Vincent Browne last night

hammer

Are Fianna FAIL going to turn on Paul Somerville now?

Like they turned on the legend David McWilliams :)

In the conference call to Bond Holders Lendahand "supposedly" said that deposits would not leave Irish Banks as " we are an island "

Did he intend tolling the front entrances of all the banks and closing all the airports & ports to suitcases full of cash :) :) :)

Paul needs to don the green jersey !!!!!! Stop making our future leader of Fianna FAIL out as a fool.

MPB

In the conference call to Bond Holders Lendahand "supposedly" said that deposits would not leave Irish Banks as " we are an island "

Did he intend tolling the front entrances of all the banks and closing all the airports & ports to suitcases full of cash :) :) :)

Paul needs to don the green jersey !!!!!! Stop making our future leader of Fianna FAIL out as a fool.
Come on Hammer. Have you ever found a tenner in your jeans after they have come out of the wash.

Mush.

Lenihan knows what he is talking about. The man is a legend. FF knew what they were doing when they got Sisk to build that big moat.

hammer

:)

Wow 2 comments.

Surely this must rank up there as the most incompetent statement ever made, this from a Belvedere genius that admitted raising the Vat rate to 21.5% cost us €800 million :) :0 :)

ellie08

Has he not heard of internet banking and electronic transfers or does he think everyone goes round with big briefcases of cash? You don't even have to get out of your chair to transfer funds.

hammer

He is our Minister of Finance. Transactions in a Fianna FAIL world could possibly involve cash, i just don`t know :)

ChickenBiryani

Has he not heard of internet banking and electronic transfers or does he think everyone goes round with big briefcases of cash? You don't even have to get out of your chair to transfer funds.
Well it seems thats what a lot of politicans and county councillors and planning officials do when they win loads of money on the horses.

ellie08

Well it seems thats what a lot of politicans and county councillors and planning officials do when they win loads of money on the horses.
Oh, yes, I forgot. Just as all the best people are in NAMA, the creme de la creme deal in cash following in the great tradition of the movers and shakers in our travelling community.

Expatriot

We are NOT an Island.

Pharaoh

Kind of disturbing to see how emotional Paul Somerville got on VB last night.

It sort of mirrors the general air of desperation/panic that has set in over the last few weeks.

His remark about the minister calling in the ESB ceo and instructing him to come up with a plan to reduce electricity prices is interesting in that it is the completely obvious thing to do in the sort of crisis we are in.
The frustrating thing is that even though everyone knows that it should be done, they also know that it won't be done because they are such a powerful vested interest.
I know the regulator recently ordered them to reduce their payroll by 5% but they will probably dish out a few juicy redundancy/early retirement packages to get around this.

I'm wondering why no journo has ever done an in depth look at the ESB payroll setup. I have a few relatives in there and the salaries at all levels are astronomical. The expenses, allowances, lump sum payments etc... would make a TD green with envy.

James Healy

Lenihan and FF try and put down anyone who tells them the truth if its not to their lioking. Look what (t)he tried on David McWilliams, Morgan Kelly and others.

neutral_lurker

It sort of mirrors the general air of desperation/panic that has set in over the last few weeks.

His remark about the minister calling in the ESB ceo and instructing him to come up with a plan to reduce electricity prices is interesting in that it is the completely obvious thing to do in the sort of crisis we are in.
yes I agree he seemed at his wit's end and when he spoke about Lenny's "Ireland is an island" he really looked on the edge.
I felt more worried after watching and hearing that - even Vinnie was convinced it was a joke.

Lenny and Cowen reallly have turned us into a world wide laugh ing stock - and now they don't even pretend to have ahandle on things biggest bluffers on history (poker players extraordinaire)

SeanieFitz

Kind of disturbing to see how emotional Paul Somerville got on VB last night[/QUOTE

i was thinking the same thing and i was a little cynical as to how genuine he was until he said that piece about the telephone call. i sat there with my mouth open and stared at the tv, even VB looked shocked!

a real GUBU moment for me

hammer

Ireland is an Island :)

I didn`t read the PwC report on Anglo and new nothing of the PTSB "deposits"

€500 billion bank guarantee

Bank bailout wont cost us a penny

It was an error to increase the Vat rate. It cost us €800m

FFS - He is even worse than the fat guy that enjoys a few pints !!!!

irishpancake

After all, we can’t all live on a small island. Puff, Puff!

Some kinda Lenihan family obsession with living on an Island, as Brian Sr. was well known for his famous Emigration statement from the 80's Recession:

Interviewed in Oct. 1987, Newsweek

Q. “Isn’t emigration a defeat for the Irish people?

A. “I don’t look on the type of emigration we have today as being of the same category as the terrible emigration in the last century. What we now have is a very literate emigrant who thinks nothing of coming to the United States and going back to Ireland again. The younger people in Ireland today are very much in that mode. And it’s very refreshing to see it. If future legislation in the Congress will acknowledge the skills and the capacities of Irish emigrants and grant legal status to allow entry to qualified jobs, we will have a mobile labour market stretching from the US to Ireland to the European Community where we can participate and contribute fully…”

Q. “What can these emigrants offer Ireland?”

A. “They should do what they have to do. The world is now one world and they can always return to Ireland with the skills they have developed. We regard them as part of a global generation of Irish people. We shouldn’t be defeated or pessimistic about it. We should be proud of it. After all, we can’t all live on a small island”.

hammer

Paul Somerville also mentioned that deposits were leaving our shores, maybe in submarines but they were definitely leaving.

This will put huge pressure on bank re-funding and therefore on the exchequer.

When are the next audited accounts due for the major banks?

TODevastated

Paul Somerville also mentioned that deposits were leaving our shores, maybe in submarines but they were definitely leaving.

This will put huge pressure on bank re-funding and therefore on the exchequer.

When are the next audited accounts due for the major banks?
BOI year end is 31/12/2010 so prelim results out in March 2011
AIB year end is also 31/12/2010 so prelim results expected March 2011

The Cat

The frustrating thing is that even though everyone knows that it should be done, they also know that it won't be done because they are such a powerful vested interest.
I know the regulator recently ordered them to reduce their payroll by 5% but they will probably dish out a few juicy redundancy/early retirement packages to get around this.

I'm wondering why no journo has ever done an in depth look at the ESB payroll setup. I have a few relatives in there and the salaries at all levels are astronomical. The expenses, allowances, lump sum payments etc... would make a TD green with envy.
The ESB has no control over it's prices. It is forced to keep it's prices high to facilitate "competition". It will not be ALLOWED to lower it's prices until the "competion" has established a sufficient market share.

New Threads

Most Replies