of sport and it's importance in peoples' lives.

I don't understand what you are saying here.

Surely it is true that from the golf point of view the Olympics doesn't matter. The Olympics isn't the highest level at which the sport is played. The same goes for a number of other sports, soccer/football being an obvious example.

If I can guess at the point you're trying to make I'd venture it's that the Olympics should represent the highest level at which each sport is played. Am I right?

If I am right then I think that many sports should be excluded from the Olympics - sports like tennis and golf especially - on the basis that including them is a form of tokenism. Either that or accept that the Olympic version of the sport isn't the highest level at which the sport is played, and limit the Olympic competition in some way - again taking the soccer/football example, the Olympic men's version is based on Under-23 squads (but can include 3 older players).

I think that's the way to go - the Olympic competition is something less than FIFA's World Cup.

As for your point about "the whole idea of sport and it's importance in peoples' lives" what are you saying? Golf fans haven't cared less in the past if golf is included in the Olympics or not. They get their fix from the highest level of the sport as it is played in the various golf tours. What is this alleged "whole idea of sport"? Is it that every sport has to appear at the Olympics? I don't see why that should be so.

Last edited:

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
rich arsehole from a golfing background is a bit of a w@nker shocker
How is he a ************************er?

Is it because he doesn't want to participate in an artificial form of his sport - an artificial form that has been devised just so that golf can be advertised as an Olympic sport on a token basis?

The Olympics organisations will make their money from the token golf competition, but the golfers won't see a penny of it.

PBP voter

Shane Lowry doesnt want to play either.

But lets pick on Rory.

PBP voter

Prester Jim

They shouldn't have been invited to the Olympics anyway.
It does seem a somewhat unnecessarily undiplomatic thing for McIlroy to say, true of course but a bit of a kick in the goolies all the same.
That'll teach the Olympics not to be too inclusive in future.

Gurdiev77

shouldnt be an olympic sport anyway .

DT123

Rory never wanted anything to do with the Olympics. Walking around with a Tricolour was always going to be a burden to him. Representing a foreign country is not something people aspire to.

The Olympics should have went for amateur golf had they wanted it to be taken seriously.

Roberto Jordan

They shouldn't have been invited to the Olympics anyway.
It does seem a somewhat unnecessarily undiplomatic thing for McIlroy to say, true of course but a bit of a kick in the goolies all the same.
That'll teach the Olympics not to be too inclusive in future.
leaving aside his nationality ( he's clearly more kyle lafferty than james mclean or even Niall Mcginn) or the difference between bred & creed golfers ( majors are what counts) vs. casual sports fans ( for whom a gold and tricolor going up mast seems to have obvious attractions) surely the wider lesson here is , as with every individual sport, those who follow participants based on nationality are making gross assumptions regarding motivation & patriotism in search of reflected glory.

At least with a team field sport event there is "a shirt" that exists independent of the wearer. While the individual might be ( and always is to some extent) in it for themselves, the team is what is says on the tin. Not the case with much except ball games.

That RTE annointed latter day saint Sonia O'sullivan ( the Australian athlete) pretty much confirmed as much with her comments on mcIlroy.......

Finally on DD's original OP....yes money does ruin every sport. to the extent that I am not sure sport in its truest sense can really exist professionally ( and i dont just mean playing by the rules corinthian spirit stuff)

purpledon

Now that so many top golfers have pulled out perhaps the Olympic council will drop it for good.

It's not the pinnacle of their careers. Same goes for footballer, (though football has been involved since the beginning), tennis and allowing pro boxers against amateurs is nonsense.

I won't be spending too much time watching the Olympics. It's just a drug fest nowadays.

Prester Jim

leaving aside his nationality ( he's clearly more kyle lafferty than james mclean or even Niall Mcginn) or the difference between bred & creed golfers ( majors are what counts) vs. casual sports fans ( for whom a gold and tricolor going up mast seems to have obvious attractions) surely the wider lesson here is , as with every individual sport, those who follow participants based on nationality are making gross assumptions regarding motivation & patriotism in search of reflected glory.

At least with a team field sport event there is "a shirt" that exists independent of the wearer. While the individual might be ( and always is to some extent) in it for themselves, the team is what is says on the tin. Not the case with much except ball games.

Finally on DD's original OP....yes money does ruin every sport. to the extent that I am not sure sport in its truest sense can really exist professionally ( and i dont just mean playing by the rules corinthian spirit stuff)
They are top professionals and the Ryder cup is the outlet for any nationalistic or patriotic feeling, Golf is not athletic enough to truly be an olympic sport and the pros make too much money to care about the gold medals anyway, the lack of a tradition there means there is not draw for the top stars at all.

purpledon

How is he a ************************er?

Is it because he doesn't want to participate in an artificial form of his sport - an artificial form that has been devised just so that golf can be advertised as an Olympic sport on a token basis?

The Olympics organisations will make their money from the token golf competition, but the golfers won't see a penny of it.
Ah, when do the completing athletes make money from the Olympics. Why would golfers be any different.

Ireniall

The last time I heard anything like this was when Tony Cascarino revealed that the little Cork bo**ix Roy Keane hadn't bothered to watch an Irish play-off against Iran some decades back so if McIlroy finds his swing going wrong and can't make it on the course anymore sure there will surely be some big job for him in the Irish golfing union somewhere.

Bea C

I don't understand what you are saying here.

Surely it is true that from the golf point of view the Olympics doesn't matter. The Olympics isn't the highest level at which the sport is played. The same goes for a number of other sports, soccer/football being an obvious example.

If I can guess at the point you're trying to make I'd venture it's that the Olympics should represent the highest level at which each sport is played. Am I right?

If I am right then I think that many sports should be excluded from the Olympics - sports like tennis and golf especially - on the basis that including them is a form of tokenism. Either that or accept that the Olympic version of the sport isn't the highest level at which the sport is played, and limit the Olympic competition in some way - again taking the soccer/football example, the Olympic men's version is based on Under-23 squads (but can include 3 older players).

I think that's the way to go - the Olympic competition is something less than FIFA's World Cup.

As for your point about "the whole idea of sport and it's importance in peoples' lives" what are you saying? Golf fans haven't cared less in the past if golf is included in the Olympics or not. They get their fix from the highest level of the sport as it is played in the various golf tours. What is this alleged "whole idea of sport"? Is it that every sport has to appear at the Olympics? I don't see why that should be so.
What do you call that sports journalist, Walsh, is it? From the Sunday Times, he covered the whole Lance Armstrong thing. He was talking on Morning Ireland this morning, mainly about the Tour de France, but also he referred to how the golf lads were pleading for years for the sport to be recognised at Olympic level?

wombat

Sometime in the 80's I was trying to watch the heats of the 1500m on Canadian TV, no luck as there were a couple of synchronised swimmers competing for Canada at the same time - I lost interest in the Olympics thereafter. I may watch some of the boxing and distance running.

cut the begs

after his support for the n.ireland team,wearing a poppy,playing for eire wouldnt go down well would it.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies