• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

#VINB Thur 29/11/2012: A day in the life of the Irish Times

Norman Bates

Twitter
norman60bates

I’m not really sure what to expect from this #VINB show tonight. Details are scant. What I can say is that Vinny goes inside the Irish Times to see:
* how paper is made
* who sets agenda and why
* how it’s doing in current media environment.

Whether, that is the show or if it’s followed by a panel debate or goes straight into tomorrow’s newspapers with maybe a resume of today‘s news stories, I don’t know. You know Vinny. You can guess yourself. Nevertheless, the filmed report should contain a head-to-head with our dear departed leader, Dave Cochrane. OMG I just had a bad thought - I hope Dave’s musings don’t end up on the cutting-room floor. Should be an interesting enough show - different anyway - and maybe it’s just as well to have a bit of a break before our heads are wrecked completely with the Budget 2013 onslaught next week.

Ready when you are, Mr D. Cochrane

... ah! yes, Vinny wants to talk about the Recession too.

Lisa-Marie Berry, #VINB Producer http://www.rte.ie/rose07/wicklow.html
James Downey, Former IT  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Downey_(journalist)
Deirdre O‘Shausnessy, Cork Independent  http://corkindependent.com/blog/author/deshocks/

Previous #VINB: http://www.politics.ie/forum/backstage/201233-vinb-wed-28-11-2012-fianna-fail-s-pre-budget-2013-submission.html

Online: Aertv | Watch Irish TV live online Or tv3 catch-up through: Catch-up TV, Entertainment, News, Sport, Soaps and all your favourite Irish and International shows from TV3

<< Backstagers is a new, Invite-yourself Group on this site for anyone who has contributed to a Backstage thread, like this one. Why not join? Click on Groups, click Backstagers, click Join, and away you go … Oh!, and you can always leave if you don’t like what you see. >>

Last edited:

ger12

You feeling festive already Norm?

Ryan Tubbs

Another part of the latest Irish Times advertising campaign?

The Irish Times: The Story of Why (.....you'll be switching to the Irish Independent)

jmcc

Could be interesting. Though Vinnie might well concentrate on the political side of things rather than on the messes that the Irish Times made in property (Property Bubble) and technology (DotCom bubble, the non-profit website, MyHome.ie). DC's view on how the Irish Times is doing in the Social Media will have a certain strangeness to it.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc

Another part of the latest Irish Times advertising campaign?

The Irish Times: The Story of Why (.....you'll be switching to the Irish Independent)
Or more aptly, 'The story of WTF'. The Irish Times really needs to do some effective marketing as its sales went under the 100K mark some time ago. The ireland.com sale/deal will give it some breathing room but the whole print news media section in Ireland is under a lot of strain at the moment and with most of the news free online, people who would ordinarily have bought a daily newspaper might consider it an unnecessary expense.

Regards...jmcc

ottovonbismarck

Could be interesting. Though Vinnie might well concentrate on the political side of things rather than on the messes that the Irish Times made in property (Property Bubble) and technology (DotCom bubble, the non-profit website, MyHome.ie). DC's view on how the Irish Times is doing in the Social Media will have a certain strangeness to it.

Regards...jmcc
Vinny doesn't really function well outside of the studio or conference environment. I betcha beaker would love to be there!

Regards...jmce

sethjem7

Sounds like one of those filler episodes with industry people talking about themselves.

wombat

Just turned on RTE talk show - John Waters wants to know who are the cranks?, must be going to lead them in a new party:lol:

ger12

Just turned on RTE talk show - John Waters wants to know who are the cranks?, must be going to lead them in a new party:lol:
The Late Debate. The Labour chap is fairly getting roasted.

jmcc

He might have to have a chat with Fintan O'Toole - I believe he has some limited expertise in that matter.

Regards...jmcc

Cruimh

<< Backstagers is a new, Invite-yourself Group on this site for anyone who has contributed to a Backstage thread, like this one. Why not join? Click on Groups, click Backstagers, click Join, and away you go … Oh!, and you can always leave if you don’t like what you see. >>
The membership list alone .... some awful bollixes in there ;)

jmcc

The Late Debate. The Labour chap is fairly getting roasted.
Well it is the season for it - chestnuts roasting on an open fire. :) Is the Labour guy getting roasted over the legislation or Reilly/Shortall?

Regards...jmcc

oggy

Its 25 years since I bought a copy of the Irish Times. Like a lot of posters here today I once thought I had a view on everything and I got this notion trying to look intelligent by reading the paper. First lost interest in the Irish Times and all newspapers followed and its in last two years or so I started buying the Indo on Saturday for the tv supplement to cover the week.
What really put me off was the belief that rarely if ever what was said in newspapers had any relevance when it came to opinions. Yes hard news is inportant but japers what journalist from any newspaper ever came out with something that left a lasting impression.
Vinnie promoting his paper for me is a bad reflection on the Irish Times and tells me the dire straits the paper is in

ger12

Well it is the season for it - chestnuts roasting on an open fire. :) Is the Labour guy getting roasted over the legislation or Reilly/Shortall?

Regards...jmcc
Neither. Banks, bailouts and property tax. Jaysus, there must be some crack/tension when the Labour party boys and girls meet up.

lying eyes

I am not sure that I would enjoy being showed the -Old Ladys - Privatre Bits?????

borntorum

I wonder will he ask them why all the major political stories are broken by the Indo these days.

I won't be watching to find out.

Neutron

The Vin B show is getting worse.

Ive noticed lately TV3 appears to have gone soft on this government, be it the news or other shows like Midweek and Vin B.

I wonder have they got their bailout yet?

jmcc

Neither. Banks, bailouts and property tax. Jaysus, there must be some crack/tension when the Labour party boys and girls meet up.
The risk from splinters must be high. :) It is like the Labour grassroots have become detatched from the Labour/Stickie management. The Labour party might be at more risk from its own members than the electorate.

Regards...jmcc