Vile Robert Mugabe dead.

tsarbomb

Rocky

It was a British Colony from 1890 to 1980. During that time it's status had many different names but it was always a colony.
Not in any real sense. It wasn't recognized as an Independent State by I think anyone, but the British state had no power or control in Rhodesia between 1965-1980, so in effect it was independent.

Golah veNekhar

Levellers

He managed to turn a country with a thriving agricultural sector into basket case. Zimbabwe has the potential to grow enough food to feed the planet, but under Mugabe's rule they can't even feed themselves. No wonder Ian Smith is remembered fondly there.

Also, he didn't free Zimbabwe from British colonial rule. Zimbabwe was independent when he took over.
No doubt he made a dogs dinner of the economy.

But the 'successful' farming sector relied on poorly paid natives working in almost indentured conditions. This couldn't continue after independence.

cottage_economist

Freed his country from British colonial rule.
From memory Rhodesian PM Ian Smith declared a Unilateral Declaration of Independence from the Commonwealth, so it had long since ceased to be a British colony by that time.

Levellers

From memory Rhodesian PM Ian Smith declared a Unilateral Declaration of Independence from the Commonwealth, so it had long since ceased to be a British colony by that time.
So why then on Independence Day did Prince Charles haul down the Union Jack before Mugabe raised the new national flag?

Eoin Coir

The vile thug died in a 5 star hospital in Signapore,while back home hospitals done even have pain killers. The country once bread basket of Africa is now a wasteland

NYCKY

He did make good use of the Lateran Treaty and was a regular visitor at the Vatican despite being banned from the EU.

He had so much promise but turned out to be a vile turd. At least he can do no more harm.

Barroso

Not in any real sense. It wasn't recognized as an Independent State by I think anyone, but the British state had no power or control in Rhodesia between 1965-1980, so in effect it was independent.
So where did the produce of what another poster called "the breadbasket of Africa" go, if not to Britain? Possibly via SA, possibly via Moçambique.
I think the whole independence thing was just a smokescreen to allow the Brits to remain in control while pretending they weren't.

Eoin Coir

He did make good use of the Lateran Treaty and was a regular visitor at the Vatican despite being banned from the EU.

He had so much promise but turned out to be a vile turd. At least he can do no more harm.
Yes he turned up at Pope John Paul funeral,amazing,of course he was educated by the Jesuits

toughbutfair

Terrible that Africa nearly always produces these guys. All the resources it has and the people are starving or always at war. No idea if it will ever civilize itself.

McTell

Twitter
No
Terrible that Africa nearly always produces these guys. All the resources it has and the people are starving or always at war. No idea if it will ever civilize itself.

The problem is upping the levels to our levels in just 200 years, that took us 1,000. That is impressive but with rough edges.

I feel sorry for Zim, but I don't want to interfere in their lives, because I don't want them interfering in my life.

Botswana did ok, and I love the name of their VP

recedite

"Give me the child for the first seven years and I will give you the man"
Was the motto of the Jesuits.
Mugabe was educated by Irish Jesuits, who no doubt instilled a hatred of The Brits in him, and gave him a very large bee in his bonnet for the rest of his life.

Generally if you look at Jesuit schools, they do not really cater for the poor, although the poor may get in on scholarships. They specifically aim to educate an elite, the movers and shakers of future society. That often gave them an influence over how civil society developed, and sometimes access to the politicians in charge.
DeValera was another guy who was picked out by them, and they arranged for him to go to Blackrock College.

Rocky

To be fair Africa has improved in nearly ever respect in the last 10 to 30 years. A lot less wars, a lot less coups, more peaceful elections and less famines. Most African states boost very good growth rates. It is just coming from an extremely low base and the first few decades after independence for most states were a nightmare.

Europe also produced enough of these guys in the past too. As bad as Mugabe was he still wasn't on the level of Hitler or Stalin.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies