• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Victim to sue Sunday Tribune

bradán feasa

I grant that posting the press statement was contrary to the rules of the site. However I should be allowed edit it and post the link. SF Challenge Sunday Tribune | Sinn Féin

I dont agree that a national newspaper which is being sued by an alleged sexual abuse victim for purposefully misrepresenting her is not important and worthy of discussion on its own merits.

From my own memory this a first and is quite a shocking turn of events. It is more important than many of the individual threads currently being discussed.

I also dont think that Politics.ie should seek to bury the actions of this victim in the 300th page of a different if related story.

Katayusha Mk2

Maírtín Óg Meehan in his blog states:

"our thanks must go to the time, energy and endeavours of great investigative journalism from Suzanne Breen of the Sunday Tribune."

Does that sound like somebody speaking on behalf of a family considering legal action? There is no mention of legal action on Maírtín's blog, indeed we have only the word of the shinner manipulators to go on in regard to that; hardly something to place much faith in if recent statements by Gerry Adams and Arthur Morgan are anything to go by.

Facetiously the shinner statement states:

“Child abuse is a very difficult issue that people across Ireland are trying to come to terms with and central to all of this is the protection of children."

Where was this spirit in Gerry Adams' handling of his brother Liam? Why did Adams not contact Clonard about his (known to him) paedophile brother working with children there? Why did he attempt to cover for himself by lying that he did warn Clonard who have no record of any such warning?

When has protection of children ever been 'central' to the motivations of Gerry Adams?
How a shinner could show their face at the moment is beyond me.

Christine Murray

Website
www.poethead.wordpress.com
Ok, so I will ask the question here :

DO SF support the holding of a Child Protection Referendum (delayed since 2006)?

If so: where In their policy docs would I find policy statements on Children's rights, provisions of SATUs, funding for RCCs
and info on dealing with reporting rapes? (the current health minister for instance did not provide adequate funding to
ensuring the Sligo SATU had paid forensic nurses for a period in the lasst years, thus depriving the SATUs of
weekend staff, necessitating rape victims being brought to the Rotunda centre in taxis)

I know some of the younger females in SF and thought to ask them BUT I think I'd like to know more on Policy areas at
the moment, cos one outstanding thing in the interviews was how little the statutory authorities in this area were used - going
by the interview I read.

Katayusha Mk2

While we are on the subject, would any of the shinners like to clarify why a woman who had had battered, malnourished and neglected children removed from her care by social services was deemed suitable for public office?
And don't try and act like the taking into care of a prisoner's children would go unnoticed or unquestioned in Republican circles.

Truth.ie

PSF want to go to back to the Fifties where we have no open discussion on child abuse.
The victim in question, can quite clearly be seen posing for photos in the Sunday Tribune. she volunteered to speak.
Her face was pixillated, to conceal her identity. Her name was withheld. Can't see what more the Tribune could've done.

Kerrygold

Ok, so I will ask the question here :

DO SF support the holding of a Child Protection Referendum (delayed since 2006)?

If so: where In their policy docs would I find policy statements on Children's rights, provisions of SATUs, funding for RCCs
and info on dealing with reporting rapes? (the current health minister for instance did not provide adequate funding to
ensuring the Sligo SATU had paid forensic nurses for a period in the lasst years, thus depriving the SATUs of
weekend staff, necessitating rape victims being brought to the Rotunda centre in taxis)

I know some of the younger females in SF and thought to ask them BUT I think I'd like to know more on Policy areas at
the moment, cos one outstanding thing in the interviews was how little the statutory authorities in this area were used - going
by the interview I read.
Statutory authorities? You mean like the RUC? I think you know why little use was made of them, particularly when you consider that they tried to recruit the mother of Aine Tyrell when she went to make the complaint.

As for the Childrens referendum; this is one statement I found very quickly: Sinn Féin establish Ard Chomhairle sub committee to campaign for a yes vote on the constitutional referendum on children's rights | Sinn Féin

Truth.ie

Statutory authorities? You mean like the RUC? I think you know why little use was made of them, particularly when you consider that they tried to recruit the mother of Aine Tyrell when she went to make the complaint.

