Vexacious Cultural Appropriation!

wombat

Kildare Village is a monument to a sacred cow - conspicious consumption, and the instructed assumption that if your item of clothing has a particular name on it, that you are the worthy source of much envy.
Rather well put.

effer

They invented this:

bad for the ticker but folks its delicious:

[video=youtube;aVsgO5h_xhk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVsgO5h_xhk[/video]
Are they really delicious? I've seen them in a Chinese restaurant and just by the look of them I couldn't bring myself to try them. To me dumplings look like some kind of embryonic life form.

tsarbomb

And whispers.
And toilet paper.

"The first recorded use of toilet paper appears to have occurred in China around A.D. 851. After that, nothing much was written about the practice until the 14th century rolled around. During the Ming dynasty (1368-1644) special sheets of toilet tissue were fashioned for the imperial court. They were made of soft fabric that was cut into squares two by three feet in size."

EVER WONDERED about the history of toilet paper?

Mitsui2

To me dumplings look like some kind of embryonic life form.
Hmmm...

Must admit I never thought of them like that before but, now that you mention it, looking at the photograph I sort of see what you mean.

Does anyone know the Constitutional position on dim sum?

McTell

Twitter
No
Kildare Village is a monument to a sacred cow - conspicious consumption, and the instructed assumption that if your item of clothing has a particular name on it, that you are the worthy source of much envy. //

Eh...is this the year of the Sacred Cow ?

Yeh but it's a natural part of our emergence from the mud and slime. Everything clean and shiny to a fault. Covered in someone else's name, just to show that we don't trust our own taste. A part of our national story.

OOps its the year of the dog..... "Most conservative", maybe the wrong year to repeal the 8th. Or maybe it'll be the right year to prove the chinese wrong.

https://www.karmaweather.com/dog-2018-chinese-horoscope/

According to the Chinese horoscope of the Dog, the 11th sign of the Chinese zodiac is sympathetic and intelligent. A person born in the Year of the Dog has a binary approach to life and his relationships with others. If you benefit from his friendship or his love, a Dog will never disappoint you.
Clearly preferring the countryside to the city, the Dog is not a great traveler like the Horse, and he prefers above all to take care of his home. Honest, faithful and jealous, the Dog is also irascible in nature whenever he lets himself be won over by anguish and pessimism, or when his habits are upset. Not loving solitude, seeking safety above all, the Dog is the most conservative and traditionalist of all the signs of the Chinese zodiac. In the professional world, the Dog is often a lawyer, judge, police officer, teacher, educator, priest, doctor, trade unionist, leftwing politician, secret agent, philosopher, critic or writer.

GDPR

Hmmm...

Must admit I never thought of them like that before but, now that you mention it, looking at the photograph I sort of see what you mean.

Does anyone know the Constitutional position on dim sum?
Raw, cooked, unprepared, or prepared, or existing in some legal condition where it is both/all/some?

Finbar10

The entertainers might all be white. However, I'd say a fair proportion of shoppers to Kildare Village would be Chinese (particularly the high spending ones anyway). The Chinese are obsessed with Western brands, which sell for ridiculous prices back home. They are getting the same brands for far less here (believe it or not). This Chinese New Celebration is a bit shameless I guess, but does make business sense! :)

Mitsui2

Raw, cooked, unprepared, or prepared, or existing in some legal condition where it is both/all/some?
Why, all of the above depending on usefulness as a straw man (or maybe straw mushroom) of course.

Unless you're Telstar, of course, in which case a picture of the menu will suffice.

stopdoingstuff

Those Chinese are a great burden on Irish society. Every time I meet one of them, they are always going on about how great their traditional culture of Karate and Ninjas is. It's like I said the last time I was in Saigon: You Chinks just have no awareness of other cultures.

milipod

Those Chinese are a great burden on Irish society. Every time I meet one of them, they are always going on about how great their traditional culture of Karate and Ninjas is. It's like I said the last time I was in Saigon: You Chinks just have no awareness of other cultures.
Duh ninjas are Japs.

stopdoingstuff

Duh ninjas are Japs.
That's nonsense. I was down at my local discount store the other day and the Chinese woman selling the plastic Ninja stars for 99 cents assured me that they were definitely made in China.

milipod

That's nonsense. I was down at my local discount store the other day and the Chinese woman selling the plastic Ninja stars for 99 cents assured me that they were definitely made in China.
[video=youtube;u4Xo3sWd294]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Xo3sWd294[/video]

Deadlock

Duh ninjas are Japs.
So is karate. SDS do be taking the chop suey....
From the sewers of Noo Yawk? Raphael was the best.
See! Cultural appropriation all over the place!

Down with this kind of thing! Why won't sense and sanity prevail?

On a side note - I would like volunteer headcounters convenient to the Ilac Centre and Stephens Green Centre in Dublin and Mahon Point in Cork to please make themselves known and see what can be scheduled.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies