• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

#VINB Tue 4/6/2013: Alcohol sponsorship of sport

Norman Bates

Twitter
norman60bates

Rolande Anderson, Alcohol/Addiction Councillor Rolande Anderson | Alcohol & Addiction Counsellor
Shane Byrne, Former Irish rugby hooker Shane Byrne (rugby union) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sarah O’Connor, Chief Exacutive, The Federation Of Irish Sport Staff | Federation of Irish Sport
Róisín Shortall, Independent TD Dublin North West Róisín Shortall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Independent (former Labour) TD Róisín Shortall says the link needs to be broken between sport and the promotion of alcohol and difficulty lies in the return alcohol industries receive in sponsoring sports events.
She says alcohol industries have access to promotional opportunities and marketing which then promotes excessive drinking, especially among young people.

The Irish Rugby Fooball Union said the withdrawal of sponsorship by drinks companies of sporting events would leave a gap in revenue that could not be replaced and criticised the Department of Health for failing to work with sporting organisations.

Media reports suggest that new legislative proposals circulated in Government by Minister of State Alex White would outlaw all drink sponsorship of large sports events by 2020 and ban new sponsorship contracts from 2016. It is understood arts and cultural festivals would be exempt from the ban. Ms Shortall said she believed the phasing out of such sponsorship by 2020 was reasonable, saying it would allow sports organisations to find alternative sponsors.

So, tonight Vinny looks at this “complex issue”, as Leo Varadkar describes it, with a panel which includes Róisín Shotall … Should be a good show with many tackles … might even get down and dirty …

Alcohol sponsorship of sport 'a complex issue' | Irish Examiner
Shortall wants alcohol sport sponsor link ended - RTÉ News
Banning alcohol sponsorship of sport is ‘based on opinion, not evidence’
Alcohol advertising - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Government report proposes curbs on price of alcohol and ban on sporting sponsorship by 2016 | Politics.ie News
http://www.politics.ie/forum/current-affairs/208452-oireachteas-debate-alcohol-sponsorship-sport.html

Paper preview:
Colette Browne, Columnist Irish Examiner https://twitter.com/colettebrowne

Online: Aertv | Watch Irish TV live online Or tv3 catch-up through: Catch-up TV, Entertainment, News, Sport, Soaps and all your favourite Irish and International shows from TV3

<< A big Thank You to Astral Peaks and ruserious for starting the #VINB threads for the past fortnight and overcoming the many technical problems encountered. >>

Norman Bates

Twitter
norman60bates
Competition especially for #VINB threads,

To celebrate our 40th anniversary of joining the European Community in 1973 we have this artistic work of art of Manneken Pis in Brussels dressed as a Paddy [I don’t know why there is no orange]. This is high quality art and will give hours, even days, of pleasure no matter where you hang it up - the kitchen, the hallway, the living room, even the bathroom, as you gaze in wonderment on it in appreciation of all the wonderful things the EU has done to you.

Entry is simple, if you would like your #VINB post considered as a wonderful post just type PIS at the end of your post. The decision to award a prize is by a specially appointed judging panel of myself, Astral Peaks and ruserious whose decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into. Get that!

Full instructions will be provided to all winning entries on how to get the best use out of this delightful print.

Last edited:

kkkkkkkkkk

the IRFU are getting very worried

shane byrne on the panel also

jpc

Shorthall and White are the typical earnest lefty agitators.
Ban and get rid of things they don't like but no viable alternatives to replace what they get rid of.
Then you hear .
"Oh but look at whats happening on the streets of Ireland every week end"
But why don't you give the GS and the courts the tools to deal with gobshytes acting the maggot acting the maggot in a fast and effective manner?
No we'll tax the some of the highest priced alcohol higher!
Work of Genius.
How will drink sponsorship be replaced in the worst depression since the 30's?
Don't worry us with the situation we have our minds made up.
We know whats best!:roll:

Last edited:

Ribeye

There's a bar in the Dail,

"No animal shall sleep in a bed...............with sheets"

Stop trying to ban stuff ye horrid little troll!

publicrealm

Shorthall and White are the typical earnest lefty agitators.
Ban and get rid of things they don't like but no viable alternatives to replace what they get rid of.
I'm not sure that it will have the effect they apparently desire - a reduction in harmful drinking.

