Violence in Chile

Barroso

While here in Europe, the Spanish police went on a rampage through Barcelona and other Catalan cities, in Chile things are even worse.
The president - I've heard him described as "son of Pinochet" - has called out the army who have shot and murdered people in cold blood. There is a compilation of these acts here. Not for the faint-hearted.
With Pinochet's dictatorship in the not so distant past, this is a particularly unfortunate move, and will bring back appalling memories for many. Those who didn't live through those times will have grown up with stories of the mass murder that Pinochet unleased on the country, as well as the generalised repression of those years.
With troops on the streets, it is but a small step to suspending the constitution - because after the bloodshed, the president will either have to resign or dig in; hopefully it will be the former.

Barroso

So which of them do you think deserved to die?
Do you think that Pinochet was right to murder thousands too?

making waves

The legacy of the first 9/11 is etched in the memory of the Chilean working class.

making waves

Murders by either side wont solve any of Chile's problems!
its not murder when you are forced to defend yourself against the actions of a right-wing billionaire government of Pinera. The state is putting troops on the streets to smash the protest movement.

This is the balance sheet -

police 800 injured - according to the police - of whom 55 have suffered serious injuries.

protestors - 20 people killed and 1,233 people hospitalised - 37 with gunshot wounds - 140 with eye injuries from rubber bullets of which 26 have lost eye sight - 92 people have been tortured by the police and 18 people raped. One male medical student is in critical condition after being arrested, tortured for ten hours and then raped.

More than 1million took to the streets of Santiago last weekend - they will not stop.

Catahualpa

Website
irelandinhistory.blogspot.com
its not murder when you are forced to defend yourself against the actions of a right-wing billionaire government of Pinera. The state is putting troops on the streets to smash the protest movement.

This is the balance sheet -

police 800 injured - according to the police - of whom 55 have suffered serious injuries.

protestors - 20 people killed and 1,233 people hospitalised - 37 with gunshot wounds - 140 with eye injuries from rubber bullets of which 26 have lost eye sight - 92 people have been tortured by the police and 18 people raped. One male medical student is in critical condition after being arrested, tortured for ten hours and then raped.

More than 1million took to the streets of Santiago last weekend - they will not stop.
If they engage in Peaceful Protest then I am right behind them

- but I seriously doubt that all have or intend to....

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The 'School of the Americas' stuff? I seem to recall reading that the US had a sort of training college for various military-minded maniacs from South and Central America which basically was a university for techniques of repression.

making waves

If they engage in Peaceful Protest then I am right behind them

- but I seriously doubt that all have or intend to....
What do you suggest - stand with your hands in the air while the police are shooting rubber bullets at your face.

Barroso

Given the situation in various Latin American countries, from the recent coup d’État in Bolivia, the imprisonment of Lula in Brazil so that he could not be a candidate in last year’s presidential elections, the various attempted coups d’état in Venezuela & Nicaragua, the effective coup d’état in Ecuador, and the state violence in Chile, it is not surprising that there has been a large response to all this repression, and that the response has come in various forms.

Just a week ago, a friend in Spain sent me a video of a group of women in Chile who were denouncing rape and violence against women. This is in the form of a street performance, and is one of the most moving collective actions that I have come across; and I am definitely not alone.

Although it is applicable to any country in the world, it refers specifically to the situation in Chile where several women have been “disappeared”, murdered, raped over the past weeks; in many cases they were last seen being taken away by the police or military. This is why the song includes a verse from the police anthem saying “sleep easy little girl, you are protected by the police”.

From it’s beginning last week, it has spread across Latin America, and mass performances have been carried out in many cities there. It has also spread to Spain, France, Germany, GB, the US, Australia and doubtless many more parts of the world.

Enjoy the video. And don’t be surprised if it comes to a town near you!

Barroso

The lyrics of the song, in Spanish. The piece in bold is from the police anthem.

El patriarcado es un juez,

que nos juzga por nacer

y nuestro castigo

es la violencia que no ves.

El patriarcado es un juez,

que nos juzga por nacer

y nuestro castigo

es la violencia que ya ves.

Es feminicidio

Impunidad para el asesino

Es la desaparición

Es la violación

Y la culpa no era mía, ni dónde estaba, ni cómo vestía

Y la culpa no era mía, ni dónde estaba , ni cómo vestía

El violador eras tú

El violador eres tú

Son los pacos (policías)

Los jueces

El estado

El presidente

El estado opresor es un macho violador

El estado opresor es un macho violador

El violador eras tú

El violador eres tú

Duerme tranquila niña inocente,

sin preocuparte del bandolero,

que por tus sueños dulce

y sonriente vela tu amante carabinero.

El violador eres tú

El violador eres tú

El violador eres tú

El violador eres tú

Barroso

And here is a version of the lyrics in English. Again, the words in bold are from the Chilean police anthem.

Patriarchy is a judge
that judges us for being born
and our punishment
is the violence you don’t see.

Patriarchy is a judge
that judges us for being born
and our punishment
is the violence you have seen.

It’s femicide.
Impunity for the killer.
It’s disappearance.
It’s rape.