Video from yesterday's Merrion Row protest

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Following on from the pictures I took yesterday from one end of Merrion Row, Cathal Furey was on the other end and took some great video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPnoAY1wXfI]YouTube - Merrion Row Clashes - Dublin November 3rd 2010 HD[/ame]

Especially weird is about where a guy is getting ready to starting boxing a horse.

Video with thanks to Cathal Furey.

Asparagus

I've no sound- is there any reason why the Gardai start beating the sitting protestors around 3:42?

I hope everyone of these future doctors, nurses, accountants, lawyers, engineers etc remember this in every election they every vote in.

johntrenchard

jaysus... what happened at 3:05 ? theres a student on the ground who looks as if he's been knocked out?

looks bad.

johntrenchard

Thats a great video, those police who violently attacked people protesting peacefully should be ashamed of themselves. The feeling I got from that video is that all those gardai are doing are radicalizing young people who otherwise would protest occasionally and leave it at that.
i havent watched the whole video yet (only up to 3:30 ish), but at the start with the horses you can clearly see objects being thrown at them.

johntrenchard

riot squad techniques around 3:40 onwards seem to be highly dangerous for the Gardai involved - all it would take would be some nutcase with a knife and you'd have a Gard seriously injured if not killed.

Don't they have tear gas? if they launched tear gas that would have cleared the street in no time and nobody would have been injured.

eoinod

That doesnt excuse hitting other people over the head with a baton who didnt do anything wrong.
Rioting, assaulting Gardaí, obstructing public freeways... not exactly doing nothing wrong.

Shameful behaviour from those involved. Completely derailed the protest.

Why are they treating the Gardaí as the enemy? They had to take cuts too. They are only doing their jobs and keeping louts from intimidating locals and bringing the city to a standstill.

It WAS a legitimate, peaceful protest but by the time that video was taken, it was fr from it. As a member of the USI, I'm quite disgusted to be associated with such hooliganism. Besides being completely wrong, it is also horribly counter productive. Anyone going to town and seeing the protest after its descent into scumbags hurling abuse and objects at Gardaí is not going to be supportive of our cause. And even this spineless government will not be seen to kow-tow to such behaviour.

Speedfreak

Looks to me like the Gardai were treating it as a training exercise.

Jesus, would it be beneath the government to have made this announcement for the sole purpose of creating such a 'training exercise'?

If so, those students have just increased the troubles and difficulties that will have to be surmounted by the real protestors trying to effect real change, when that time eventually comes around.

gijoe

That doesnt excuse hitting other people over the head with a baton who didnt do anything wrong.
They were refusing to obey an instruction from the Gardai to move, which you are obliged to do. Plus those doing the sit down were no doubt the Eirgi/SWP semi-professional protesters.

johntrenchard

Looks to me like the Gardai were treating it as a training exercise.

Jesus, would it be beneath the government to have made this announcement for the sole purpose of creating such a 'training exercise'?

If so, those students have just increased the troubles and difficulties that will have to be surmounted by the real protestors trying to effect real change, when that time eventually comes around.
i think you hit the nail on the head.. it certainly does look like a training exercise because there are numerous mistakes being made by the Gardai - such as allowing their horses to be completely surrounded at the start of the video.

Lack of tear gas is another obvious failing. That would have cleared the sit down protest in no time , with no injuries. And no risk to the Gardai.

it does seem to be an over reaction - i dont see a proper French style riot going on.. Just some pushing and shoving , and a sit down protest. Normal gardai could have just cleared that by physically removing the protestors, and no need to deploy horses, dog, and a full riot squad.

Sure does look like a training exercise, as noted by Speedfreak. Thats the only reasonable explanation for such a deployment.

arcadeparade

Rioting, assaulting Gardaí, obstructing public freeways... not exactly doing nothing wrong.

Shameful behaviour from those involved. Completely derailed the protest.

Why are they treating the Gardaí as the enemy? They had to take cuts too. They are only doing their jobs and keeping louts from intimidating locals and bringing the city to a standstill.

It WAS a legitimate, peaceful protest but by the time that video was taken, it was fr from it. As a member of the USI, I'm quite disgusted to be associated with such hooliganism. Besides being completely wrong, it is also horribly counter productive. Anyone going to town and seeing the protest after its descent into scumbags hurling abuse and objects at Gardaí is not going to be supportive of our cause. And even this spineless government will not be seen to kow-tow to such behaviour.
The USI leadership are the ones that are spineless judging from its presidents statement yesterday.

And proof of police brutality caught on video gets people attention a lot more than a quiet protest where people do as they are told which doesnt achieve anything.

blanket

Can anyone tell me whether riot squad/public order Gardaí are supposed to wear identifying numbers on their uniforms?

Is there a reason why they wear ninja style balaclavas under the transparent protective helmet visors, apart from trying to intimidate protestors and evade accountability?

johnfás

Can anyone tell me whether riot squad/public order Gardaí are supposed to wear identifying numbers on their uniforms?

Is there a reason why they wear ninja style balaclavas under the transparent protective helmet visors, apart from trying to intimidate protestors and evade accountability?
Printed on their helmets.

The balaclavas are fire resistant, they wear them to stop facial scarring if the visor fails or they are caught in fire.

New Threads

Most Replies