• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Vincent Browne's Politico website

Design for Life

Politico

A message was shown on the village.ie website a month or so ago saying that there'd be a new site with archived copies of Magill, Nusight and Village as well as Browne's TV3 show. Now village.ie is redirecting to politico.ie.

You gotta sign up for the back issues but there's still some that are viewable and all of Browne's SBusPost and IT articles are up there as well as laods of the TV3 show.

The site's alright but it's got a weird kind of blandness that makes it almost look like it's a fake site. I've emailed thema few times asking how long it's been up and is it permanent but no reply. The whole thing is just a bit odd. It wasn't until Browne plugged it last night that it got a bit of legitimacy imo.

Apparently he's going to be publishing emails and texts sent in to the show and then do a blog addressing them or something.

Dunno, good site and worth a look if you can handle the layout. The addition of the TV3 episodes is very good as TV3's own site is riddled with flashing ads and shit

TommyO'Brien

If Browne has anything to do with it it will no doubt lose pots of money and have to be closed down, like his other ventures!

Ecoguy

I would find this interesting if I placed any store whatsoever in Vincent Browne's opinion or judgement.

He's a Dunphy. Entertaining for all the wrong reasons.
As a FFailer, no doubt Myarse and Eoghan Arris would be more your cup of tea:rolleyes::rolleyes

AlanOB

Website
thunderingdisgrace.blogspot.com
At which point did I nail my colours to the FF mast exactly?

Careless assumptions really make people look stupid.

Also, as it happens I have as much respect for Eoghan Harris as I do the kid in my class at school who supported Man U one week and Liverpool the next.

Design for Life

At which point did I nail my colours to the FF mast exactly?

Careless assumptions really make people look stupid.

Also, as it happens I have as much respect for Eoghan Harris as I do the kid in my class at school who supported Man U one week and Liverpool the next.
No c'mon, Vincent is more than just a Dunphy. The guy's a great journalist and excellent polemicist.

He's pointed out quite rightly how our political system is just a game of power grab. It's got nothing to do with policies because all the party's policies are so damn similar/essentially the same.

He's damn right there. Maybe FG are a little more right wing than FF and they wouldn't even entertain the social partnership thing but FF used that as a means of hegemony to keep the labour force in check. Labour were competing for the same populist votes so they've always just gone along with whatever the other two said and changed the wording around.

Design for Life

Same with politicians and economists who had their fingers over their eyes and in their ears before the "crisis".

Design for Life

That's the only measure (raising taxes) no one is willing to entertain. Again, he's right and I agree with the man.

No one is entertaining it cause all three parties are more or less the same.

AlanOB

Website
Well then you're wrong. So very, very wrong.

We already have one of the most progressive tax systems in the world. The top 10% of earners pay three quarters of the income tax in this country. FACT.

Add to that the fact that raising income taxes further on any class of people, hurts consumption, and only serves to diminish the tax take in the long run.

This is not just my opinion. There is significant precedent especially in this country to support this.

It is on the spending side that the axe must fall. It is on the spending side that things have got wildly out of control, particularly in the last 5-6 years.

Mar Tweedy

Well then you're wrong. So very, very wrong.

We already have one of the most progressive tax systems in the world. The top 10% of earners pay three quarters of the income tax in this country. FACT.

Add to that the fact that raising income taxes further on any class of people, hurts consumption, and only serves to diminish the tax take in the long run.

This is not just my opinion. There is significant precedent especially in this country to support this.

It is on the spending side that the axe must fall. It is on the spending side that things have got wildly out of control, particularly in the last 5-6 years.
If our system of tax is so progressive, how come we our so far down the ranks in terms of inequality across society?

It the inequality thats the issue. The greater the inequality in a society, the sicker the society in terms of health, crime and social mobility. Its not just the poorest who suffer. In more unequal societies the richer ones also suffer from poorer health. I take it as an optimistic view of humanity that really inequality does not sit well with us - we have an intrinsic sense of fairness.
See the book The Spirit Level. The one that VB mentions alot!

AlanOB

Website
I saw the show he did on that topic/book.

The book only deals with free, open, market economy countries.

Take a look at countries in the past and present where everyone truly was kept equal.

They were real happy folks.

And by the way, our tax system is one of the most progressive among the OECD nations:

Second only to the US.

Design for Life

So both free market economy countries and other countries past and present that are all equal means that people are happy ? Well yeah, that's the point!

Ireland became more unequal during its boom years.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies