VinB 8/11/10

dent

You obviously dont know him too well. If anything the majority of personal votes will go against him, because he is not a very personable person. There is a lot going on there that has yet to see the light of day.

BOD is just a fall guy for FF in an election they know they have no hope of winning.

Up until now he has been side lined by FF. He stormed out of one of the local FF AGMs with his tail between his legs only about two years ago. He is not popular within FF. All of a sudden he is being put out there as thier prime candidate in Donegal SW?

Ringo, in typical FF form you have decided to ignore the questions that were put to you as a BOD suportrer.

Where has the money gone?
I suppose when you think about it, with a GE only a matter of months away, Mary Coughlan wouldn't want another sitting TD taking her spotlight in Donegal South West, now that Pat the Cope is in Brussels. Better to put up a sap like O'Domhnall.

Franzoni

Did you hear him on Newstalk this morning? Refused to condemn the ongoing practice of the 1/2 hour off in the public sector to cash cheques when they are no longer paid by cheque.
I remember in the building game when ATM cards came in and we still demanded our 1/2 hour to go to the bank....

no one likes giving up 30mins extra off work so what...? what do you want a union leader to do,lie down and roll over for everything the employer demands.?..get real....:rolleyes: we started unions to deal on our behalf with employers so of course someone like O'Connor isn't going to show his hand on radio....

what is it with constant PS bashing on this forum...? of course they need reform everyone knows that,but the real crooks are FF and the rest of the pigs in Dail Eireann who won't take a significant pay cut to show real leadership....

Goldencircle

You obviously dont know him too well. If anything the majority of personal votes will go against him, because he is not a very personable person. There is a lot going on there that has yet to see the light of day.

BOD is just a fall guy for FF in an election they know they have no hope of winning.

Up until now he has been side lined by FF. He stormed out of one of the local FF AGMs with his tail between his legs only about two years ago. He is not popular within FF. All of a sudden he is being put out there as thier prime candidate in Donegal SW?

Ringo, in typical FF form you have decided to ignore the questions that were put to you as a BOD suportrer.

Where has the money gone?
So he's that bad FF don't even like him :lol:

Aridion

Erm...... guys As far as I know BoD has done very well iin all his local elections so far!
I guess there will always be begruders in every constituency!
And his brother topped the 2009 council polls, even if FF didn't run him.
The guy FF did choose didn't even get in.
Just shows their inadequacies......
P.S they were canvassing their area last as were SF. They had 2 local guys that I personnally know. SF a guy with a Belfast accent and someone else who didn't open his mouth.
My neighbours were impressed by the o Domhnaill canvassers!
I am now waiting for the others. Then I will make my decision on who to vote for.

Last edited:

popular1

Erm...... guys As far as I know BoD has done very well iin all his local elections so far!
I guess there will always be begruders in every constituency!
And his brother topped the 2009 council polls, even if FF didn't run him.
The guy FF did choose didn't even get in.
Just shows their inadequacies......
he will get a lot of votes, because he will try and get them what they want as lomg as it does not cost him anyhting personally in financial terms, and if he does not get it he can say oh those ones in dublin wouldnt give it to us, oh he will get them planning permissoin medical cards etc etc etc and thats what they want, end of story. absolutely no interest in the well being of the country as long as the grants keep flowing

Aridion

he will get a lot of votes, because he will try and get them what they want as lomg as it does not cost him anyhting personally in financial terms, and if he does not get it he can say oh those ones in dublin wouldnt give it to us, oh he will get them planning permissoin medical cards etc etc etc and thats what they want, end of story. absolutely no interest in the well being of the country as long as the grants keep flowing
Something like that. Not too far off.

Ringo Starr

Does anyone know anything about this new candidate! Will be intresting what area she is from, could we see a candidate winning the by=election without a quota???

stripey cat

Hi new poster Aridion. I have been looking over a few of your posts.
You certainly seem to know a lot about O Domhnaill, for someone who is "not a big follower of his".

