• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

#VINB Thur 15/11/2012: Do we need abortion legislation?

Norman Bates

Twitter
norman60bates

Clare Daly, ULA TD Dublin North Clare Daly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Berry Kiely, Medical Adviser to Pro Life Campaign Pro Life Campaign National Seminar 2012 | |
Niamh Ní Bhriain, Life Institute Self-styled liberals refuse to recognise the devastating realities of abortion - The Irish Times - Wed, Jul 04, 2012
Alison O‘Connor, Irish Independent Alison O’Connor: Let's finally talk about abortion with some calm - Analysis, Opinion - Independent.ie

Following on from last night’s show on Savita Halappanavar RIP, tonight #VINB looks at what we as a nation should do now. Do we need abortion legislation? Clare Daly introduced a Private Members Bill earlier in the year which may have gone most of the way to help the present situation. It was rejected. But with the benefit of hindsight should her Bill have got a bit more support than it did?

The whole subject of abortion is such an emotive one in Ireland that any move on the abortion issue will be met with a very veriferous voice opposing any relaxation in our present legislation - however inadequate it is. What can we do in the future, especially as the members of the Oireachtas seem quite happy to just sit on their hands over this issue?

There should be an interesting level-headed debate on this thorny subject. Let’s hope Vinny steers the show on an even keel tonight as he did last night …

Pop Life » Savita Halappanavar
Savita Halappanavar's parents slam Irish abortion laws | NDTV.com
Attempts to ease India concerns over Savita Halappanavar death - RT News
Gilmore seeks 'clarity' on abortion - The Irish Times - Thu, Nov 15, 2012
Dáil rejects abortion Bill | BreakingNews.ie
Reilly opposes abortion Bill - The Irish Times - Wed, Apr 18, 2012

http://www.politics.ie/forum/health-social-affairs/200088-woman-dies-galway-hospital-after-being-refused-termination.html
http://www.politics.ie/forum/justice/200208-would-you-sacrifice-few-pregnant-womens-lives-ensure-our-abortions-were-conducted-england-rather-than-ireland.html
http://www.politics.ie/forum/justice/200016-should-woman-only-have-equal-right-life-her-foetus-unborn-child.html
http://www.politics.ie/forum/events/200064-savita-candle-lit-vigil-saturday-17th-november-4-pm-garden-remembrance.html

Paper preview:
David Burke, Editor Tuam Herald

Previous #VINBs: http://www.politics.ie/forum/backstage/200116-vinb-wed-14-11-2012-savita-halappanavar-rip.html
http://www.politics.ie/forum/backstage/195102-vinb-fintan-o-toole-tue-28-8-2012-abortion-legislation-referendum.html
http://www.politics.ie/forum/backstage/193260-vinb-mon-23-7-2012-abortion-law-rift-government.html

Online: Aertv | Watch Irish TV live online Or tv3 catch-up through: Catch-up TV, Entertainment, News, Sport, Soaps and all your favourite Irish and International shows from TV3

<< Backstagers is a new, Invite-yourself Group on this site for anyone who has contributed to a Backstage thread, like this one. Why not join? Click on Groups, click Backstagers, click Join, and away you go … Oh!, and you can always leave if you don’t like what you see. >>

Last edited:

And So I Said

We may legislation to protect mothers.

We don't need legislation to introduce de facto abortion on demand.

Bud Light

Now is hardly the time to have a calm rational debate on the abortion issue.

ger12

Legislators aren't necessarily the ones most fit to be determining one-size-fits-all moral matters. I mean, mediocre educated, muck-savage politicians are in the business of populism; not doing what's right. If you "legislate" (or clarify) for abortion, you run the risk of opening up the floodgates to abortion-on-demand. All the expert advice says that there are no circumstances in which abortion is required to save the life of the mother.
BS

mcdonald douglas

The West,America and western Europe have accepted and advocate liberal cultural Marxism.Southern Ireland must be brought into line with this destruction of western civilization.Abortion on demand is the final frontier.

And So I Said

Legislators aren't necessarily the ones most fit to be determining one-size-fits-all moral matters. I mean, mediocre educated, muck-savage politicians are in the business of populism; not doing what's right. If you "legislate" (or clarify) for abortion, you run the risk of opening up the floodgates to abortion-on-demand. All the expert advice says that there are no circumstances in which abortion is required to save the life of the mother.
Abortion supporters seem to think the more abortion the better - for any reason at any stage.

This isn't about protecting mothers - it is about whipping up enough emotion to introduce de facto abortion on demand.

mcdonald douglas

You can never have a calm rational debate , you can bury it like successive governments have done , perhaps thats what you would like ?.
The Eu should cut all funding including farm payments until this backward little hole is dragged into the 21st century .
The EU should cut funding??????????? Until the EUSSR is satisfied those backward paddies are brought into line.Wake up.

pedagogus

You can never have a calm rational debate , you can bury it like successive governments have done , perhaps thats what you would like ?.
The Eu should cut all funding including farm payments until this backward little hole is dragged into the 21st century .
If abortion on demand was a benchmark of high civilization then Stalin's Russia was the the high point of human history given its huge abortion rate.of course putin's regime is up there as well since it scores so highly on this acid test of advanced socio-political development.

ger12

ger12

I was just thinking that myself. Usually the #VINB thread is a lightheated, fun-loving type thread, but I'm not sure about tonight ... Think maybe I'll have to ask for mod reinforcements tonight. :cool:
Apologies Norm.

carlovian

I was just thinking that myself. Usually the #VINB thread is a lightheated, fun-loving type thread, but I'm not sure about tonight ... Think maybe I'll have to ask for mod reinforcements tonight. :cool:
Great op.

Good luck with the hope for a calm rational debate though.

Be lucky if there isn't a riot on the thread even before the programme begins.