• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

"Viper Foley debt collecting(!!!) in Kerry" Ferris

SinnShane

Martin Ferris says, "It has come to my attention that some people are employing the services of known criminals as debt collectors to pursue people in this constituency. One of these criminals is Martin “Viper” Foley who has been in the debt collecting business for quite a while. Unfortunately, because there is little regulation and no code of conduct for debt collecting in this state, anybody, including known criminals, can set up legitimate debt collecting companies and are free to use whatever tactics they can get away with"
Martin

While the government is busy selling the sovereignty of this state to protect the vulture investors who bought up third-rate Irish banking debt at a discount and are hoping to get paid in full, our own 'rogue creditors' are rampant at home and acting with total impunity...

Well done to Martin Ferris for raising his head above the parapet on this one.

corelli

It never ceases to amaze me the brazen cheek of former members of this countries biggest criminal orginisation ever pontificating about criminals extracting monies with menaces.

On the other hand, he should know all about it.

jpc

Yep! those individuals have been operating in Cork too and they are well intimidating.
The law were chasing them around after reports of the visits.

SinnShane

It never ceases to amaze me the brazen cheek of former members of this countries biggest criminal orginisation ever pontificating about criminals extracting monies with menaces.

On the other hand, he should know all about it.
I reject that the Provisional IRA was a criminal organisation and I would point you to the actions in the H-Blocks of 1981 as proof. Criminals don't die on hunger strike for political reasons.
Republicans have always stepped up to the plate on criminality as Martin Ferris is doing here by highlighting this outrageous situation.

corelli

I reject that the Provisional IRA was a criminal organisation and I would point you to the actions in the H-Blocks of 1981 as proof. Criminals don't die on hunger strike for political reasons.
Republicans have always stepped up to the plate on criminality as Martin Ferris is doing here by highlighting this outrageous situation.
You do know how ridiculous that makes you sound?

Cabbage/Turnip

You do know how ridiculous that makes you sound?
no not at all... the same "criminals" are the reason you are not singing god save the queen just because she isnt in your back garden anymore doesnt make it wrong for the struggle to keep happening...

SinnShane

Yep! those individuals have been operating in Cork too and they are well intimidating.
The law were chasing them around after reports of the visits.
I don't doubt that they were intimidating. They're paid to bypass the normal etiquette of business. They need to be dealt with as ruthlessly as they themselves behave.
Unfortunately those with the power to do anything about it are too busy kissing the ass of their corporate equivilants.

Cabbage/Turnip

I don't doubt that they were intimidating. They're paid to bypass the normal etiquette of business. They need to be dealt with as ruthlessly as they themselves behave.
Unfortunately those with the power to do anything about it are too busy kissing the ass of their corporate equivilants.
What i dont understand is... if yous just tell them ************************ off ring the garda tell them a scumbag called to you door and if anything happens after words they know where to start

Kerrygold

What i dont understand is... if yous just tell them ************************ off ring the garda tell them a scumbag called to you door and if anything happens after words they know where to start
Easier said than done to be fair. If some thug calls to your door and you have yourself and your family to think about you might be a bit slow to say F Off.

disgruntledcitizen

well if former convicted criminals can run for and sit in the Dail, why can other former convicted criminals not operate a debt collecting agency, so long as it operates within the law of course ?

personally i believe that the law should be changed in both cases

Last edited:

Sync

Drug dealer in a hoody = criminal who shouldn't be allowed run a lawful business.
Murdering kidnapping drugdealers who wear a tricolour on their hoody = patriots.

Labelling named civilians as "criminals" is generally a bad idea, after they've served their time, particularly in this case. For instance, we'd all find it pretty stupid if Brian Cowen, David Cameron or Ian Paisley started referring to Martin McGuinness as a "The criminal Martin McGuinness" at all points. Or for Martin's political opponents calling him "The criminal Martin Ferris". Yet by Ferris' use of the language, he'd have no issue with it.

Fed Up

So Corelli, it's ok with you for Martin Foley to visit families demanding monies?

And by your logic, if a shinner see's a crime and reports it to the gardai the gardai should tell them where to go?

It matters not who reports a wrongdoing, what matters is that its reported and something is done about it.

Some Fine Gaelers are getting very tiresome and hypocritical. You lament parish pump politics while at the same time engaging in civil war politics.

I'm no fan of SF's policies and especially no fan of Ferris, but that does not mean we should instantly ignore any wrongdoing they highlight.

(Cue cries off 'well why don't they highlight X and Y by the IRA!'). It's irrelevant to this topic!

