• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Vietnam & Irish Aid - why are we giving millions to a Dictatorship with such huge Armed Forces?

Catalpa

With the Uganda Scandal hitting the headlines this one should also be made note of:

Vietnam is one of the most heavily militarised States in the World

The size of its Air Force alone is staggering!

Vietnam People's Air Force - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ireland will provide 11 million euro in assistance to Vietnam this year, in addition to 1 million euro to support demining in Laos and Cambodia.
Mr Costello's three day trip takes place as investigations continue in to the alleged fraud of Irish Aid funding in Uganda.
Minister to see Vietnam aid work - National News, Breaking News - Herald.ie

Racist

With the Uganda Scandal hitting the headlines this one should also be made note of:

Ireland will provide 11 million euro in assistance to Vietnam this year, in addition to 1 million euro to support demining in Laos and Cambodia.
Mr Costello's three day trip takes place as investigations continue in to the alleged fraud of Irish Aid funding in Uganda.
We give aid to these type of governments because Eamon Gilmore and the rest of the happy clappy brigade get a warm feeling doing so.

Vega1447

We give aid to these type of governments because Eamon Gilmore and the rest of the happy clappy brigade get a warm feeling doing so.
Hmm..

I don't suppose any Irish oil/gas exploration companies are prospecting/extracting in Vietnam?

mary_queen_of_the_gael

Vietnam is a great country and the Vietnamese are great people The Catholic Church is thriving in the South, making inroads in the Central Highlands and struggling in the North.
Some of history's worst war crimes were committed against the Vietnamese people by the American savages. I refer in particular to the widespread use of Monsanto's Agent Orange which continues to kill and maim Vietnamese children today. The criminal American government refuses to pay compensation and if the Irish are making a tiny contribution to that or to clear up mines the SA trained Khmer Rouge left behind, it is money well spent.

Rory Carr

Gilmore & Co can have multi-orgasms if they wish but that is not the reason for giving aid. As with large corporations who donate to charities there is no real altruism involved. Donations are made in order to persuade the general public wha wonderful, warm-hearted guys Pzizer, Guinness, Tesco...whatever really are and thus worthy of one's continued custom. Vharitable giving by large trading corporations have no element of real charity in them they are simply investments in the public gullibility and differ little from general advertising of a company's brand or name.

So it s with aid given by a first world nation to a third world nation, the giving is to remind the recipient nation when it gets on its feet, from where it might seek those goods and services that it requires to import. An investment then as any other.

The importance of a large and well functioning air defence would be of paramount importance for the maintenance of Vietnam's security given the ever present danger of military incursions from its imperialist-minded neighbour, the People's Republic of China, whose aggressive incursions Vietnam have had to repel on a number of occasions since driving US imperialists from its shores. Not much point in increasing productivity in the paddy fields only to have your neighbour come and seize the rice.

Catalpa

Vietnam is a great country and the Vietnamese are great people The Catholic Church is thriving in the South, making inroads in the Central Highlands and struggling in the North.
Some of history's worst war crimes were committed against the Vietnamese people by the American savages. I refer in particular to the widespread use of Monsanto's Agent Orange which continues to kill and maim Vietnamese children today. The criminal American government refuses to pay compensation and if the Irish are making a tiny contribution to that or to clear up mines the SA trained Khmer Rouge left behind, it is money well spent.
Indeed

However the Government of Vietnam should spend its own money on helping its own People

- & the Irish Government should do the same

Catalpa

Gilmore & Co can have multi-orgasms if they wish but that is not the reason for giving aid. As with large corporations who donate to charities there is no real altruism involved. Donations are made in order to persuade the general public wha wonderful, warm-hearted guys Pzizer, Guinness, Tesco...whatever really are and thus worthy of one's continued custom. Vharitable giving by large trading corporations have no element of real charity in them they are simply investments in the public gullibility and differ little from general advertising of a company's brand or name.

So it s with aid given by a first world nation to a third world nation, the giving is to remind the recipient nation when it gets on its feet, from where it might seek those goods and services that it requires to import. An investment then as any other.

