Virginia's female execution to go ahead.

Cato

Is the execution of a women in some way worse than the execution of a man?

Sync

No problem, I'll fix it for you. Do not let it happen again.

It's a country with a death penalty. What she did certainly falls under the criteria for that penalty. The lesson to be learned is don't pay assassins to murder your family in a country with the death penalty.

Joopface

Teresa Lewis, 41, was sentenced to death for providing sex and money to two men to kill her husband and stepson in October 2002 so she could collect on a $250,000 dollar (€187,000) insurance pay out.
I don't agree with the death penalty in principle.
But, if it exists, it should be applied to the sexes equally. What's the objection?

turdsl

America is well able to kill around the world when it suits, No wonder that they do it at home,

Scribbler

The OP is correct.
Can you imagine Fox News and the rest of the world's media if this was a woman in Iran?

asset test

Yes there should be no gender divide, if execution is on the books.

But "Ah me dinner jacket" in Iran is having a big hissy fit over the fact that the stoning to death of a woman in Iran is condemned around the world, while this lady's imminent execution is not getting the same global condemnation.

But then again her death will probably be by lethal injection. So it is OK in the US.

dresden8

No problem, I'll fix it for you. Do not let it happen again.

It's a country with a death penalty. What she did certainly falls under the criteria for that penalty.
Sync, you deliberately changed my thread title to lessen it's affect. You must have understood the point I was making, or else you were being deliberately thick.

For those who don't know my original thread title was "Iran female execution to go ahead".

Sync's explanation that "It's a country with a death penalty. What she did certainly falls under the criteria for that penalty" somewhat proves the point.

Iran also has death penalties. Women who we feel were unjustly sentenced to death had also fallen foul of Sync's rule of "It's a country with a death penalty. What she did certainly falls under the criteria for that penalty"

The difference here obviously is what Sync feels "certainly falls under the criteria for that penalty."

Or else Sync obviously feels that women who commit adultery in Iran deserve the death penalty because

"It's a country with a death penalty. What she did certainly falls under the criteria for that penalty"

It's the only reasonable explanation for his decision.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
While opposed to the death-penalty (except for genocide) this is a matter of gender-equality and as such she should be treated as a man in her situation would be.

Why is it that individual states in the USA decide whether to impose the death penalty or not. Surely if every citizen of the USA is equal under the law, then the Death Penalty should apply to all convicted murderers, or to none.

Of course the dealth penalty is a sign of a failed society.

TradCat

I'm against the death penalty but I am against it far more for non-crimes like adultery than for real crimes like murder.

Joopface

It's not comparable.
Firstly, to reiterate, I'm against any death penalty.

However;
1. A double murderer being killed by lethal injection after due process and a fair trial.

2. A woman being killed by stoning for adultery

The issue isn't the death penalty, surely it's the perception of the gravity of a given crime (or the perception of a given act as a crime for that matter), and the method of execution.

You want a death penalty thread, start one and I'll post all over it. But, the point you're making here isn't valid.

Sync

Sync's explanation that "It's a country with a death penalty. What she did certainly falls under the criteria for that penalty" somewhat proves the point.

Iran also has death penalties. Women who we feel were unjustly sentenced to death had also fallen foul of Sync's rule of "It's a country with a death penalty. What she did certainly falls under the criteria for that penalty

The difference here obviously is what Sync feels "certainly falls under the criteria for that penalty."

Or else Sync obviously feels that women who commit adultery in Iran deserve the death penalty because

"It's a country with a death penalty. What she did certainly falls under the criteria for that penalty"

It does fall under the criteria for the Virginia death penalty. Having adultery in Iran also falls under their criteria for the death penalty. Don't commit adultery in Iran and don't have your family murdered in Virginia.

I don't agree with the death penalty on any level, but if you can't see the difference in a state wanting to execute someone for the murder of their family and a country wanting to execute someone for having sex with the wrong person then there's something up with you. One's a barbaric crime that's going to get you at least life in prison in every country, and the other isn't even a crime in the vast majority of countries.

Do you really not get why the reactions to the 2 utterly different cases differs?

Newsy

I don't agree with the death penalty. It doesn't matter whether male or female, I am against it......no exceptions.

antiestablishmentarian

It says that she was borderline mentally retarded:
Rocap argued that one of the gunmen later claimed he manipulated Lewis, who is borderline mentally retarded, "to dupe her into believing he loved her so that he could achieve his own selfish goals".

Scribbler

Sync, you deliberately changed my thread title to lessen it's affect. You must have understood the point I was making, or else you were being deliberately thick.

For those who don't know my original thread title was "Iran female execution to go ahead".

Iran also has death penalties. Women who we feel were unjustly sentenced to death had also fallen foul of Sync's rule of "It's a country with a death penalty. What she did certainly falls under the criteria for that penalty"

Your thread title shouldn't have been touched. The post was valid and very appropriate. In fact, it made a point very well.
You should lodge a complaint.

Newsy

Why is it that individual states in the USA decide whether to impose the death penalty or not. Surely if every citizen of the USA is equal under the law, then the Death Penalty should apply to all convicted murderers, or to none.
Because in some States it is permissible. In others it has been voted off the books.

Virginia is one of the States that allows it.

New Threads

Most Replies