• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Visiting Dublin as an ex-pat.

My apologies to the mods if this is in the wrong place.

I had to visit Dublin yesterday (Friday), the main focus being to arrange a passport for my son. Lots of other stuff intervened; updating insurance etc etc.

I was shocked with the place. I haven't been home in two years, so I guess I can see things in a different manner to those who watch a gradual decline.

Yesterday I was genuinely shocked and saddened to see the deterioration in places such as Dame Street and Grafton Street.

Forget the "For Sale" signs; the general air od degradation, the cheap and nasty music blaring from newsagents was enough in itself. I was looking for a copy of Private Eye to read over breakfast. It took over half an hour to find a newsagent which stocked it. Even newsagents on or around Grafton Street seemed to stock only the IT and the Indo.

Along with the celeb mags and Phoenix.

Above all that, there was an air of decay and dismay. The place seemed to be full of a fug of regret and disassociation from a better past. Forlorn, I guess, is the word. I noticed an expensively decorated icecream shop which had a butcher's apostrophe in its signage.

The whole experience was deeply depressing. I passed a shop on Dame Street which had a guy in jeans and a red jacket showing his "ripped" torso. It was shiny and I genuinely thought that he may have been wearing a plastic shell.

I really hesitated outside Kapp and Peterson's because I simply wanted to go in and say "Good God, you at least are the same as you've always been."

I know that there is an inclination amongst expats to decry the place when we come back, but I was genuinely shocked at the state of the place.

Genuinely shocked.

stoichkov

it's wintertime and we've just had yet another austerity budget thrown at us. without wanting to sound arsey, what did you expect?

ruserious

Waterford is becoming a desert town fast.

drummed

Its the most depressing city in Europe this side of Bratislava. Always was.
At least you missed the criminal gangs who've taken over and the lowifes who frequent the streets by the sound of it.
I think you saw the best of it.

it's wintertime and we've just had yet another austerity budget thrown at us. without wanting to sound arsey, what did you expect?
You don't sound "arsey", which is a word I'll be using frequently from now. Arr I didn't expect much, but I expected more. I taxied all over the place and places such as Rathmines just seemed grubby and desolate.

oggy

Private Eye not spotted in Dublin. How awful that such a British magazine full of exclusive British material is not being read by the populace of Dublin. When I lived in London a million years ago the same magazine along with New Statesman and was it Spectator were regulars on my reading list. I have been in London, Liverpool, Manchester, Bradford, Blackpool in last couple of years and yes a good guess, Dublin holds its own with them

Colin M

Forget the "For Sale" signs; the general air od degradation, the cheap and nasty music blaring from newsagents was enough in itself. I was looking for a copy of Private Eye to read over breakfast. It took over half an hour to find a newsagent which stocked it. Even newsagents on or around Grafton Street seemed to stock only the IT and the Indo.

Along with the celeb mags and Phoenix.
Is this meant to be a serious example of a city going to f*ck?

Socratus O' Pericles

Dun Laoghaire likewise there must be over a dozen vacant premises in the Main Street -when the xmas is over and all the popups are gone it'll only need the tumbleweed.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Was sort of bright this weekend with the winter festival on. (costing €500,000)

I could almost forget the 25% unemployment and that most of my friends have emigrated.

Private Eye not spotted in Dublin. How awful that such a British magazine full of exclusive British material is not being read by the populace of Dublin. When I lived in London a million years ago the same magazine along with New Statesman and was it Spectator were regulars on my reading list. I have been in London, Liverpool, Manchester, Bradford, Blackpool in last couple of years and yes a good guess, Dublin holds its own with them
It is a symptom of a malaise, not the defining characteristic of it. The Dublin of my experience has lots of access to lots of resources. It troubles me that what were once reliable sources of a wide range of media in Dublin city centre are now equivalent to an Ashleaf Centre type of news outlet which goes big on Lads' Mags and celebrity junk.

Kev408

Why was your presence required in Ireland for your son's passport application? Genuine question.

oggy

It is a symptom of a malaise, not the defining characteristic of it. The Dublin of my experience has lots of access to lots of resources. It troubles me that what were once reliable sources of a wide range of media in Dublin city centre are now equivalent to an Ashleaf Centre type of news outlet which goes big on Lads' Mags and celebrity junk.
Ask any newsagent here or in UK and you will be told about the problems associated with stocking newspapers and magazines. I know a couple of them and they say the amount of time in dealing with unsolds and getting credit on returns is deeply frustrating. If there is a large city like Dublin free of problems assoiated with the recession I would get on a plane immediately to have a look

Blossie

Listowel county Kerry is pretty bad,there is a line of 5 closed shops all with for sale signs on them. Tralee town centre shopping centre can no longer be called a shopping centre as most of the shops have closed. I still cannot understand how the government believe that taking money away from people will help the economy.

stakerwallace

We are now reading Der Spiegel, don't you know and not Private Eye which was written for the titillation of ex-public school boys.