• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Viewers in Annascaul cannot receive Saorview.

davidcameron

Villagers angry they need 'unsightly dishes' to get TV signal - National News - Independent.ie

HOUSEHOLDERS in a small village are going to have to install "unsightly" satellite dishes to receive any TV signal.

Annascaul in west Kerry was left with no TV signal as the country went digital today. The only option open to people in the area is to install a Saorsat dish at a cost of up to €350.

James Knightly, who installs satellite dishes and aerials, says the mast should have been upgraded but RTE has said it was not in a position to do this.
Why is RTÉ not in a position to upgrade the mast? A public service broadcaster is supposed to make itself available to as many people as possible who are willing to pay the licence-fee. The people of Annascaul had previously received analogue TV. Therefore, they are entitled to receive digital TV.

FakeViking

There's only one thing for it. A national hunger strike. Straight after lunch tomorrow.

Spanner Island

I would imagine budgetary limitations and it wasn't worth it...

A public service broadcaster is supposed to make itself available to as many people as possible who are willing to pay the licence-fee. The people of Annascaul had previously received analogue TV. Therefore, they are entitled to receive digital TV.
And they can and will once they have the dishes...

I've got zero sympathy for anyone who can't get a TV signal today...

For years we've had uncle Gaybo telling us 'It's time to go digital'...

Individuals and communities should have sorted themselves out if they were in doubt...

I'm just glad the entire digital campaign is over now... cos it was tedious...

GDPR

Looks like this is the place for people who are sick of the license extortion of RTE to move to.

westernyelp

Heard some woman on the news say that she could not get Saorview where she was and even the Saorsat would involve putting the dish across the field and running cable at a cost of €2000! surely some subsidy is deserved in these cases. Garnish Pat Kenny's and Tubbers wages if needs be.

Tweek

Looks like this is the place for people who are sick of the license extortion of RTE to move to.
Saorsat is available, it is in no way a special area that could be excluded from the licence fee.

Heard some woman on the news say that she could not get Saorview where she was and even the Saorsat would involve putting the dish across the field and running cable at a cost of €2000! surely some subsidy is deserved in these cases. Garnish Pat Kenny's and Tubbers wages if needs be.
I wonder how scribbled on the fag packet that price came from the back of is.

dizillusioned

Were the people quoting driving a white van, with the faint smell of tarmac coming from it?

Spanner Island

I heard €1K myself...

In rare cases like this I would agree a subsidy or the waiving of the licence fee for a number of years to cover the cost should be made available... but only in these very rare cases where additional costs over and above the cost of installing a dish on a house are required and as long as the installation is done by an approved installer...

cogar

That was an excellent report on the 6.1 news. I hope that they can be fixed up at a reasonable price. I think a bit of a whip around in the canteen in RTE might do the trick.

neiphin

With Sky, you have to pay a subscription as well as the licence fee to receive the Irish channels. Another problem with Saorsat is that TV3 is not available on it.
a problem for who ?

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Villagers angry they need 'unsightly dishes' to get TV signal - National News - Independent.ie

Why is RTÉ not in a position to upgrade the mast? A public service broadcaster is supposed to make itself available to as many people as possible who are willing to pay the licence-fee. The people of Annascaul had previously received analogue TV. Therefore, they are entitled to receive digital TV.
Why are the people of Annascaul paying a TV licence if it doesn't get them a decent reception?

RTÉ have a responsibility to provide every licence holder with decent reception. Full stop.

Hewson