• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

#VINB Mon 22/4/2013: Abortion

Norman Bates

Twitter
norman60bates
Details are not from tv3. Panel details will be included as soon as known/broadcast.

Peadar O'Grady, Doctors4Choice https://twitter.com/Doctors4Choice
Caroline Simons, Pro Life About | |
Mary Minahan, Political reporter Irish Times

Minister for Health Dr James Reilly has said that it is “never going to be the case” that six consultants “either simultaneously or individually” will review pregnant women who are suicidal and want an abortion.

Reports suggesting a new law on abortion could require two obstetricians and four psychiatrists, one of whom must be a perinatal psychiatrist, to assess the suicidal risk of pregnant women was “completely unworkable”, said Dr Anthony McCarthy of Holles Street maternity hospital. Dr Reilly he told reporters this morning
“The heads of the bill are not finalised. They are still in process. It would not be appropriate for me to discuss what is in them until they have been discussed at the appropriate level which is cabinet,”
Dr Reilly said after he brings the heads of the bill to Government, they will go to the Oireachtas committee on health where the heads can be discussed before the bill is finally drafted.
“Obviously the drafting of that bill will be very much informed by what happens at the Oireachtas Committee.”
So what is going on? Dr Reilly says that an outline of the proposed legislation will be brought to Cabinet tomorrow amid rumours that there are deep devisions between the Coalition parties on what form the abortion legislation should take.

Tonight, Vinny will debate the abortion issue … with what I have little doubt will turn out to be an interesting panel. :oops:

https://twitter.com/search?q=#abortion&src=hash
Reilly responds to abortion legislation criticism - Independent.ie
Reilly denies six-doctor abortion proposals - RTÉ News
Reilly denies plan for six doctors to review abortion requests - Political News | Irish & International Politics | The Irish Times - Mon, Apr 22, 2013

http://www.politics.ie/forum/health-social-affairs/208842-lobbyist-largest-abortion-provider-us-argues-post-birth-abortion.html
http://www.politics.ie/forum/health-social-affairs/204196-after-abortion-legislation-passed-should-we-petition-uk-forbid-abortion-among-irish-citizens.html
http://www.politics.ie/forum/health-social-affairs/176453-new-survey-attitude-irish-gps-abortion.html
http://www.politics.ie/forum/justice/181293-senator-ronan-mullen-wants-abortion-referendum.html

Paper preview:
Clare Grady, Editor The Herald
Eoghan Corry, Editor Travel Extra

Previous #VINB: http://www.politics.ie/forum/backstage/209535-vinb-thur-18-4-2013-personal-insolvency-croke-park-2-a.html

Online: Aertv | Watch Irish TV live online Or tv3 catch-up through: Catch-up TV, Entertainment, News, Sport, Soaps and all your favourite Irish and International shows from TV3

Last edited:

Windowshopper

Abortion? Ah gawd no!!!

mr. jings

Time for some abortion bingo - my favourite solitary drinking game.

spidermom

Reilly leaks to gauge reaction me thinks!!...
I would "suggest" the leaks were not far off the mark!
Laughable really....do they not know what the waits are like to see a psychiatrist NOW..!!

You could concieve, give birth and have the child christened before you'd get an appointment in this country!!..
For adolescents...the list is 9 months!!...:-(

Fr. Hank Tree

Great, I'm sure the discussion will be chaired with the utmost impartiality and objectivity.

:rolleyes:

Abaddon

FFS! I think I'll leave vinnie to it tonight.

The Owl

See 6 consultants before a decision is made on abortion or not. By the time a woman will get to see one consultant her pregnancy will have turned into a 3 year old, maybe older. Six consultants the abortion will be doing the Leaving Cert.

runwiththewind

If a woman is only thinking about suicide before she meets her six doctors, she certainly will by the time they are finished with her.

There are only 3 perinatal psychiatrists. Hope they have room in their diaries for thousands of new patients.

Norman Bates

Twitter
norman60bates
Reilly leaks to gauge reaction me thinks!!...
I would "suggest" the leaks were not far off the mark!
Laughable really....do they not know what the waits are like to see a psychiatrist NOW..!!

You could concieve, give birth and have the child christened before you'd get an appointment in this country!!..
For adolescents...the list is 9 months!!...:-(
I have a built-in turn off machine on this topic. Only listen now to what the women have to say on this subject.

Ryan Tubbs

There are only 3 perinatal psychiatrists. Hope they have room in their diaries for thousands of new patients.
In the last 40 years in Ireland, there have been about 10 maternal suicides. That's one every four years.

And yet, everyone seems to think that the three perinatal psychiatrists are going to be over-burdened.

Socratus O' Pericles

North Korea ,Crossing the Line is on BBC 4.An amazing story from 1962.

ygargarin

It's not known if any of these 3 are prepared to take part in the proposed star chamber interviews. I expect that they cannot be compelled.

spidermom

Sure...ye men not allowed to have opinions on "wimmins" issues....don't ya know!!...

Think joe public have forgotten exactly WHATit is they are legislating on too....lots of angry young'uns me thinks!!
I have a built-in turn off machine on this topic. Only listen now to what the women have to say on this subject.

SayItAintSo

If a woman is only thinking about suicide before she meets her six doctors, she certainly will by the time they are finished with her.

Why are people expecting thousands of pregnant women to be suicidal?