As for the Childrens referendum; this is one statement I found very quickly: Sinn Féin establish Ard Chomhairle sub committee to campaign for a yes vote on the constitutional referendum on children's rights | Sinn Féin
The RUC/PSNI are corrupt to the core. The Adams family seemed to be protected species.
Another member of his family was seen by several people shoot a dissident Republican 10 times in the head. His name spread throughout Belfast as the killer and it was even mentioned on the net.
Ten years later, he has yet to be even arrested or questioned.
I certainly wouldn't expect justice from the RUC or PSNI, but I do expect Republicans to at least NOT promote suspected rapists through the ranks.
Liam Adams should've been kneecapped and exiled from the entire island, as would've happened to the humble guy in the street.

Katayusha Mk2

Yet Joe Cahill advised his niece to go to the hated RUC because he knew that nothing would be done by the shinners. Joe was around long enough and high enough up to know the way in which paedophiles and rapists were harboured and enabled.

Katayusha Mk2

Sunday Tribune statement in response to PSF

Sinn Fein has claimed that the Sunday Tribune, in its coverage of the sex abuse cover-up in the republican movement, is engaged in a campaign to smear the party and its president Gerry Adams. This is simply untrue. We would pursue any political party and its leader with equal vigour given the information we have unearthed.

In relation to last Sunday’s edition and Sinn Fein’s allegation of manipulation of one of two victims who spoke to our Northern Editor Suzanne Breen, we categorically stand by our story and our treatment of the abuse survivors involved.

It is being claimed by Sinn Fein and by one of the women, whose identity was not revealed in the Sunday Tribune, that Mr Adams did not know of the abuse she suffered as a child at the hands of a Sinn Fein elected representative. This is directly at odds with the information we were given and we have proof of this.

The Sunday Tribune was approached in the first instance by this victim’s brother who stated in writing that Gerry Adams had been personally informed about the allegations of sexual and physical abuse against an elected Sinn Fein member over two years ago.

Ms Breen subsequently interviewed the victim at length in the presence of her brother and a photographer. The claim that Gerry Adams knew of the abuse was repeatedly made by both the victim and her brother at this meeting which took place on Wednesday January 5 2010.

The victim offered to pose for photographs and photographs were taken in front of a wall mural.

In follow-up telephone conversations before the publication of the article in the Sunday Tribune, the story, as it would appear in the newspaper, including the allegations against Gerry Adams, was read to both the victim and her brother. They both agreed it was an honest and accurate account of the interview.

Last Saturday, January 16 2010, the victim, through the solicitors Madden and Finucane, claimed she had never given permission for the interview or allegations to be used. Although consent was freely given by the victim, the Sunday Tribune respected her decision to withdraw consent for her identity to be revealed and ran the story without identifying her.

The other abuse victim, the grand niece of Joe Cahill, has issued a statement to the Sunday Tribune confirming that she was not manipulated into giving an interview.

She said: “Sinn Fein has stated that Gerry Adams refutes the allegations I made. Gerry Adams first spoke to me about my case in August 2006. I had meetings with him at which I expressed my feelings on the way I was being treated until 2006. I eventually ended the interviews because they were going nowhere and I believed they were pointless.

“Sinn Fein has said it is considering suing the Sunday Tribune. If Sinn Fein is challenging the truth of my story, let them sue me. I thank the Sunday Tribune for interviewing me in a highly sensitive way – and for the support I received afterwards. To date, since my story was printed, no-one from Sinn Fein has contacted me to offer the same. I am also making a statement later today to the Rape Crisis Centre on this issue.”

http://sluggerotoole.com/index.php/weblog/comments/abuse-victim-accuses-the-sunday-tribune/

Last edited:

Cato

Liam Adams should've been kneecapped and exiled from the entire island, as would've happened to the humble guy in the street.
...or just reported to the relevant authorities, tried and, if found guilty, imprisoned. Why did you reach for the fascist solution to this problem?

The other abuse victim, the grand niece of Joe Cahill, has issued a statement to the Sunday Tribune confirming that she was not manipulated into giving an interview.

She said: “Sinn Fein has stated that Gerry Adams refutes the allegations I made. Gerry Adams first spoke to me about my case in August 2006. I had meetings with him at which I expressed my feelings on the way I was being treated until 2006. I eventually ended the interviews because they were going nowhere and I believed they were pointless.

“Sinn Fein has said it is considering suing the Sunday Tribune. If Sinn Fein is challenging the truth of my story, let them sue me.
Is she going to get the treatment the McCartney sisters got? Smeared for 'causing trouble'? Who the f*ck votes for such people?...

Cato

Katayusha Mk2

STATEMENT FROM RAPE CRISIS CENTRE RE- SINN FEIN RESPONSE TO THE SUNDAY TRIBUNE.

The Rape Crisis And Sexual Abuse Centre is making the statement following allegations that Suzanne Breen and the Sunday Tribune have manipulated victims of sexual abuse.

The Rape Crisis Centre has known Suzanne Breen for over twenty years and can vouch for her honesty sincerity and courage as an investigative reporter.

She has done tremendous work in allowing survivors of rape and sexual abuse to tell their stories and has exposed cover-ups by those in power. She has always been sensitive professional and caring in her dealings with victims.

We have no reason whatsoever to believe that either Suzanne or the Sunday Tribune has manipulated any survivor of abuse.

We have spoken with Ms Cahill, grand niece of Joe Cahill (who has requested that her first name does not be printed) She is an intelligent professional woman, and she has given us her absolute assurance that it was she who contacted Suzanne Breen to bring her abuse, and the failure of the Republican Movement to deal with it appropriately to public attention.

Ms Cahill has asked us to provide her statement below, to clarify the issue.

“Over the last number of weeks, I watched Aine Tyrell give a very brave and very moving account of the alleged abuse she suffered. I also watched a number of media interviews with members of Sinn Fein afterwards. I was horrified.

I thought long and hard about telling my story. It wasn’t an easy decision. I had every right to do so. I was most certainly not manipulated into giving any interview. I approached the Northern Editor, Suzanne Breen, of my own accord. I wanted other victims to know they were not on their own in cases like this, and I wanted them to know it is possible to recover. I know from the response that I received subsequently from other victims, that it was the right thing to do.

During the interview, Suzanne Breen helped me feel comfortable, spent considerable time with me, and respected and supported me. She acted in a truly ethical and moral fashion. The article printed was an accurate and truthful account of what happened me.

Sinn Fein has stated that Gerry Adams refutes the allegations I made. Gerry Adams first spoke to me about my case in August 2000. I had meetings with him at which I expressed my feelings on the way I was being treated until 2006. I have no interest in attacking Gerry Adams, I have been fond of him at times in my life, he was sympathetic at times. However, I stand by my assertion that my meetings with him were pointless, because there was no resolution

Unbeknownst to the IRA and Sinn Fein, I attended counselling during a good part of their investigation, which I arranged with a counsellor who I knew to be free from republican control. Thankfully that counsellor kept notes. Those notes authenticate my account. Medical records also verify parts of the story.

Sinn Fein has said it is considering suing the Sunday Tribune. If Sinn Fein is challenging the truth of my story, let them sue me. I thank the Sunday Tribune for interviewing me in a highly sensitive way – and for the support I received afterwards. To date, since my story was printed, no-one from Sinn Fein has contacted me to offer the same.

My surname is not important. It does not define me, but it does show that there was no hierarchy of victims. There seems to be however, a hierarchy when it came to perpetrators of abuse.”

Ms ******* Cahill.

The Rape Crisis Centre would also like to add that we have seen copies of documents held by The Sunday Tribune and can verify that no other victim of abuse was manipulated. It would appear to the Rape Crisis Centre that survivors of rape and abuse are being manipulated, as are most of the Northern Press however, Suzanne Breen and the Sunday Tribune are not the culprits.

Eileen Calder

So it's Sinn Féin versus the Rape Crisis Centre now? The version of Suzanne Breen's interest and professionalism when dealing with both the subject of and the victims of sexual violence as given by trained professionals against the version painted by people whose solution was to stick abuser and victim in a room and 'read the body language to see who's telling the truth'.

Keep digging lads...

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
Can you please not post press releases? Linking to them since they are already posted on slugger makes the most sense.

Given the title of this thread is it being suggested that SF are the victim here?

Katayusha Mk2

Given the title of this thread is it being suggested that SF are the victim here?
Haha good point, they definitely have been attempting to advance that fallback strategy. Indeed Áine Tyrell stated that Gerry Adams increasingly tried to portray his brother Liam, whom he says he believes is a paedophile, as the victim. How a grown man could be victim to a four year old after beating her mother to the point of fleeing for her own safety is beyond me.