Last edited:

mickdotcom

These criminals should never have been let out of jail

there is no doubt about it- they are pure criminal scum.

and that goes for Foley as well.

realistic1

Martin Ferris says, "It has come to my attention that some people are employing the services of known criminals as debt collectors to pursue people in this constituency. One of these criminals is Martin “Viper” Foley who has been in the debt collecting business for quite a while. Unfortunately, because there is little regulation and no code of conduct for debt collecting in this state, anybody, including known criminals, can set up legitimate debt collecting companies and are free to use whatever tactics they can get away with"
Martin

While the government is busy selling the sovereignty of this state to protect the vulture investors who bought up third-rate Irish banking debt at a discount and are hoping to get paid in full, our own 'rogue creditors' are rampant at home and acting with total impunity...

Well done to Martin Ferris for raising his head above the parapet on this one.
Yea I have great respect for Martin Ferris and what he is highlighting above but some former comrades of him in neigbouring Limerick, have also gone into this Business. Hopefully Martin Ferris will condem them as well??? See thread I posted a few weeks back.

http://www.politics.ie/current-affairs/137790-career-change-former-republican.html

Kerrygold

Drug dealer in a hoody = criminal who shouldn't be allowed run a lawful business.
Murdering kidnapping drugdealers who wear a tricolour on their hoody = patriots.

Labelling named civilians as "criminals" is generally a bad idea, after they've served their time, particularly in this case. For instance, we'd all find it pretty stupid if Brian Cowen, David Cameron or Ian Paisley started referring to Martin McGuinness as a "The criminal Martin McGuinness" at all points. Or for Martin's political opponents calling him "The criminal Martin Ferris". Yet by Ferris' use of the language, he'd have no issue with it.
Martin McGuinness was never a criminal, just like Michael Collins was never a criminal.

Sync

So Corelli, it's ok with you for Martin Foley to visit families demanding monies?
Him as an individual? Yes. He's obeying the law and has set up a lawful business. I don't think former convicts should be allowed to do this and the law should have been changed ages ago. That it hasn't is not Martin Foley's fault, nor do I think he should be without a job in the event that new legislation is passed.

And by your logic, if a shinner see's a crime and reports it to the gardai the gardai should tell them where to go?
No one's said that at all. There's no crime here at all though.

I'm no fan of SF's policies and especially no fan of Ferris, but that does not mean we should instantly ignore any wrongdoing they highlight.

(Cue cries off 'well why don't they highlight X and Y by the IRA!'). It's irrelevant to this topic!
I agree with Ferris's sentiment, I don't agree with singling out an individual like this. It's the use of language I've a problem with, because the same people jumping to Ferris's defence would be the first ones screaming foul if Jackie Healy Ray starts referring to him as "The criminal Ferris".

Ferris is implying that people may feel pressured when a convicted criminal comes to the door looking for money. The same logic can be used to state the people may feel pressured when a convicted criminal comes the the door looking for a vote.

The stuff about "Sher he's not a criminal" is moronic. It would be stupid if pro-legalisation people said it about Foley as well. If you're convicted in an Irish court, you're a criminal unless that's overturned.

corelli

It matters not who reports a wrongdoing, what matters is that its reported and something is done about it.

Some Fine Gaelers are getting very tiresome and hypocritical. You lament parish pump politics while at the same time engaging in civil war politics.

That is not what I said. I merely said he is a hypocrite. Which he is by anyones understanding of the English language, he is.

He cannot, with a straight face and expecting public support, serve a term of imprisonment for arms importation, collect the convicted killers of a member of the Garda Siochana from prison and then turn around and criticise former gangland members for engaging in what, on the face of it, is a perfectly legitimate business, however distasteful.

By the way, this particular scumbag has already been run out of Galway by the local Gardai. I am quite sure the Gardai in Kerry are capable of similar.

GJG

Website
blog.hereshow.ie
  1. We know that the IRA are not criminals because they went on hunger strike.
  2. We know that criminals do not go on hunger strike, because the IRA did it and, as proven in point 1, the IRA are not criminals
Beautiful!

Circular reasoning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That said, convicted criminals such as Ferris and Foley should of course be debarred from this activity.

Libero

Sync said:
That it hasn't is not Martin Foley's fault, nor do I think he should be without a job in the event that new legislation is passed.
I think I've just heard the world's smallest violin.

Sync said:
I agree with Ferris's sentiment, I don't agree with singling out an individual like this.
Mr Foley is all in the business of singling out individuals, preferably in front of their families, neighbours and/or business colleauges - and often over a disputed or non-existent debt. Yet you think he deserves anonymity and/or no reference to his serious criminal past, at least from members of parliament.

I know you're a bit soft on wrongdoing in the Irish financial sector, but I'm still surprised to read someone sticking up for one of the worst scumbags in recent Irish history.