Is there any evidence supporting this?

Astral Peaks

Competition especially for #VINB threads,

To celebrate our 40th anniversary of joining the European Community in 1973 we have this artistic work of art of Manneken Pis in Brussels dressed as a Paddy [I don’t know why there is no orange]. This is high quality art and will give hours, even days, of pleasure no matter where you hang it up - the kitchen, the hallway, the living room, even the bathroom, as you gaze in wonderment on it in appreciation of all the wonderful things the EU has done to you.

Entry is simple, if you would like your #VINB post considered as a wonderful post just type PIS at the end of your post. The decision to award a prize is by a specially appointed judging panel of myself, Astral Peaks and ruserious whose decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into. Get that!

Full instructions will be provided to all winning entries on how to get the best use out of this delightful print.
Posts made from tonight forwards only. No retrospective P1Ssing, okay?

jpc

I'm not sure that it will have the effect they apparently desire - a reduction in harmful drinking.

Is there any evidence supporting this?
Don't worry about that!
They are engaged in lefty class warfare posturing as much as anything else.
Let the rugby playing elites get stuffed.
You don't vote Labour anyway!
Probably as cynical as that underneath the veneer.

ned green

Roisin is not an"Independent" TD,she is still a member of the Labour Party,herself Keavney,Broughan and Nulty have lost the parlimentary party whip,none of them have been expelled or resigned from Labour.In fact Keavney is still party chairman,much to the embarrassment of Gimmemore and the rest of the Stickies.

jpc

There's a bar in the Dail,

"No animal shall sleep in a bed...............with sheets"

Stop trying to ban stuff ye horrid little troll!
Amazing they don't lead by example for sure!
But that would mean doing things their chums at the club might find objectionable in the main.
Lefty posture politics dressed up in concern for the unwashed masses who can't be left to take responsibility for their own actions.

Norman Bates

Twitter
norman60bates
Roisin is not an"Independent" TD,she is still a member of the Labour Party,herself Keavney,Broughan and Nulty have lost the parlimentary party whip,none of them have been expelled or resigned from Labour.In fact Keavney is still party chairman,much to the embarrassment of Gimmemore and the rest of the Stickies.
I take your point. Wikipedia describes her as independent - I am sure Shortall can easily get it changed if she doesn't like that description. Shorall's own twitter account contains no party affiliation.

Ribeye

It's also such a moronic plan. It would have absolutly no effect on people's drinking habits,

If they really wanted to take a principled stand, they would just been in total prohibition,

And if that ever happens, you can expect to see my face plastered all over the front page of the Sunday World above a caption saying...

"Look at me Rex Banner, I'v got a new hat":)

constitutionus

ah jaysus this looks dull beyond belief !

unless vinny mangages to steer this off in a mad direction i dont expect much to come out of this one.

Norman Bates

Twitter
norman60bates
Not sure if we're going to have a very exciting debate ... this tweet from

Shane Byrne ‏@shanebyrneoffic 1h
On the way to @TonightWithVinB. To debate the drinks sponsorship ban. Any opinions out there for or against? I'm not a fan but would listen.

an hour ago.

ned green

I take your point. Wikipedia describes her as independent - I am sure Shortall can easily get it changed if she doesn't like that description. Shorall's own twitter account contains no party affiliation.
I'm not one bit surprised that she and did others hide their Labour membership,as come the next election,anyone running under the Labour banner will be akin to wearing an albatross around their necks.

Mountaintop

Not sure if we're going to have a very exciting debate ... this tweet from

Shane Byrne ‏@shanebyrneoffic 1h
On the way to @TonightWithVinB. To debate the drinks sponsorship ban. Any opinions out there for or against? I'm not a fan but would listen.

an hour ago.
The more I hear from this guy....the more I begin to think he may actually have been sober when he got that haircut...

carlovian

great op norm

Wasnt going to watch but Vinnies hair cut may be hypnotic.

Plus Roisin may stick the boot in about something or other.