• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

#VinB - Mon 27/5/2013: Surely it is Time for a New Political Party!?

ruserious

Guests

• Declan Ganley - Pro and Anti Europe campaigner and failed politician
  • Noel Whelan - Fianna Fáil wingman and so called political analyst
  • Ben Gilroy - Self Confessed Property Rights Guru and Drama Queen
  • Alison O'Connor - Strong, Independent Woman

What's Happening?

Should be a cracker tonight folks. The topic is about does Ireland need new political parties to shake up the Irish political landscape & offer the electorate some real alternatives? Yes, Vincent, I'm sure we all agree at this stage :roll:
Maybe Deccie will make up his mind on whether Europe is good for us or not. Is he relaunching Libertas? Where's DC again??
Or is Noely here to wag the dogs bollix about Fianna Fáil and how they are Ireland's answer to the crisis caused by...well you guessed it...Fianna Fáil.
Perhaps Ben Gilroy is here to say that his party which failed in the Bye-election is tomorrows answer for today's problems.
Alison will be on her monthly cycle throwing Vinnie Evil's.

Update on Norm

Yes folks, as you are aware, Norm is on yet another mission. I had to step in for one night only to re-leave AP of his duties so he can grovel to Norm apologising for some dodgy #VinB threads last week.
Norm is digging for some moles in a far flunk corner of Finland. He hopes to eradicate the threat he has been dealing with for a few weeks now. AP will be back tomorrow to continue the story.
To be Continued...

New political party launched - Irish News, World News & More | The Irish Times - Wed, Nov 14, 2012
Ganley may run again for Europe | The Sunday Times
Newstalk - Fianna Fail & Fine Gael neck and neck in polls

http://www.politics.ie/forum/oireachtas/194707-why-hasnt-new-political-party-arisen-mess-ireland.html
http://www.politics.ie/forum/political-reform/208655-declan-ganley-suggests-setting-up-another-political-party.html
http://www.politics.ie/forum/current-affairs/134220-how-do-new-political-parties-start-up.html

Previous #Vinb: http://www.politics.ie/forum/backstage/211086-vinb-thurs-23-05-13-multifarious-world-irish-politics.html

Online: Aertv | Watch Irish TV live online Or tv3 catch-up through: Catch-up TV, Entertainment, News, Sport, Soaps and all your favourite Irish and International shows from TV3

What Else is on?
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy - Sky Movies Comedy 22:00
(2004, Comedy) The chauvinistic host of a top-rated American news programme in 1970s San Diego fights for his status and job security when they are threatened by the arrival of an ambitious female reporter, whose determination to become a newsreader leads to a bitter battle of the sexes. Comedy, starring Will Ferrell, Christina Applegate, Fred Willard and Steve Carell.
The film was generally well received by critics with a 66% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Rus

Frank Galton

Vinnie should move with the times and do that topic jointly with a social media angle or other online outfit (e.g. politics.ie?) since the evidence from other European countries is that emerging parties have had a heavy social media/Internet presence that at 1st was not obvious in the party political structures.

DAZ14

Should be an interesting episode but if Ireland needs a new party, it needs a party with real plans and an economic vision as opposed to just a new party for the sake of it. Also, it is hard to see a new party doing well in Dail elections, maybe in locals, but how realistic is it that the political establishment can be challenged at their own game?

Sister Mercedes

I agree we need a new party. But I don't think Vincent and I would agree on its policies.

Mr. Bumble

Mattarigna

We don't need just one new political party - we need a entire new spectrum of political parties to replace the status quo political block that had ruled this country since it's foundation as an independent state.

Mattarigna

Should be an interesting episode but if Ireland needs a new party, it needs a party with real plans and an economic vision as opposed to just a new party for the sake of it.
Exactly. If a few well-known economists who do have alternative economic strategies ever got the balls to run, it could do the trick. But I think that whether the new party's policies, it needs to focus on curbing overspending and wastage, especially in the Department for Health, which is just insane at this stage.

artfoley56

can we have a game whereby when gilroy spouts patent nonsense that vinnie gets to slap him in the face with a wet fish

artfoley56

oh yes, and well done rus on the early thread. no frills, no dancing girls, just early info

dizillusioned

Update on Norm? Norm is digging for Moles? Hardly!! Saw him earlier leggy blonds hanging out of him, bet that is not called looking for your mole in Finland!

Porkypie

We don't need just one new political party - we need a entire new spectrum of political parties to replace the status quo political block that had ruled this country since it's foundation as an independent state.
WE need to rid ourselves of the police state that has undermined our democracy. Don't vote for any past or present government TDs. That way we can start the change we craved for at the last round of empty promises.

shiel

We needed a new party back in 2000 or so.

But the insider elite had cornered the media coverage back then and we now have a bankrupt country.

What does a new party do for policies in a country in which johny foreigner is keeping the holes in the wall open?

Why did the bollixes who are now calling for a new party not set one up back then to prevent the country going broke?

What were they doing then?

Cheer leading the status quo and telling 'whingers' who challenged the status quo to commit suicide?

LDF

There is space on the right of the political spectrum for a new party. I would subscribe to the theory that it would be better to wait until after the next election - when there's a good chance FG and FF will be in govt. That'll leave the field clear for an alternative centre right party committed to real economic reform.

shiel

WE need to rid ourselves of the police state that has undermined our democracy. Don't vote for any past or present government TDs. That way we can start the change we craved for at the last round of empty promises.
It was lack of regulation, lack of holding powerful people to account and an excess of arrogance that undermined our democracy.

Any new party will promise the sun and the earth. Otherwise they will not be elected.

IrishWelshCelt

I agree we need a new party. But I don't think Vincent and I would agree on its policies.
I saw him speaking at UCD a few months back and hes surprisingly left wing in his views. He spent 30 minutes of his appearance talking about the need for redistribution of wealth.

Sister Mercedes

I saw him speaking at UCD a few months back and hes surprisingly left wing in his views. He spent 30 minutes of his appearance talking about the need for redistribution of wealth.
The surprise is that he only spent 30 minutes talking about it.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies