Video games will cause problems for the US economy

silverharp

You get these articles from time to time , you would think feminists would love this, men downshifting and not focusing on climbing up some greasy corporate pole which gives them more opportunity. When do articles ever get written about women not working enough because they dont want to.
I dont imagine the computer games are causing the problem , its more that if you have time on your hands you have time to play video games and is not much different to watching TV in the past. The article even says that their happiness has gone up

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/09/23/why-amazing-video-games-could-be-causing-a-big-problem-for-america/#comments

Why amazing video games could be causing a big problem for America

Izquierdo represents a group of video-game-loving Americans who, according to new research, may help explain one of the most alarming aspects of the nation’s economic recovery: Even as the unemployment rate has fallen to low levels, an unusually large percentage of able-bodied men, particularly the young and less-educated, are either not working or not working full-time.

Most of the blame for the struggle of male, less-educated workers has been attributed to lingering weakness in the economy, particularly in male-dominated industries such as manufacturing. Yet in the new research, economists from Princeton, the University of Rochester and the University of Chicago say that an additional reason many of these young men — who don't have college degrees — are rejecting work is that they have a better alternative: living at home and enjoying video games. The decision may not even be completely conscious, but surveys suggest that young men are happier for it.

“Happiness has gone up for this group, despite employment percentages having fallen, and the percentage living with parents going up. And that’s different than for any other group,” says the University of Chicago’s Erik Hurst, an economist at the Booth School of Business who helped lead the research.....

Morgellons

You get these articles from time to time , you would think feminists would love this, men downshifting and not focusing on climbing up some greasy corporate pole which gives them more opportunity. When do articles ever get written about women not working enough because they dont want to.
I dont imagine the computer games are causing the problem , its more that if you have time on your hands you have time to play video games and is not much different to watching TV in the past. The article even says that their happiness has gone up

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/09/23/why-amazing-video-games-could-be-causing-a-big-problem-for-america/#comments
There was a thread about the Japanese doing this too only a few days ago. It's a universal trend, it seems.

silverharp

There was a thread about the Japanese doing this too only a few days ago. It's a universal trend, it seems.
The Japanese trend seems be more obvious and the thread was more specifically about men shutting themselves off entirely, the US is a little more easy to relate to though. It seems to be a big "fear" if you only want to exploit people for more taxes and dumb consumerism. As long as they are paying their way I don't see a huge issue its just worth observing. these people don't appear to be living unhealthy lives as such just more downshifted , if you are not worried by big mortgages and rampant consumerism the cost of living has dropped .The job market is diverging into the "gig economy" versus the fewer opportunities for a job for life so people will have to roll with it and embrace it.

mr. jings

Oh, look. A gratuitous and irrelevant pop at feminists on p.ie.

silverharp

Oh, look. A gratuitous and irrelevant pop at feminists on p.ie.
not really but the media narrative is normally pro feminist but it seems like men cant catch a break, women don't get pointed out for having disposable retail or food jobs but god forbid some men decide on living off low end jobs and they need to be shamed out of playing video games, double standards methinks

mr. jings

not really but the media narrative is normally pro feminist but it seems like men cant catch a break, women don't get pointed out for having disposable retail or food jobs but god forbid some men decide on living off low end jobs and they need to be shamed out of playing video games, double standards methinks
Nonsense standards, more like. Whatever beef you seem to have against whatever you mean by 'feminist' is ill served by such vague and frankly random digs.

silverharp

Nonsense standards, more like. Whatever beef you seem to have against whatever you mean by 'feminist' is ill served by such vague and frankly random digs.
how else would you wrap it up? society aims at being sexless right? apart from clickbait value these articles are playing to some narrative/crowd. why would you need to point out in a negative way that some men want a quitter life when this judgement isn't on women. the article is written a by a woman so will guess she is liberal/feminist and not conservative tradcon.

mr. jings

how else would you wrap it up? society aims at being sexless right? apart from clickbait value these articles are playing to some narrative/crowd. why would you need to point out in a negative way that some men want a quitter life when this judgement isn't on women. the article is written a by a woman so will guess she is liberal/feminist and not conservative tradcon.
Femspiracy tosh.

RasherHash

They may be 'less-educated' but they are intelligent enough, why should they become wage slaves and destroy themselves with stress just to make more money for the 1%.

Keep on gaming I say :)

silverharp

They may be 'less-educated' but they are intelligent enough, why should they become wage slaves and destroy themselves with stress just to make more money for the 1%.

oh for sure , risks and rewards, if the benefits aren't there no point playing the game. Only an idiot would walk through a shredder if there is only a 10% chance of coming the other side intact :D

roc_

... why should they become wage slaves and destroy themselves with stress just to make more money for the 1%.

Wage slavery may sometimes tend to somewhat "dwarf" a man in certain cases. But remaining a "man child" for your adult life does it much more. And once the realisation of your stunted development subconsciously creeps in, you become resentful and malcontent, and that is often manifested in ways that are socially, politically and economically destructive. - Your Holocaust denial and associated pathological malignity towards what you term "Zionists" is a good example of this, imho.

petaljam

One, women certainly are regularly pointed at in some sections of the media, particularly women's magazines, for not being able to "have it all", or rather manage to do it all : full time high powered job plus be a great cook, wonderful mother and have a fantastic body and great dress sense.

Two, while I don't personally care if some men (no women? Really?) choose to spend their lives playing video games instead of engaging with society and taking on any responsibilities at all IRL, I don't think that's at all comparable to the tradition of women allowing or choosing to downgrade their careers in order to fulfill a different set of responsibilities, i.e. their family.

Only a "feminist conspiracy" nut would think the two are similar.

Crack hoe

One, women certainly are regularly pointed at in some sections of the media, particularly women's magazines, for not being able to "have it all", or rather manage to do it all : full time high powered job plus be a great cook, wonderful mother and have a fantastic body and great dress sense.

Two, while I don't personally care if some men (no women? Really?) choose to spend their lives playing video games instead of engaging with society and taking on any responsibilities at all IRL, I don't think that's at all comparable to the tradition of women allowing or choosing to downgrade their careers in order to fulfill a different set of responsibilities, i.e. their family.

Surely both are about work/life balance and choice? Which is different for everybody.

petaljam

Surely both are about work/life balance and choice? Which is different for everybody.
Is withdrawing from society in order to live a virtual digital life really a form of work/life balance?
It seems to me one may as well say that crack cocaine addiction is also a form of work/life balance.

niall78

We're probably looking into a possible future with reports like this. With increased automation it's hard to see how the vast populations in many countries will have anything worthwhile to do as regards work. While a minority are suited to high skill work many simply aren't. I can see in the not so distant future a large percentage of the population being supported by payments to simply do nothing. Even many in jobs that are high paying now will find technology de-skilling and automating their formally valuable skills.

At the present if a person has no stake in society - no chance of tangible success - it must be very tempting to simply live outside that system as much as possible.

silverharp

this article is about men who don't have college degrees so I don't see the similarity to the model high powered female executive and her alleged woes

mr. jings

this article is about men who don't have college degrees so I don't see the similarity to the model high powered female executive and her alleged woes
You are the one who mentioned the greasy corporate pole, in fairness.

silverharp

Is withdrawing from society in order to live a virtual digital life really a form of work/life balance?
It seems to me one may as well say that crack cocaine addiction is also a form of work/life balance.
Im not sure that was the trust of the article , the average time spent seemed to be no worse than TV in the past. economically there aren't enough good jobs. 40 years ago a bus driver in the US would have had the full deal, house family and kids. Its modern equivalents don't offer that so might as well not get too stressed about it.

New Threads

Most Replies