The importance of a large and well functioning air defence would be of paramount importance for the maintenance of Vietnam's security given the ever present danger of military incursions from its imperialist-minded neighbour, the People's Republic of China, whose aggressive incursions Vietnam have had to repel on a number of occasions since driving US imperialists from its shores. Not much point in increasing productivity in the paddy fields only to have your neighbour come and seize the rice.
For crying out loud that was 33 years ago...:roll:

mary_queen_of_the_gael

Indeed

However the Government of Vietnam should spend its own money on helping its own People

- & the Irish Government should do the same
A Ms Noble, from Dublin runs an orphanage in Saigon. It is a very popular source of funding with the ex pat brigade. There are still a lot of poor in Vietnam and awful crimes have been committed against them in living memory.

For crying out loud that was 33 years ago...:roll:
Reminds me of a joke: This guy is walking down a street when he sees 6 skinheads beating up an old man. They ask him why they are doing that.
They say: He is a Jew.
So?
They killed Jesus.
But that happened 2000 years ago.
Makes no difference. We only heard about it yesterday.
::::::::::::::

The Vn put up with Chinese imperialism for 1000 years and the Chinese navy today threatens the Spratly Islands along with many other places.

Franker65

Their airforce really isn't too big - most of those airplanes are 1960s Russian vintage and are no longer servicable. It isn't such a militarised nation. China are bullying the whole region and some kind of effective military defence is necessary...as long as the aid goes to the people, I have no problem with it.

mary_queen_of_the_gael

Ho Chi Minh - Wikiquote

You fools! Don't you realize what it means if the Chinese remain? Don't you remember your history? The last time the Chinese came, they stayed a thousand years. The French are foreigners. They are weak. Colonialism is dying. The white man is finished in Asia. But if the Chinese stay now, they will never go. As for me, I prefer to sniff French ************************ for five years than to eat Chinese ************************ for the rest of my life.

drummed

Jesus Mary, have you got anythng to say that's actually related to Irelands current commitments to Vietnam?

Politics matters

I much prefer giving money to the Asians rather than giving it to the Africans at least we can expect a return on our investment. Vietnam and Laos are developing countries which like China are moving away from centrally planned economics to the free market. I think the West agrees that the free market will be the doom of communism and democracy is inevitable. With that in mind its safe to say that the government of a democracy would likely stop wasting money on an airforce it cannot afford.

Last edited:

Cynicist

I much prefer giving money to the Asians rather than giving it to the Africans at least we can expect a return on our investment. Vietnam and Laos are developing countries which like China are moving away from centrally planned economics to the free market. I think the West agrees that the free market will be the doom of communism and democracy is inevitable. With that in mind its safe to say that the government of a democracy would likely stop wasting money on an airforce it cannot afford.
Another Asian aid beneficiary is India which also has a large air force and space programme. The idea that democracy stops governments wasting money on militarism is a joke as is the idea of borrowed Irish aid money provided to a middle-income country which has its own aid budget and business.
Trócaire spends a lot of money also in India but its well tied in with the missionary work which offers the down-trodden a chance of salvation!

Phil Maker

Twitter
dont talk to me about twitter

Cynicist

thats right. only 33 years ago since they fought off the americans. the chinese threat is presumably clear and present.
OK then so we can start gun-running as part of the aid package alongside oil exploration, evangelisation, cheap handbag production and other initiatives that would ensure sustainability of corruption and Costello trips.

davidv

And losers such as Joe Costello love spending our taxes on pet projects that stroke his ego

Shameful stuff

oh, terribly sorry. i thought i was getting involved in an reasonable dicussion on the pros and cons of foreign aid and the contexts in which it is donated. didnt realise that the purpose of the thread was for bashing joe costello. terribly sorrry. i am in the wrong place.

OK then so we can start gun-running as part of the aid package alongside oil exploration, evangelisation, cheap handbag production and other initiatives that would ensure sustainability of corruption and Costello trips.

I do not approve of militarism, but a country with one sixth of the world population would be expected to invest in defending those people. they would be irresponsible if they didnt. they would also be expected to invest in developement , including space technology.

Mossy Heneberry

Because it is always easy to give away other peoples' money.