Before this I was going to vote Labour in this By election.
Overall I was impressed by the o Domhnaill. I am sure their party HQ will be impressed with him.
I don't think BoD was 4th choice. I am not a big follower of his, but I do know that he was primed to run from the start. A lot of media speculation can muddy the waters. And from what I know of a lot of the Irish media, one should take a lot of their stuff with a pinch of salt.
Or maybe you are referring to Frank Mc Breartys referneces on The Vinny Show? From what I saw of him on that show I wouldn't think of him when I think of accurate, logical predictions and facts.
O Domhnaill had the hard questions to answer and handled himself a lot better than many others in his party.
Pearse Doherty seems to think he has it won already. I was going to vote with Sinn Fein this time, but on meeting Mr. Doherty in Gweedore I was surprized by his coldness. He wasn't friendly at all and seemed to walk around with an air of superiority. A few of my friends have said the same to me in the past. I must say to them, I stand corrected.....
Donegal people will vote for the person they know will deliver!
I think the negativity of the anti -FFers are beginning to bore them. As they are that little bit more independent up here, they will want what is best for the county, maybe not what is best for the country overall.
o Domhnaill could have a good run at this election.They seem to have a very strong canvassing machine.
And a few weeks is a long time in politics. Many attitudes could change before the 25th.
Lets wait and see..........
As far as I know Brian o Domhnaill beat Pearse Doherty in a County Council election a number of years ago. It seems likely that he will be the candidate for FF.

And look at this, from September 4th!

FF To top the poll. Brian o Domhnaill
Followed by o Neill
Then Doherty.
Mc Brearty too far East to make any head way.
I suppose it is possible that you are not a member of Fianna Fail who has joined politics.ie recently just to comment favourably on your preferred candidate.

I'm not saying you are, but for someone who was going to vote SF, then Labour, you seem to have a great grá in your heart for O Domhnaill
all the same. Especially as you took the time to point out that you are "not a big follower of his".

tribade

Does anyone know anything about this new candidate! Will be intresting what area she is from, could we see a candidate winning the by=election without a quota???
Are you talking about Anne Sweeney? She's a wretched piece of work and if I was giving preferences from the top of the ballot sheet to the bottom, Frank McBrearty would not be my last preference now that she has the joined the so called race, not that i'll be voting beyond number 1

Ringo Starr

Yes that's the woman, I'm after getting the local paper after work, seems to be anti everything really, Smoking ban, etc.
At times Politics.ie can be very intellectual and informing, but sometimes people take it to serious and try to act the detective when perhaps they are the perpetrator of the act themselves

Ringo Starr

Yes do most of posting on boards.ie and other forums but they really havent got much of a Politics thread!! Perhaps i should remove that shovel from your hand and stop you digging a hole for youself.

Goldencircle

Aridion = Éamon Ó Cuív

Ringo = Donie Cassidy

no doubt about it

Polly Thicks

OMG!!!
Was out of the country and just watched this on TV3 website.

Doherty wiped the floor with them all. The other three are very weak for supposedly main party candidates. The FF candidate is all defensive and finger pointing, The FG'r looked uncomfortable and looked like he was hoping that he could just get through the programme.
And as faor McBrearty.............He's just a bully and always was. He has no idea how to act in a serious political debate, constantly interrupting and making childish remarks.
.............And the "the wave".
At this stage I am convinced that he thought that he was on "Have I got News for You" and had to come up with the best caption.

It's a pity they didnt have Thomas Pringle on. It was known at that time that he was contesting the election. He would have given Doherty a bit of oratory competition. Pringle ran as an Independent in 2002 and got around the same amount of first preference votes as Doherty. He then joined SF for 3 years but left citing policy disagreements and other reasons. I think one of the other reasons was that Doherty was being groomed as the SF poster boy.
Pringle is popular in DSW and a real peoples man and will do some damage to FF and FG in his own local area.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies