VHI to cut payments to private hospitals

spidermom

VHI to cut payments to private hospitals

Not sure what I make of this one really!
Cannot see how the Vhi or any health provider should decide that someone's treatment is not warranted. A monthly cap on funds irrsepective of patients treated. No wonder the Hospitals are pi**ed off..

NOT a fan of Private Hospitals as you know because of their cherry picking.
But as far as spending money and charging, they are VERY good at that. A relative had a procedure there recently and used a pressure band post the procedure that I had never seen before. Asked the nurse about them...80 euro each..and she had popped on 2 ..just in case!!

spidermom

Looks like the Vhi will put the final nail in the co-located hospitals coffin as well..
Irish Medical News | VHI.
Just as well too!!

nakatomi

I doubt anyone will get "burnt" , this is Ireland - " bailed out" is mor appropriate.

powderfinger

Looks like the Vhi will put the final nail in the co-located hospitals coffin as well..
Irish Medical News | VHI.
Just as well too!!
From the IMN article.
BMG had believed that Health Minister Mary Harney would compel VHI, as a semi-state body, to change its stance, but so far, the health insurer has maintained its opposition to the projects.
What gave UPMC Beacon reason to believe that the Health minister would intervene with VHI on their behalf?

The VHI are right to adopt a prudential approach.Their primary concern has to be for their members and not the future growth projections of a debt burdened private hospital.
I see that St.Vincent's Private have accepted the VHI's position.

spidermom

From the IMN article.
What gave UPMC Beacon reason to believe that the Health minister would intervene with VHI on their behalf?

The VHI are right to adopt a prudential approach.Their primary concern has to be for their members and not the future growth projections of a debt burdened private hospital.
I see that St.Vincent's Private have accepted the VHI's position.
Indeed....why did the Beacon think that?...lol

Interesting thing about SVH private is it was amalgamated into the Vincents group of hospitals recently...
Unsure of how the group is funded through the HSE..or how services are shared...but it is an interesting developement!

G

Gimpanzee

There is talk of this resulting in the closure of the A&E units in some. Bad news.

corporal punishment

Our little lunatic got bit in the face by the local hound of the baskervilles during the summer. Brought her up to the CUH and we were in and out in under an hour. Back for surgery two days later and she was good as new a month later. Very impressed with the level of care.

hammer

Amazing. Goverment policy was private hospitals & co-location.

Investors invest get tax breaks and put their money where there mouth is. Then the Government cut their necks off :(

Do not get involved in any business that involves HSE. Nursing homes, creche provision, pharmacy etc.........

Fianna FAIL will destroy you just when you have huge debts :(

V H I pay far too much money to public hospitals.Private Day Case in public hospital is €434 Public Day Case in public hospital is €75

hammer

VHI actually paid the HSE in advance this year I believe. Some hospitals believe it or not were struggling with their finances.

The sooner they get rid of that €185 health levy per adult the better.

Competitiveness my backside :(

SCANDALOUS.

spidermom

VHI actually paid the HSE in advance this year I believe. Some hospitals believe it or not were struggling with their finances.

The sooner they get rid of that €185 health levy per adult the better.

Competitiveness my backside :(

SCANDALOUS.
They paid cos it was monies owed due to the slowness of public hospitals to recoup on private patients!(mainly due to the consultants not signing off on paperwork!!...sigh!!).
However more bad news for VHI et al...and for their customers......
Private and semi-private charges to rise by 21% - The Irish Times - Fri, Dec 03, 2010

powderfinger

Amazing. Goverment policy was private hospitals & co-location. Investors invest get tax breaks and put their money where there mouth is. Then the Government cut their necks off :(

Do not get involved in any business that involves HSE. Nursing homes, creche provision, pharmacy etc.........

Fianna FAIL will destroy you just when you have huge debts :(
And many investors believed that they were onto a FF/Ahern/Harney sure thing at the time ,to be sure to be sure.
The trouble is that when the wheel of credit stopped turning in 2008, this punt was in the CCU.As for the growth projections* which underpinned the investment..

*Bertienomics 101 (as sung by Lynn Anderson)
Yizzer pays yizzer money yizzer takes yizzer choice :)

YouTube - Lynn Anderson -- Rose Garden

Last edited:

Baron von Biffo

powderfinger

*bump*

BMG Chief Executive Michael Cullen appeared on the RTE News at One to complain about the stance that VHI are taking regarding coverage guarantees for co-located hospitals.

VHI refuses to cover new hospitals - The Irish Times - Mon, Feb 14, 2011

The decision by the VHI not to include co-located hospitals under its insurance plans has been criticised by the chief executive of the Beacon Medical Group.
The co-location project, introduced by former Minister for Health Mary Harney in 2005, aims to free up beds in public hospitals by moving private patients out of public beds and into new on-site private hospitals.
The project has had difficulty getting funding from banks, partly because of the VHI’s refusal to cover hospitals, according to Beacon Medical Group chief executive Michael Cullen who says the project would create 3500 new jobs and provide 700 extra hospital beds.
VHI Healthcare said it believes there is sufficient private capacity in Ireland and that it is unable to fund any additional private beds.
In a statement today, the healthcare provider said it was not a party to the original co-located contracts and had not had sight of their contents.
The nature of any private hospital development does and must involve risk taking, a spokeswoman said, adding Beacon Medical Group is “asking VHI to guarantee the future economic viability of its proposed co-located hospitals and we are not in the business of providing such guarantees for any for profit private hospital provider".

spidermom

thanks for the bump.Interesting to hear that the beacon may consider their legal options if the VHI continue their stance...Nice easy one for Reilly to deal with.....lol..:)

fizzgig

Vhi would be better employed negotiating with public hospitals on charges. I was visiting someone recently and the hospital had left VHI form to sign which included costs of room. I was shocked by the amounts.
Private Room €1071 per day
Semi Private € 889 per day
Day Room € 732 per day
Another thing I noticed is that though the person was in a ward with one other person and room for a third, the hospital were billing VHI for a private room. As far as I can see, hospitals are charging VHI on the benefits you have on your insurance, not what you actually get.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies