Viewpoint Diversity in Irish universities

Snart

Universities are meant to be a place of intellect for higher education. Why the feck should diversity even come into this?

Load of bloody rubbish.

AyaanMyHero

Universities are meant to be a place of intellect for higher education. Why the feck should diversity even come into this?

Load of bloody rubbish.
I care most that universities have viewpoint diversity in the humanity areas. This meaning that there is a fair crack of the whip given to reasonable and relevant ideas of all sorts in these subjects. If that is not case, then you get group think. The results of education/research are weaker because of unchallenged ideas based on unsound biases. That means the conclusions of research are poorer and the competence of students weaker than they could be.

There seems to be an increasing focus in university courses on helping people within our society that are in poverty or in danger or in poor health or who suffer discrimination. No problem there.

However, for some reason or another, some people with those good intentions are seeing the privileged people as the oppressor while also denying countless other reasons to explain why the world is the way it is. By not considering diverse viewpoints and knowledge, the results of their efforts will be poor. The simplistic solutions they will propose may end up causing problems in areas where there is really no problem. Also, it is likely that they make less impact where they intended to make impact, i.e in improving the outcomes of the disadvantaged. Finally, where one is in a place where many such blinkered people are gathered together, it encourages one to present oneself as a victim of the oppressor.

Whether this phenomena is the fault of the education system, I do not know. It is what the thread is about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eventualities

I think it is safe to say that many US universities have a problem that is concentrated in non-scientific faculties and the university management. It is the problem of a dominant ideology based around social justice and victim-hood where in the worst cases, the proponents of the ideology have lost any tolerance for any other competing/conflicting viewpoints existing on the campuses. There following videos explain why this is a problem.

https://youtu.be/kaQ-ZF9S3uk
https://youtu.be/uogEbb0WOJE
https://youtu.be/3H20jwYq8WI

This is why you see no-platforming happening in universities. No-platforming is the most externally visible sign that this problem exists. Anyone who might say something or even be perceived to say something negative against a victimized category runs the risk of being no-platformed. Another clear sign is when independently minded academics get their P45 handed to them.

In the US, this guy Jonathan Haidt has started an organisation to restore viewpoint diversity to US universities. He even compiles a ranking of US universities where the elite universities are unfortunately at the bottom of the pile in terms of viewpoint diversity. This should start helping in the coming years.

In the UK, you have a different approach being taken to tackle the no-platforming symptom of the problem: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2018/05/03/universities-no-platform-controversial-speakers-will-face-government/

Why is this important ? Well we pay a lot of money for education and it is essential for our future success as a society. If our 3rd level institutions are educating our young adults to be one trick ponies, we should care. If our young adults are one trick ponies, what happens our society as these young adults develop into political, media, business and education leaders ? Educating our next generation of leaders is essential to keep societal development adapting to unforeseen change in the best possible way.

Is there any evidence of this lack of viewpoint diversity in Irish universities ?
Is there any evidence that viewpoint diversity is alive and flourishing in Irish universities ?
Is there some reason why the Irish institutes are resistant to what US universities are clearly not?

Contributions could be on events directly occurring within the third level institution or it could be on events external to the university that indirectly points to presence or absence of viewpoint diversity in university education.

I would especially love to hear viewpoints/evidence from people inside the Irish universities and those who recently (last 10 years) exited as a graduating student from an Irish university. I am a science and tech graduate from too long ago and hence I won;t have direct experience of what is happening in the humanities now.

I am a concerned citizen with a stake in the quality of our third level education system. I do see that Irish media is no different to other medias in terms of the biases they portray and this gives me some reason to believe all is not well at the universities.
This is literally all B.S.

Irish universities have been deeply conservative at management level for generations, in terms of campus culture and academic policies, and OP is yet another Yankified right-winger parroting other people's talking points.

Naked anti-intellectualism.

Cellachán Chaisil

The places where students are being thought there are 100 different genders never mind the science a man can simply put on a dress and mutilate his penis and all of a sudden he becomes a woman.
Being thought?

Intellectual powerhouse here.

AyaanMyHero

This is literally all B.S.

Irish universities have been deeply conservative at management level for generations, in terms of campus culture and academic policies, and OP is yet another Yankified right-winger parroting other people's talking points.

Naked anti-intellectualism.
The Irish universities may be conservatively managed as you say but unless you provide some evidence on why you think that then you don't look very intellectual either.

Eventualities

The Irish universities may be conservatively managed as you say but unless you provide some evidence on why you think that then you don't look very intellectual either.

How about the papists sitting on boards of management in most cases and insisting on their ideologies having safe spaces (chaplaincies) on campus in the face of rising secularism?

AyaanMyHero

How about the papists sitting on boards of management in most cases and insisting on their ideologies having safe spaces (chaplaincies) on campus in the face of rising secularism?
Any other examples of conservatism ?

jmcc

So "diversity" doesn't involve respect for other people or their religion? Your statement is obviously that of a bigot especially with your use of that term "papist". Are you aware of how Irish people were mistreated and murdered just for merely being "papist"?

AyaanMyHero

You mentioned conservatism in terms academic issues and campus culture. Does this example you give cover both academic and campus culture ?

A Voice

I think you're out of date. The nearest chaplaincy to me is multi-faith and none. Same with others I know of.

AyaanMyHero

The UCD SU (which is a testing ground for future gombeen politicians to promise change to a gullible audience then sit on their backsides for a year) has been implicated in some "questionable" activities regarding free speech and freedom of opinion.

The most famous example would be Katie Ascough's impeachment on the grounds she held pro-life views. She made these views explicitly clear before her election. Luckily, the thought police in her cabinet did their best to have her ousted once she disagreed to contradict her own position on the matter.
There is a storm going on on another thread about this. All about whether Katie was in the right or the wrong.

The question that is relevant to this thread is whether the university management or police made any attempts to stop/discourage the worst of the abuse that Katie got. The worst of that abuse being a social media message stating "Katie has to die" referenced in this interview at about 8 minutes. Taking some punitive action on such extreme attacks would certainly be in support of viewpoint diversity. I could not find any mention in the media if there was any punitive action taken. Let us all know if anyone knows different. It would be good news indded.

https://youtu.be/5Vd3UZskiHo

Mercurial

So that we can ascertain whether your conclusion actually has merit. It can only benefit you really because at the moment, your conclusion\claim is on shaky ground.
Why would I care whether you can ascertain whether anything I say has merit?

Watcher2

Why would I care whether you can ascertain whether anything I say has merit?
If not for me, for other members of this forum. If not for them, for yourself, because you are looking pretty foolish right now especially with your last few contributions.

Mercurial

If not for me, for other members of this forum. If not for them, for yourself, because you are looking pretty foolish right now especially with your last few contributions.
I don’t think most other members of this forum share your apparent inability to understand the points I’m making or the evidence on which they’re based.

AyaanMyHero

I think many members would love to see you do more to back up your viewpoint with evidence or even with articles/videos from commentators that support your viewpoint.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies